Building a 12x16 shed - Screws vs nails

I am building a 12x16 shed with 5ft patio.

What is everyone's opinions on screws vs nails? If I go nails, I will buy an M18 nailer. I of course already own several impact drivers

Screws, nails might be cheap but a good framing nail gun will be close to the extra cost of structural screws. I just bought 500 - 4 inch GRK structural screws ($260) for a 50x24 pole barn and the comparison cost was a wash.

1711319001941.jpg

Thanks, thats what my thought was too! Nails always seem to come loose too. My house from 68 has plenty of loose framing

Screws. Who wants to swing a hammer any more? and it’ll come apart easier, if you do it wrong the first time (all my projects, there’s a high likelihood of getting something wrong at some point and having to redo a board or three).

What size? I’ve never paid attention, whatever is cheap for the required length, I guess.

I forgot to mention, I've built 2 12x12 sheds with reclaimed tin using deck screws for the entire projects and they are still standing after about 12 years. Your not "supposed" to use deck screws, but both are still solid after some good texas wind storms. I only went for structural screws this time around because I had the extra budget.

I just learned about structural screws this past year building a lean-to addition on to my workplace pole barn. A contractor friend of mine that does a fair amount of pole barn and other projects swears by them. I used the FastenMaster/Timberlok and Simpson Strong Tie brands available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Last edited:
Alright I'm thinking

GRK R4 10 x 3-1/8 for General Framing

GRK R4 9 x 2-1/2 for Attaching Sheathing and adding the second top plate

Note, I will already be using Simpson Strong-Drive® SDWC™ TRUSS Screw for attaching rafters, so that will also go through both top plates

Bottom plate will be treated, and attached with 1/2 x 6 wedge anchors to concrete slab

Any reason to drop down to the #9's for the general framing?

Structural screws replace lag bolts.. do you need to use the expensive screws on everything?

So I got a question, how do you know which screw length to use?
Say screwing a 2x4 to a 4x4, I would use a 3 inch screw, right?
or what about a 2x4 into a 2x6? how much of the screw thread needs to be in the next piece of wood?

So I got a question, how do you know which screw length to use?
Say screwing a 2x4 to a 4x4, I would use a 3 inch screw, right?
or what about a 2x4 into a 2x6? how much of the screw thread needs to be in the next piece of wood?

I am not an expert, but I go with as much as possible without poking out (If it matters), and without hindering future fastening

That is why I am using 2-1/2 for the sheathing, so I have less chance of hitting a screw when I attach things from the inside

2x to 2x, I usually go for 2-1/2 or 3. 3 might poke a little though if the head gets buried. 2x to 4x, could go 3 or 3-1/8, or even 3-1/2 or 4

Thoughts on #9 vs #10 screw? I always default to GRK or SPAX (Now GRK that HD doesn't carry SPAX!)
If you’re looking for strength, #10. If you’re looking for easy to drive, smaller, with calculations where needed.

I’d look for spax. A company worth keeping in business, as opposed to buying overseas items.

Don’t underestimate nails. I own a few century old buildings, and the nailed parts aren’t coming loose. They will perform better in shear, and can be much faster and easier to install, even with a good impact.

Thanks all, I ordered the #10 GRK for the general framing

Question for y'all, there will be a non load bearing wall with a 32 inch entry door. All the pictures of wall framing online show a double 2x6 or 2x8 header above a door. Why? Why not just double 2x4? seems like double 2x4 header would be plenty strong, especially on a 32 door

I built mine with deck screws. 2x4 walls on 16” centers. Floor is 2x4 treated with 1/2” treated underlayment and 3/4” plywood sheeting on top. T1-11 siding. I cut a hole for the door and used the cuttings to make a nice barn style hinged double door on front. I don’t think you need that double header over your door. It’s a shed, and if you look at a commercial shed, they aren’t built even close to as heavy as what I built.

Back