Buick Regal Tour X Questions…

Looking at one of these as an upgrade to my wifes 2009 Pontiac Vibe (Matrix) AWD. Need something with more room and I’ve always steered her to what I know, Honda Passport being my #1 choice since I’ve own a first gen Ridgeline for years now. My problem is I know almost nothing about GM cars. The 3 main selling points being, AWD system, from what I’ve seen from YouTube videos and TFL car it seems pretty capable, both front and rear and side to side power transfer. The other two being the Transmission (Aisin 8 speed) and the 2.0l turbo 4.

I think the 8 speed is pretty stout with little to worry there, but the GM 2.0l I know absolutely nothing about. Any issues with the engine or the car as a whole I should know about before we even consider looking at the car in question (2019 base w 8100 miles). I know the stop/start is complained about some, but can be removed via either an engine tune or OBDII plug in device. Anything else to look at if we do decide to go test drive it?

Stop start sucks as you can expect. The LTG engine is fine. Aisin trans good. Fit and finish are above average coming from Opel in europe.

Its so low volume and discontinued so i cant 100% recommend it but it was a fantastic ride for us. With child number 3 we were forced to sell it for a Kia Carnival van.

TourX Essense with driver packages 1 and 2 is what we had and it felt quite luxurious.

I wish i would have kept it around if i had endless space to safely store cars.

And this can be disabled with an aftermarket device.
The best disable is a tune but then you torch its generous warranty. The little under hood thing had something that bothered me. We chose to live with it for the time we owned it. Something like 12k miles.

The best disable is a tune but then you torch its generous warranty. The little under hood thing had something that bothered me. We chose to live with it for the time we owned it. Something like 12k miles.
I test drove (about 30 miles) a 2021 Silverado-the Start/stop and the DSI motor was absolutely seamless. Much smoother than my 2018 with AFM.

one of the most hated and mocked vehicles in all of europe. opel’s reputation is tarnished beyond all repair

actually pretty good cars though

My wife's Malibu has the LTG 2.0 Turbo. Great little engine we are at 75,000 miles. Never an issue. Never been back for warranty work or anything else for that matter. I change the oil every 4000 to 5000 miles because of the DI. I did the plugs at 60,000 as recommended.

Great car, I love mine!

With a tune, it really wakes up, and can move out really well for its size and weight. The tune also gets rid of start/stop.
I added air bags to the rear as it is a bit soft.
Parts are hard to find, as it is a rare car (I would love to find stiffer shocks).
The adaptive cruise control works quite well.
Gets GREAT fuel economy if you can keep your foot out of it. On a trip from Iowa to NC we had a worst tank of 38 mpg, and a best of 42. I am averaging ~25, but that is only city driving, and I like to take advantage of the tune ;-)

I actually get questions/comments on it from random people about once a week. It is a really good looking car in person. Fit and finish is above average. It will look good for years to come.

Wasnt there discussion about using the EURO spec springs on these? and wasn't someone building a RSB for them also?
If there was, I didn't see it, and I don't know what an RSB is.
Searching the TourX forums, the most common thing is to add these, which seem to work well for me.

But, as any engineer knows...increasing spring rate without increasing damping, isn't perfect - hence my search for better shocks.

I've had my 2019 TourX for 2 years and 20k miles now. I bought the car when it was about a year old with 14k miles as a former GM demo and paid a little under $26k . Overall, I still have an overall positive view of this car. Here's a list of what I consider to be pros and cons.

Pros:
  • Dot matrix LED headlights - the headlights are simply phenomenal. I have no issues seeing in all conditions, including dark rainy nights. With my prior cars and halogens, it was hard to see at night driving on the interstate (especially in the rain). Not with the TourX lights. It also has cornering lights which really help when driving on suburban roads at night.
  • Bose audio system - is excellent. I'm sure some people will not agree, but I think it sounds clear and balanced with minimal distortion. The bass is good enough to be bass without being overwhelming.
  • AWD system - this car uses a GKN twinster rear differential (the same one used in the Ford Focus RS). It has two clutches in the rear differential which can send power individually to the rear wheels. In heavy cornering, the car will use the torque vectoring in the rear differential to help the car corner. Traction was excellent in the snow as well.
  • Engine - the most notable thing about the engine is the overall refinement and the levels of torque. I find the engine to be very quiet and make an unobtrusive noise for a 4 cylinder. The nearly 300 lb ft of torque is really nice when passing on the highway and pulling hills. Oil changes are easy on this engine as well. My only concern would be the direct injection over time.
  • Interior space - This car has plenty of room to fit 4 adults and luggage comfortably. The cargo area is surprisingly spacious, especially with the rear seats folded down. I actually fit a low back sofa in the back of the TourX at one point.
  • Heat - this car puts out excellent heat in the winter and warms up very quickly. I suspect it may have an additional electric heater because I start getting heat in a minute but I am not sure.
  • Heated steering wheel - this is a must have in the winter climate. It's so nice not having to touch a freezing steering wheel.
  • Ride comfort - the ride on this car is quite good. I would say it favors comfort over handling. This car has no problem taking corners faster than most cars on the road, but it's first intention is not to be a Porsche.
  • Foot activated power tailgate - I expected this system to be a gimmick, but I actually use it all the time and miss it when I'm using other cars without it. The tailgate opens quickly and at a nice height (nice for taller people).
  • Brakes - this car has huge "high performance" brakes which have excellent stopping power. They are quiet and don't dust. Another plus is they last a long time. I've never seen a car last more than 30k miles on brakes in my area, and the TourX pads on all 4 corners have barely worn and seem like they will likely last another 60-70k.
Average:
  • MPG - I get between 20-21 city and about 28-31 MPG on the highway. I don't think this is bad, but I don't consider it great either. Keep in mind this car recommends 93 octane so you will pay a bit more at the pump. Regular 87 octane can be used, but you loose some power.
  • Infotainment system - the system overall works well but it is not without some minor faults. I have the 8" screen with Nav. The Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are much appreciated. Be aware the infotainment changed between the 2018 and 2019 model years.
Cons:
  • Transmission - the transmission can be somewhat dimwitted and slow to respond. This is 100 percent a programming setting and not a fault of the transmission itself. I would take this transmission over a CVT any day.
  • Road noise - this car is very susceptible to the type of tires it has on it. I would say this car is quiet, but not Cadillac quiet. Remember this car is an Opel. With the Michelin CrossClimate 2s, this car is almost whisper quiet. With the stock tires, I would say the car was somewhat loud on the highway. This car is still way quieter than most other cars and I suspect it would be a night and day difference compared to a Vibe.
  • Load handling - the rear suspension of this car will start to sag with a lot of weight. It should be fine with people and general luggage, but people with 50 pound bags of mulch would likely be unpleasant.
  • Front visibility - it is basically impossible to see the front end of this car from the drivers seat. This is really only an issue when parking and a lot of cars suffer from it.
  • Parts availability - The majority of mechanical parts are not terrible to get for this car since it shares the same chassis with a Malibu. The big problem are body panels. You can get them, but they have to come from Germany and it takes a while. Some parts are also US specific (ie rear tail lights), which could pose future issues.
  • Minor reliability issues - I've had some minor annoyance type issues with this car. Nothing that was show stopping or left the car stranded. One was a small water leak into the spare tire well. It was solved by replacing a trim piece on the rear and sealing the mount holes with clear silicon. Second is a front end noise when the car is cold. This is still ongoing and the front strut mounts and control arms have been replaced. Third are vibration issues, which seem to be from the tires. The factory tires are filled with foam that detaches and causes vibrations. I will say that this car is EXTREMELY sensitive to tire balance and you will feel it if they aren't balanced perfectly. Forth, the rear foot tailgate light had to be replaced because the Buick projector logo started to deform.
Overall, I'd buy this car again for the price I paid. I feel that it is a great value. I would recommend the Essence model as it adds most of the "nice to have" items. I'd try to avoid a model with the panoramic sunroof as a lot of people have problems with the sunshade, and as with any sunroof there is a potential for water leaks.

Looking at one of these as an upgrade to my wifes 2009 Pontiac Vibe (Matrix) AWD. Need something with more room and I’ve always steered her to what I know, Honda Passport being my #1 choice since I’ve own a first gen Ridgeline for years now. My problem is I know almost nothing about GM cars. The 3 main selling points being, AWD system, from what I’ve seen from YouTube videos and TFL car it seems pretty capable, both front and rear and side to side power transfer. The other two being the Transmission (Aisin 8 speed) and the 2.0l turbo 4.

I think the 8 speed is pretty stout with little to worry there, but the GM 2.0l I know absolutely nothing about. Any issues with the engine or the car as a whole I should know about before we even consider looking at the car in question (2019 base w 8100 miles). I know the stop/start is complained about some, but can be removed via either an engine tune or OBDII plug in device. Anything else to look at if we do decide to go test drive it?
The AWD is Haldex Gen4 XWD from Saab. Just adds another Haldex coupling to the rear axle for torque vectoring.

Havent updated this thread for a bit, but we did just find a Tour X Essence with 43000 miles on it that is looking like it may be coming home with us next week.

Regarding the DI engine. Ive been lucky (unlucky)? enough to not have to deal with one yet in my life. First thing would be use the CRC DI spray on it and then get a good Low SAPS oil.. Any recommendations on stuff I can get at locally, Walmart, Autozone, Advanced. Ill keep the OCI low at 5000 miles or so but that about all it will see in a year since my wife has a work truck.

Only way to know is to take it for a drive, very satisfied with the 2.0T in my 2017 Regal GS. ;)

A truly modern day dinosaur......
Yeah sucks to have all the modern features, comfortable ride, tons of cargo space, useful roof rack height, apple car play, heated leather, super common GM engine and aisin trans. Such a terrible car! /sarcasm.

Ill probably be looking over this "dinosaur" next week, looks like problem areas are rear diff, water leaking into the spare tire compartment, check for a bad battery by introducing heavy load on it, and to make sure the pano sunroof isn't leaking and the sun shade works correctly.

Not entirely sure about the oil though, something low SAPS I can find at walmart or another local auto store......

Yeah sucks to have all the modern features, comfortable ride, tons of cargo space, useful roof rack height, apple car play, heated leather, super common GM engine and aisin trans. Such a terrible car! /sarcasm.
That's not made any more....right? And sold in minuscule numbers? Sorry to step on this scared cow on here...revered just like the Crown Vic.

That's not made any more....right? And sold in minuscule numbers? Sorry to step on this scared cow on here...revered just like the Crown Vic.
True, it is discontinued, and of european build. Parts like the rear hatch could get real hard to find in the future. I still miss ours and wish we had it back. Only sold to facilitate additional children. Not saying i would trade kid #3 for a Tourx or anything but i miss the vehicle.

Reactions: CKN
Back