Buick or VW?

six speedThe transmissions in either… not so sure who has the nod here. Was Tiptronic the DSG one, with the DMF? if so, Id avoid. If conventional then I think it might be a toss up.

The Jetta Mk5 2.5 came with a conventional six-speed Aisin, quite reliable.
I'd choose depending on preference and condition.

That the Buick really is a geezers car.
Criteria is reliability and not how he feels driving it. I have a 2002 Buick as my now beater with the 3800 engine and the total engine maintenance on it in 21 years has been a failed thermostat, a new alternator and plugs. Has about 190,000 miles on it. Most reliable car I have owned. Ran 5W-30 conventional and OEM filters done when the OLM monitor said to get it done.

I've never had good luck with GM products, but the Buick with the 3800 engine would be my choice of the two.

The Buick by 2007 should have the updated gaskets and the series 3 is the best 3800. The 4t65e should have all the updates by 07. I just did struts and shocks all the way around on my 05. I purchased Grand Prix Comp G units firmed it right up. The Jetta should be fine too. My 02 Jetta was poo and I would take Buick all day, but this Jetta is much better and the 2.5 is good. I would be looking at condition, history and price. I would chose based off of those 3.

I currently own a 3800 Buick, have owned three others in the past. Reliable, cheap and easy repairs if needed. Even the 4t65E’s all held up fine.
Can’t comment on the Jetta as I haven’t owned one.

VERY different cars, VERY different to drive and look at, so personal preference will dominate. Would be a bit concerned as time goes by on availability of spares for the VW, but a common enough vehicle for parts suppliers to continue to support.

VW Passat (6 cylinder), and older VW Cabriolet as well as VW R32 all in the family. All manual trans. Taught my children and their friends to drive manuals. All appreciated it. Some never looked back! Not bad to work on once you learn the idiosyncrasies.

For me the euro ride, fun factor and a smaller vehicle is preferable...but that is just my personal preference! Good for around town and shorter trips, but maybe not the best for touring/long distances.

Jetta 2.5, had one before it got totaled, reached 400,000 miles on it with very limited repairs, but in my case was brand new, and was taken care of.
Had the Aisin 6 speed in it.

Really good car for long distance driving and city commuting.

Depends on which one has been maintained the most really.

The VW with a 2.5 and Japanese automatic is a lot more reliable than many BITOGER's will give it credit for. Many parts on the 06' Jetta are shared with the Golf. The Golf is a popular car in Europe with a lot of aftermarket support, so parts are available for years if you know where to look.
The brake and suspension tidbits on the Buick wear out quicker than the VW I'm guessing.

The VW with a 2.5 and Japanese automatic is a lot more reliable than many BITOGER's will give it credit for. Many parts on the 06' Jetta are shared with the Golf. The Golf is a popular car in Europe with a lot of aftermarket support, so parts are available for years if you know where to look.
The brake and suspension tidbits on the Buick wear out quicker than the VW I'm guessing.
Is there an easy way to tell which transmission is in the VW?

Also to note, I've learned to steer clear from recommending and inspecting vehicles for friends and family. I eagerly did it when I was younger. However, it can come back on you. I as sure don't want to say, hey that Buick is A ok, and 40K miles later they expect me to work on it for them. Tell them the internet is your friend.

Between those two, I would think the decision is fun to drive versus reliability and long term cost of ownership.

No doubt, the Jetta would be more fun to drive. But the Buick should prove to be much more reliable, with a lower long term cost of ownership. If his budget is why he is looking at 16-17 year old car options, I would think long term cost of ownership would be a priority.

So, short answer is Buick.

To refresh my memory, I just looked at pics of both. For me at least, that generation of Jetta is nothing special to look at. The Buick is actually a little nicer looking than the Jetta.

Sorry, a little off topic. I know the OP asked only about reliability.

All things being equal which is most likely to be a reliable vehicle, a 2007 Buick Lucerne with the 3800 engine or a 2006 VW Jetta with the inline five cylinder? Both cars have similar mileage. The VW has a six speed Tiptronic transmisssion, the Buick has a four speed auto. I’m helping a relative buy a car and I’m not sure either would be the best option but they are in his price range and he likes them.
My daughter has a 2008 Jetta SE we bought it with 15k miles in 2010. Currently has about 180k on it. Only repairs were MAF, replaced A/C compressor this year and fixed solenoid to release fuel door. I would take the VW. As bad as people make VW to be I would take it over GM any day The car still looks great yhe interior and paint present well still. I have seen many GM cars that werent garaged and they look ready for the junkyard and their interiors are a mess. Seats look like the cushion all out of shape

Back