Buick & Jaguar # 1 According to.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW YORK–J.D. Power and Associates says Jaguar has surged to the top of its closely watched vehicle dependability study, tying Buick for the No. 1 spot and dethroning Lexus.

J.D. Power says it is the first time Lexus has not occupied the top spot since Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury brand was first part of the survey in 1995.

Lexus took second place in the study, followed by Toyota's namesake brand, then Mercury, Infiniti and Acura.

The annual study measures problems experienced by the original owners of vehicles after three years.

By segment, Lexus took three top honors while Toyota brand vehicles swept four. General Motors Corp.'s Buick LaCrosse (called Buick Allure in Canada) took the top award for midsize car, while Ford Motor Co.'s Lincoln brand took two awards, and Chrysler's Dodge Caravan won

I was surprised that Scion scored so far below Lexus/Toyota in the ratings. Must be the average age of the owners. As in the case of Buick, older car owners take better care of their vehicles and therefore have fewer problems.

J.D.Power Study PDF

maybe a little kickback to J.D. Power from Buick? or maybe GM got lucky? My mom had a 94 Buick Century for 7 years and we never had any problems from it. Guess that's why GM is keeping Buick instead of Pontiac and Saturn....

Buicks usually do pretty well in CR ratings as well. The only reason people think they're not reliable is because they're part of GM. (images of Cavaliers dance through my mind, too)

Scion always does bad, but they're cheap cars and the people who own them probably don't take good care of them. What can you expect?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Buicks usually do pretty well in CR ratings as well. The only reason people think they're not reliable is because they're part of GM. (images of Cavaliers dance through my mind, too)

Scion always does bad, but they're cheap cars and the people who own them probably don't take good care of them. What can you expect?

So do the Scions dance with the Cavaliers in your mind?

i rented a 2008 Buick LaCrosse last Friday, it was a very nice car, had 15,000 miles on it.

i drove it about three hundred miles, took my elderly parents and uncle up to a wake in northern mn. it got a little over 28 mpg when all my driving was done.

seemed like a car worth owning (depending on the price) although the engine had way more pick up than i every would need, i would have rather had more mpg's then hp. but thats just me.

so i gotta ask, how old do you have to be to like buick's? i've had several and found them to be an excellent value. i'm 48 years old.

either Lex's bid went down this year and was outdone by GM and Ford for their "upper" vehicle lines....or JD Power agreed to sidle with the ailing American marques as a good gesture. Either way, JD Power ratings are more politically derived than honestly IMO. That doesnt mean GM, Ford can't make a decently problem-free ride, though. They have proven themselves on some level.

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
either Lex's bid went down this year and was outdone by GM and Ford for their "upper" vehicle lines....or JD Power agreed to sidle with the ailing American marques as a good gesture. Either way, JD Power ratings are more politically derived than honestly IMO. That doesnt mean GM, Ford can't make a decently problem-free ride, though. They have proven themselves on some level.

The Lexus product line has grown significantly in recent years. Hybrid models can be problematic and owners who are accustomed to dead-on reliability are going to complain about every little thing.

By comparison, Buick sells only three models (Lacrosse, Lucerne, Enclave) and offers no hybrids or exotic models. Jaguar probably had four models on the survey; X Type, S Type, XJ and XK. All have been around a long time for them to work out the bugs.

Both Jaguar and Buick sell in low numbers so the statistical pool is rather small. I don't have the data in front of me but I'm sure Lexus outsells both Buick and Jaguar combined by a healthy margin. More cars + exotic drivetrains = more potential problems.

Buick owners don't kow what a good car is. BiL has one w/ IMG leak and blown engine and then bought another. He's clueless like the rest of them.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
so i gotta ask, how old do you have to be to like buick's? i've had several and found them to be an excellent value. i'm 48 years old.

When you stop worrying about what other people, including girls, think about your car, you're ready. Or when you appreciate quality at a low price.

I loved all three of my Mercedes, but they were pricey to keep up. And I've never owned a Japanese car, so I can't compare long-term ownership of the Buick to them. Mine's a great value, and I wish I'd tried a Buick sooner.

Buick has been in the top 5 of this survey for a long time now. Where as Landrover and VW have been consistently bringing up the rear. So we are not just looking at one years results here.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Buick owners don't kow what a good car is. BiL has one w/ IMG leak and blown engine and then bought another. He's clueless like the rest of them.

Instead of just adding antifreeze when the low light comes on, the problem can be corrected by getting it fixed when it first starts for about the cost of a routine maintenance timing belt job on an import.

Originally Posted By: HM12460

I've got a buick and I'm 23.. :)

carshow645jw5.jpg

carshow9gd5.jpg

If the new LaCrosse wasn't wrong wheel drive, I'd be all over the Super Model. The FWD LS derived engine models are capable of high 13s, bone stock. Being LS derived there are 100s if not 1000s of performance mods for the engine. Not to mention full tuning ability. Now, whether the trans would hold up would be another thing.

I'd buy a car regardless of brand if it gets the job done to my liking. I'd own a Toyota if they'd make an AWD sedan. (Regular sedan, not some hatchback small thingy). They don't, so that's why my current daily driver is a subaru legacy :)

I can remember when GM got in a whole lot of trouble when they put Chevy 350's in Oldsmobiles and Buicks (I can't remember if any made their way into Pontiacs at the time)!

And didn't bother to tell anybody!

Thas' one fine Roadmaster, BTW!

Cheers!

Jaguar is one of the least likely cars to be ticketed. Combine that with the geriatric abilities of Buick and you get an owner base that are far from "car aware".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back