Brother's 2003 Chrysler Sebring with a 2.7l v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
boy you folks sure know how to bring em up. The Aveo is the other exception to the rule of checking the oil. These Aveo's are hazardous--still treat em OK, just absolutely hate em

Steve

1nighttrain, when you ran 5w40 in your wife's car, could you notice any difference in how the engine sounded & ran with the thicker weight? So far I've come up empty with the 10w30 Rotella, but have a couple other places to call/check tomorrow and the 5w40 is at multiple stores.

Originally Posted By: steve20
as far as it being a good little motor giving up to 34 MPG.....................I beg to differ-I've rented plenty of Chargers with this boat anchor for an engine, and the experience was anything but 'great', in fact it is one of the most annoying cars I've driven in quite a long time

Steve

They should never have offered it in the Charger/300 (LX platform). Its a decent little engine in an Avenger or Sebring, but putting it in a Charger was just like putting the slant-6 in a Fury back in the 60s. Bad idea all around. The 3.5, on the other hand, moves an LX pretty well. Its a reasonable entry-level engine for that platform.

goaliefergy53, we didn't notice any difference mith the sound or the fuel mileage , but i only ran the rotella 5w40 when it was hot/worm and we only ran the 5w40 for about 8or9 thousand miles since then it been 10w30 high mileage super tech or valvoline is what I've been running for probably the last 40thousand miles , no oil consumption between oil changes the car has 150,ooo so far , the over head fuel mileage average is in the mid 20's for everyday driving and 30 to 32 on the nystate Thruway at 70/75mph

after warrantee expires how many people go to the dealer with engine problems...They usually go to their mechanics and their mechanics usually take it to a machine shop anyway for an overhaul we do a lot of 2.7 engines

Sadly no one around here seems to stock Rotella 10w30 in either conventional or sny-blend. I'm going to pick up some Valvoline Max-Life Full Synthetic 5w30 to run in it and give that a go. During the summer months might try the full synthetic Rotella 5w40 to see how it works.

What's the largest oil filter you're able to use clearance wise?

Apparently my brother took the car in for some warranty work (lots of electrical issues) and they found the water pump was leaking so they're replacing it. He should have his car back by Saturday so I'll definitely pull the valve covers to see if there's any sludge in there.....

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I actually bought a used 1999 Intrepid on a whim without really looking into it, and as soon as I started reading up on the problems with the 2.7 and finding tons of cars with this engine on Ebay/Craigslist with blown engines, I dumped the thing. It has 96k on it, and was a ticking time bomb IMO

If I was stuck with one of these, I would run syn 5w-30 at a 3k interval. If you did this from new, I would think you would be ok. But on a car with an unknown maintenance history, no way!

I have a 2001 Intrepid with 2.7. Currently at 270K miles (just over 435K km); original engine. Water pump, all 3 timing chains and tensioners and chain guides all changed at around 218K miles (349K km). Admittedly, mine is clearly an exception.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back