Broken dipstick...its not what you think, hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was checking the oil in the Jetta and found the dipstick broke. It broke at the base that attaches to the tube. I got one on order for 6 bucks. Anyway there are some small plastic pieces that are way down the tube. Can i pour some oil or use contact cleaner to force the pieces back down into the pan. Right now i drove the car without the dipstick and so far so good. After i came home i covered the tube with foil and a zip tie.

Depends on your year but some of the dip stick tubes press on (they have a o-ring holding onto the tube in the block) to some of them use a small screw holding the tube on the block.

I had my dipstick break and just pulled out the tube. The dip stick then was easy to pull out and re-installed everything.

Simple project when I did mine.

Take care, Bill

PS: Is your dip stick the small rod one? Mine broke right where it goes into the handle/pull ring...

Its not the stick itself but the plastic around it. Its the plastic part that goes down the tube.

The dipstick on my 2000 Sentra broke at the pull ring when I tried to pull it out one day. So there I stood with a yellow ring in my hand, as the dipstick itself slid down the tube.

I don't know how Nissan dipstick tubes are attached, but it took them the better part of a day to get it out and replace it.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
The dipstick on my 2000 Sentra broke at the pull ring when I tried to pull it out one day. So there I stood with a yellow ring in my hand, as the dipstick itself slid down the tube.

I don't know how Nissan dipstick tubes are attached, but it took them the better part of a day to get it out and replace it.

I have the dipstick out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back