briggs & stratton 28 HP oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHE

changed oil at 5 hrs as instructions say used 5w30 full syn oil briggs says this covers all temp ranges. Engine uses this oil after about 30 min you have to add oil. any help please guess will go to dino 30 weight.

What oil is getting eaten up? but remember you are still in wear in - I would not use ILSAC oil during wear in or use a 5w-xx pcmo.
Shell RT5.

Last edited:
I have a John Deere 102 with the 17HP Briggs and Scrapiron. When i tried using a PCMO 10W30, just to try it out, it burned a lot of oil. About 1/2 qt over 4 mows or so. If you use a HDEO like RotellaT it wont burn any oil. I use John Deere turf guard in my mower(10w30). never burns a drop.

My old snapper rider didn't burn a drop out of its 12 horse briggs on full syn. For that much oil to go missing, are you seeing smoke? It's gotta be leaking somewhere. 5w30 syn won't burn off THAT much faster than anything else.

no leaks, contacted briggs they say if you use 10w30 in warm weather motor will use oil. so why would they say 5w30 syns for all temp range in book i got with mower on the engine

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would use a 30 HDEO. Its always warm when you cut grass. Now if it was a generator in the north, maybe a different story.

+1 I do the same thing with all my small machines. My generator has syn 5w-30 mostly for cold weather pumpability and lack of use it receives

GC (stands for German Castrol) is an oil that has plenty of praise here on BITOG. It is Castrol Syntec 0W-30, it will say "European Formula" on the front of the black bottle, and it will say "Made in Germany" on the back of the bottle in small hard to find white print somewhere near the bar code.

This one oil is unique in that it is made by blending 5 percent of a special oil made in Japan that has a weight of about 200. This oil tends to stop consumption and small oil leaks, it holds up well in hot weather and flow well in cold weather. If you look at the specks on Castrol sites you can see that it protects better than their 5W-30 and better than their 10W-30.

Auto Zone and Pep-Boys are the only places to get it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some other great oils are Mobil 15W-50 (great for hot weather), Rotella T5 15W-40 (for summer), Rotella T6 5W-40, Mobil TDT (turbo diesel truck), Mobil 0W-40, and Mobil Delvac 1300, or any oil marketed for use in a motorcycle. Most Pep-Boys have a separate section for motorcycle oils.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But probably the best to stop oil consumption would be the GC.

Try GC for about a half hour run, and if it still consumes oil the next thing you would have to figure out is who is going to pull the engine apart to check for things like a piston missing one or more piston rings, (you, a local small engine mechanic, or someone who honors the warranty). It would not be the first engine put together with someone forgetting to put one or more rings on a piston.

Last edited:
Think of the 200 viscosity oil molecules blocking small leaks, and you will have an idea of how GC even though it is a 0W-30 being able to stop leaks.

A straight 30 weight would be a step in the right direction for stopping oil consumption, but GC is probably better.

I found some royal purple straight 30w syn will pull out castrol edge in gold bottle. and see what happens, think i should change filter brand new when i put the castrol in.

Give it a chance to break in. You've only got 5 hours on it. Let it get up around 20-25 hours and then see how much oil it uses.

Saying that, I usually run 30wt in the mowers and 5w-30 in the generator.

My 26 hp Briggs used a bit of oil all the way out to ten hours. Run it hard and do not change it too often.

It needs a load so the governor will throttle it up and work the engine.

Originally Posted By: JHE
I found some royal purple straight 30w syn will pull out castrol edge in gold bottle. and see what happens, think i should change filter brand new when i put the castrol in.

Good idea on the filter. In the future I'd suggest an HDEO straight 30wt. such as Shell Rotella, Walmart has it in gallon jugs.

No PCMO oils for air cooled engines, especially in warm climates.

Royal Purple is overpriced and overrated in my opinion.

personally I would use a straight 30W. there is no reason to run a 10w-30 in your region. Briggs even admits that oil consumption is increased with a 10-30.

thanks guys, talked to briggs and a lot of small engine people in the south. All say run 30 weight dino for first 50 to 75 hours then if you must run synt use straight 30 weight or 15w50 or 20w50. Best would be straight 30 weight synt. Replaced 10w30 synt in my mower to rotella 30 weight now no oil useage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back