briggs & stratton 28 HP oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 24 HP V2 B&S from new. I have changed oil once in 2 years. The oil is still clean and I have added only about 1 cup since the change. Mobil 1 5-30. Alabama.

Do you see exhaust smoke at cold start, at hot start? Possibly, the engine is leaking the oil. What do the plugs look like? Are you using excessive choke?

If you want to stay away from synthetic, I also have had great success with any flavor 15W40 HDEO. I have a B&S Intek and have run it on any 15W40 for the past 4 years without a worry. It may not be quite as hot here as in MS., but my engine won't bog, sips gas, and starts with one tap of the key. I might add 4oz. once a season, and only change the oil and filter at the end of September. After my 15W40 stash is used up, I'll switch to a 5W40 because that's what I'm running in my splitter and will be putting it in my generator for ease of maintenance and supply.

My JD L110 had Briggs 17.5 HP in it. JD dealer said to run dino 10W30 for at "least 50 hours". After that it was my choice. Ran RP 10W30 with Wix 1348 filter, never had to add oil. Probably could have run oil/filter two years the way it came out, but changed it every fall before storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back