Briggs Intek V-twin oil level- book or dipstick?

I changed the oil on the Craftsman yard tractor yesterday at 24 hrs, & noticed again that, like on the previous oil change, the dipstick & owner's manual disagree. Book calls for 2 qts(64 oz) including new oil filter; like last time, looks like it's gonna take near 2 1/2 qts to hit the full mark on the dipstick. I quit adding oil last night at what I suspect is about 8-9 oz "extra", pouring from a fresh 1-gallon jug of Shell Rotella 15w40. Jug has window & Qt marks. Tractor was in level concrete carport.

Engine: Briggs Intek V-Twin 24 HP, full flow oil system with filter. Like last time, I used a Havoline T-29 filter(Purolator PP L10241 clone), only about 3/4" longer than the factory filter- nowhere near enough extra capacity to account for the discrepancy.

Has anyone else noticed this quirk about Briggs Intek V-Twin engines? Is the book wrong, or dipstick wrong? So far it's filled to the bottom of the "add oil" mark- might be a decent compromise, but still I wonder.

On the other hand, the previous mower with a 14 HP Briggs I/C single, held about 10 oz *less* oil than the stated capacity- at least according to its dipstick.

I'm probably worrying over nothing here- last oil change I filled to the full mark without any visible ill effects. Still- any help or ideas appreciated.
cheers3.gif

was the manual written by briggs or by sears? Might be an easy source of discrepancy if a lot of cutting and pasting was done in an area that was not sears' own product.

JMH

Very good point- now why didn't I think of that?
blush.gif
It's a Sears manual- unlike the last yard tractor, this one didn't come with a separate B&S manual for the engine. Of course, that one had a good-sized discrepancy too(~10 oz *less* than the stated 1.5 qt capacity- and no filter on that engine).

Oh well- I checked oil again before firing up for mowing/leaf shredding this afternoon(with new Gator blades! Woo Hoo!), & after sitting overnight the oil level was about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up from the "add" mark. I went ahead & ran it like that. I may send an email to Briggs- but suspect it's just a glitch I'll live with. Thanks!

I have a 22 horse Briggs V twin Intek on a JD lawn tractor, and I go by the dip stick - regardless of whether I'm using the stock Briggs filter or an oversize filter (ST3614).

I have a Briggs 18.5 hp 33xxxx series engine. The book and sticker on the hood says 48oz of oil and to tighten dip stick when checking oil. I changed oil and filter. When refilling, dipstick showed full at about 40 oz after I cranked it and let oil settle. I took off the engine shroud and oil tube, the oil level looked low in the sump. I add oil to 46oz, the oil level looked good in the sump, closer to the bottom of the oil hole but it checked too full on the stick. I checked it again but didn’t tighten the dip stick, just let it sit on top of filler tube- it checked good near top Mark. So either book capacity is wrong, wrong dip stick or wrong dip stick check procedure. I think it’s wrong procedure I don’t think you should tighten it.

My compression release broke less than 2 years. I read online others have too- maybe we’ve been running too little oil.

I know this thread is old but anyone having this problem lately?

Back