Briggs and Stratton Lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
So it is OK to use a 20w50 in a slow revving aircooled Harley...and at the same time it is mindblowing to repeat that in a lawnmover with a similar design?
smile.gif

Harley Dry sump
Lawn mower Wet sump
Harley Oil pump, actually 2, one scavenge and one pressure.
Lawnmower, splash some are pressure feed
Harley Needle and roller bearings
Lawnmower plain bearings
Harley piston squirt oil for lube and cooling
Lawnmower, splash
Harley separate oil cooler passive air flow
Mower, forces air cooling, no separate oil cooler.

I can go on but I think it is a little mind blowing to claim they have much similarity

Rod

10~4 on that (sorry) …
I’m thinking M1 10w40 HM would be awesome … but I have some extra Delvac dino on deck first

We got in the low 20’s just one time last winter … but tell my poor palm trees (those left) that’s nothing …

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
So it is OK to use a 20w50 in a slow revving aircooled Harley...and at the same time it is mindblowing to repeat that in a lawnmover with a similar design?
smile.gif

Harley Dry sump
Lawn mower Wet sump
Harley Oil pump, actually 2, one scavenge and one pressure.
Lawnmower, splash some are pressure feed
Harley Needle and roller bearings
Lawnmower plain bearings
Harley piston squirt oil for lube and cooling
Lawnmower, splash
Harley separate oil cooler passive air flow
Mower, forces air cooling, no separate oil cooler.

I can go on but I think it is a little mind blowing to claim they have much similarity

Rod

You forgot the following:

Lawnmower - very reliable with little to no maintenance and running on any swill resembling oil....

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Here is the Briggs oil recommendation chart...

Oil_rec_chart.jpg

* Below 40°F (4°C) the use of SAE 30 will result in hard starting.
** Above 80°F (27°C) the use of 10W30 may cause increased oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently.

While I cannot speak for the rest of you, what that chart says to me between the lines is that I should run synthetic 5w40 in all of my OPE. Commercial operators don't have a choice, but I myself won't be mowing at 90 degrees F, let alone 120. At the opposite end of the temperature spectrum, my snow blower starts in the garage at or above freezing, and our local extreme low of zero or a few degrees below isn't going to matter once that machine is warmed up. The charts suggest to me that I can easily run synthetic 5w40 from 0-100 degrees F. Anyone seeing that differently?

Presently my OPE fleet is running 5w30, 5w40, and 15w40 oils. Running 5w40 in all of them seems the obvious compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back