Break-in Oil Change Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long ago I was told to change the oil and filter in a brand new car at about 1,500 miles so that the metal debris from the engine break-in would be removed.

Does anyone know if this is really necessary? I have noticed that the manuals for the past two new cars I purchased said nothing about this practice. Also, wouldn't the oil filter catch any metal debris?

Let's put this way you'll only help the engine by changing it sooner. Though it seems that manufactures in order to "save" their customers money usually go with an initial oil change interval that is the same as their regular suggested OCI. For the money involved I'd feel better getting the manufacturing/break-in crud out as soon as possible. It goes back to the expression that it's "cheap insurance" to change the oil earlier in a new motor. I don't really believe you're benefiting the engine by leaving the factory oil in for so long. As far as vehicle manufactures are concerned as long as you get through the warranty period then they aren't too concerned as to what happens afterwards. After the warranty "it's your nickel" as they say
grin.gif

What vehicle are you talking about? My brother in law just bought a 1999 Porsche Boxster and the first oil change recommendation is at 15,000 miles
shocked.gif
! It's a 2.5 L six with about a 9 quart sump.

Whimsey

The new vehicle is a Toyota Yaris. The required OCI is every 15,000 kilometers.

I went ahead and changed the oil at 2,500K.

Don't know what the Toyota Yaris is equivalent to in the US. But you did good by changing the oil at 2,500K. You did change the filter at the same time I assume. Are you required to use a specific grade oil? 15,000 km is about 9,300 miles. Unless it's a real good synthetic I'd be leery unless I'm leasing the vehicle and don't care about the long term. Can you do UOA's to determine the degree of wear on the oil?

About 10 years ago I was lucky enough to visit Bremen and surrounding areas. I enjoyed the visit tremendously. Though I spoke little German
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

You did well.First oil change on my Suzuki gsx-r1000 was at 41km (about 25 miles). The oil from the 3.3L sump came out looking like silver paint with a good dose of linseed oil as well as some non magnetic particles about the size of grains of salt.This engine has an aluminum block with forged aluminum pistons running in nikasil liners.The initial run was a mild version of the "mototune method" ie quite hard just after warm-up.I didn't rev her past 10k rpm (redline is 12,250 rpm)during this initial outing.My only regret is not changing the oil sooner.

Most manufactures use extra antiwear additives and coatings in a new engine and do not want the oil to be changes too early. My Subaru recomends that the first oil/filter change be prformed at 3,000 miles and NOT/NEVER before 1,000 miles. It can be dentramental to a long engine life to drain the manufactures oil too early. Ed Hayes

Several manufacturers use special break in oil that they recommend leaving in a vehicle for an extended drain.

Im guessing that these "break in" oils contain Moly though other additives may be present.

Two good questions for the experts here would be when its a good idea to do that first oil change and whether or not there are any oils available on the market that replicate the special break in oils that come as factory fill.

It would seem that some cars use Mobil 1 as factory fill and the question must be raised as to whether Mobil 1 could and should be considered a break in oil. Of course even then the formulation seems to have changed.

Comments???

Happy Motoring All,

cool.gif

Bugshu

Special "break-in oil"...? Loads of Moly...?

The manual only says that the first oil change should be at 15,000 kilometers. The OCI is every 15,000k.

Hope I didn't just screw the engine by changing the oil so soon.

Jeffrey,

I do not believe that you will hurt the engine by changing the oil so soon. I would have opted for the 5,000 km/3,000 miles myself.

How long do you plan to run the next interval? 10,000 km? 12,000 km?

What size engine does the Toyota Yaris have? 1500 cc or 2000 cc?

The Yaris is a 1.4 liter engine. I haven't decided what oil change interval I will use. Probably 10,000k. I am so used to the old 3000 mile standard that I can't get my head around an interval that is over three times that long.

I looked at a new oil analysis for Mobil 0w-40, and it has some Moly in it. Don't know how much Moly is enough? I noticed that Devlac 1 (diesel oil) has no Moly, but is highly rated by many.

Jeffrey,

I believe the 10,000 km interval is a good starting point. The Mobil 1 0w-40 would work fine. It is used in the United States for European cars requiring the ACEA A3 standard. It also meets the VW and BMW extended drain specs.

I've always done my first oil change at half the rcommended interval, next at the regular recommended interval, and the normal OCI after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back