Break-in oil change debate

In GOD I believe, all others bring DATA. Guessing just doesn't do it.
There is no data**

I think some are reasoning which is a step aside from guessing. Guessing comes after reasoning :)

** except in motorsports - and they ain't sharing

and having said that, they put the vehicle in the hands of people at the factory, transport company and dealership porters who all drive it like they stole it.
Call it a "factory break-in". 😄

Something to keep in mind people. Corporate lawyers have a vested interest in new owners gradually becoming familiar with the vehicle rather than an alleged "break in".

First off there is nothing Christian about Christian Bros Automotive - they are just as bad as Firestone. That loss leader $14.99 oil change is just for them to "find" other issues for a customer to pay for. They are a rip off shop. Your car being new you won't have that issue but you will no doubt not be getting the best oil and filter for your NEW car so why even do that? As for the break on oil change time - I usually do my first oil change on a new car around 2000 miles. There is nothing special about the factory fill oil (NOTE: I know for a fact this is true for GM not absolutely sure of the others). I like to dump early to get block casting debris etc out and to move on to my synthetic oil and filter of choice and enjoy looking the car over underneath for any issues that may be wrong.

Personal preference, of course. The likelihood of an oil related engine failure is probably statistically the same if you run the factory fill till 1 year or XXXX miles or drain and fill before you leave the dealership parking lot.

As others have mentioned, Honda was adamant back in the day of leaving the factory fill in for the full OCI. The first new car I bought was a 2001 Prelude and the service advisor was adamant I not change it at 1000 miles as was all of the rage on the Prelude forum. Of course this was back when fully conventional oils were recommended because synthetics were deemed “too slick”.

On the other hand the 2016 BMW 328i I bought new was spec’ed to have a break in oil change done 2 days and 200 miles after I bought it as it sat on the lot for almost a year being a highly optioned manual transmission car.

I changed our new Mazda CX90s factory fill once it hit about 850 miles to HPL and will do the same to my new Mazda 3 when it hits that same approx mileage mark. I fully concede I’m not doing it because of hard data or concrete evidence, mainly because I just want to.

I always do a "break in" oil change on a new car. There is no telling how long the car sat on a lot, etc. So I always have done it and I always will do it.

Oh and I can care less if I'm "flushing" money down a toilet.

I just follow the 1500-2000 miles suggestion. I don't use cruise control for first 500 miles and try to keep between 2-4k. Can't do on used cars 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024_223914_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231024_223914_Samsung Internet.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 16
There really doesn't need to be a debate. Probably 98% of passenger vehicles either say NOT to change it early or say nothing about early changes. They simply say "change it when the reminder says to". Contrary to popular/wrong belief, automakers don't program their engines to die from oil-related failures a month after the warranty expires. They actually want them to last and if they say changing the oil at 10k miles won't hurt, they'll have data to back this up.

If you want to change your oil at 450 miles, go for it. If you want to change full-synthetic engine oil every 3000 miles, go for it.

I work for a major auto manufactuer, and worked as the lead engine manufacturing engineer for a few years on an engine family currently in production. A couple things:

1. Engine sediment from manufacturing is signficant. I personally have qualified numerous washing machines (blocks, heads, and cranks), and can tell you there is NEVER zero sediment left in the engine from the machining process.

2. Engine sediment from the break in process can be significant.

3. Mating surfaces take time to break in, generate sediment.

4. Factory fill oil is not always the same high quality as recomended in the manual. In the family I worked with, the break in oil was nothing special. (Depends on the engine).

5. Factory fill oil, and oil recomended in the manual is optimized for fuel economy, warranty, cost, and commonization across an engine family or vehicle platform.

That being said, I change my new engine oil at ~500-1000 miles if I plan to keep the car for a long period.

Last edited:
Whats the harm if you change it sooner? There is no proof it will make things worse, sure it could be a waste of money, but who cares

If they charge $15 for the oil and labor, I would buy my own oil/filter and give that to the monkeys to put in the car. The labor is easily worth that minimal amount.
The local valvoline shops charge $45 in labor if I supply oil and filter. Still worth it to me. (I am able to watch them ;-) )

If they charge $15 for the oil and labor, I would buy my own oil/filter and give that to the monkeys to put in the car. The labor is easily worth that minimal amount.
The local valvoline shops charge $45 in labor if I supply oil and filter. Still worth it to me. (I am able to watch them ;-) )
much better if you do it yourself

Back