Bratwurst

I grilled some Johnsonville Brats today for lunch, they were pretty good. I put mine in hot dog buns with spicy mustard.

Growing up in Wisconsin, I ended up liking deli bratwursts the best, then Sheboygan Bratwursts. Usinger’s and Klement’s were decent. Johnsonville was okay and readily available. Hillshire farm rounded out the bottom. They shrunk to nothing out on the grill.

My understanding is that farm raised bison almost always have cattle genes. About the only American bison herds that don't have any traceable cattle genes are in several national parks.
My understanding is that almost all wild bison carry domesticated cattle genes because of interbreeding over the last 150 years. Deliberate interbreeding of cattle with bison was undertaken already in the second half of the 19th century. Hybrids are beefalo that look like domesticated cattle and cattalo that look like bison. 100% purebred bison are exceedingly rare with not very many left.

My understanding is that almost all wild bison carry domesticated cattle genes because of interbreeding over the last 150 years. Deliberate interbreeding of cattle with bison was undertaken already in the second half of the 19th century. Hybrids are beefalo that look like domesticated cattle and cattalo that look like bison. 100% purebred bison are exceedingly rare with not very many left.

Maybe just in Yellowstone National Park and Wind Cave National Park in South Dakota.

Which brings us back to Yellowstone and the somewhat recent realization that the burly bison blocking traffic on the road between Mammoth Hot Springs and Tower Junction are more biologically important than the average tourist realizes: besides those bison there is only one other herd (at a national park in South Dakota) which researchers are reasonably confident is free of cattle ancestry.​

Up in Wisc, the Brats are everywhere. Small butcher shops seem to have the best, but for larger producers Usingers is really good. Maders' uses them I think. Maders has been a German restaurant in Downtown Milwaukee for over 120 years. I ride up occasionally on Sundays for a bite to eat.

Back