Brand New Flywheel - Toast Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well on July 31st I had the Beetle in at the dealer for the flywheel to be replaced. It's the 6 speed automatic DSG transmission and had been chattering and making noise for a while and decided to have it replaced to prevent any damage. It only chattered when in park, when shifted to drive the sound would stop (typical for these). Well after over $1750 for that plus the service on the transmission, filter & fluid, everything was great (except for an alignment issue of pulling to the side) but the noise was gone and all was well except until tonight. I started it up and it started weird (engine fine, but kind of a weird noise, hard to explain). I then heard the flywheel chatter again and got out to listen to it. Yup, same sound. I then put it in drive and the noise went away. Needless to say I'm not too happy. It's been 2 months and 2,600 miles. The receipt says their service warranties are for 12 months/12,000 miles.

Yes I know VWs aren't typically in the top for being the most reliable and cheapest car to own but this car has never once broken down. It has also never had a repair done to it that wasn't a wear and tear item. It's been fantastic.

I'm calling the dealer in the morning and I already left a message for them. I hope they will do me well, the service advisor has been great and very honest for the past 7 years and 120k+ miles that he personally has handled the work done on this car. Not really sure what else to say, any input guys?

Also this is not my video, I just found it on YouTube but it's the same noise. Chatters for a couple seconds, then stops for a second, then chatter again. Intermittent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds similar to a problem that occurs on some Jeeps. The flexplates are known to crack. It is usually caused by the torque converter bolts loosening and causing the plate to wobble, which then cracks around the bolts. It sounds almost identical to that noise in the video.

I don't know much about TDIs, but it sounds like the mechanic didn't torque the flywheel bolts correctly if it is broken already. The fact that the bolts can loosen on a Jeep flexplate and cause it to crack, makes me think something similar happened to your flywheel, in the form of the bolts not being properly torqued by the mechanic.

1800? how much is your beetle worth? WoW.

I'm sure I can find a corolla for cheaper and have it running after a rebuild(takes me 1 day) and have it running flawlessly for less.

People are really rich now a days or are really great with their money.

Those dual mass flywheels are really annoying. As I am sure you know, they do fail. Some of the older ones actually come apart and cause collateral damage.

I suspect your replacement flywheel was old stock. And the damping material had deteriorated by age (which is one mode of failure) , but that's just a guess.

I hate to say it, but get another flywheel, one that was produced recently.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Was replacement DM flywheel rebuilt or new one? At what mileage are you now?

In the OP's signature, the mileage for the '04 Beetle TDI is at 160K.
smile.gif

Sorry Nick to hear your issues. I hope you can get'er fixed!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. It is one reason why I won't touch dsg. At least on my manual I could have the DMF replaced with an SMF. I also have studiously avoided stealer ships with this car, and knock on wood not had issues like this.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Was replacement DM flywheel rebuilt or new one? At what mileage are you now?

In the OP's signature, the mileage for the '04 Beetle TDI is at 160K.
smile.gif

Sorry Nick to hear your issues. I hope you can get'er fixed!

Ahh, didn't see mileage in first post. 160 k miles is about 257k km and seems fair for first DMF change. You should have warranty for job done on your car so only inconvenience is that you will be without car for a day or two.

Being w/o a car for a couple days is rather inconvient. I wonder if you can argue for a loaner during that time--it's their screw up, they're a dealer. I don't know what you drive but I generally do nearly 100 miles a day and thus consider down time unacceptable.

There you go, blame the dealer. They only installed a part supplied by the manufacturer so it has to be there fault.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
There you go, blame the dealer. They only installed a part supplied by the manufacturer so it has to be there fault.

I assume he bought the part from the dealer, and had the work done at the dealer. Whom is he supposed to blame for this?

Are we really to the point where dealers "are just selling the stuff we're supplied, we take no responsibility for it whatsoever?" Sounds like a fireworks stand on the side of a highway, not a place I'd cut a four figure check to.

VW dealers have long been bottom of the pile for reasons they have worked hard to earn! I'm not sure the DSG is a niche product but the TDI's were, and the dealers were notorious for doing everything wrong on them. Mark and pray, reusing TTY bolts, leaving bolts off, improper torque, bad diagnosis.

It could be an honest mistake. It could be a defective part. [IMO a VW DMF is a defective part given how frequently they fail.] Won't know until he goes back.

I'm bringing it in today. Took them 8 hours to do everything the first time. This is the very reason I paid a little bit more to have the dealer do it and not a local shop. And that's because there is a warranty. I wish it were a 5 speed. My commute is about 50 miles a day, but I'm now using my grandpas 96' Jeep Cherokee. I'll ask for a loaner car

I'm sure they will repair it for him, but they are not to blame as you say. Parts go bad, get boxed wrong, catalog applications can be wrong etc.
If anybody is to blame it would be the vendor that made the part.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
I'm sure they will repair it for him, but they are not to blame as you say. Parts go bad, get boxed wrong, catalog applications can be wrong etc.
If anybody is to blame it would be the vendor that made the part.
They could be to blame. Maybe they didn't tighten it enough

I called the service manager up, told him what's going on and he said "Hmm. Must be the motor mounts or something. Bring it in and we'll look at it."

Originally Posted By: bepperb

I assume he bought the part from the dealer, and had the work done at the dealer. Whom is he supposed to blame for this?

The manufacturer and engineers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back