Brand New Corolla - What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go to Walmart and pick up a case of TropArtic 5W30. It runs $1.68 a quart and is semi-synthetic! Change it every 6 months or 5000 miles wich ever comes first!

Buy a 5qt jug of Pennzoil for $11. Done deal. Probably the best dino out there.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Buy a 5qt jug of Pennzoil for $11. Done deal. Probably the best dino out there. :!
Yeah, I hear that the Pennzoil these days is good stuff. It's just that I worked as a mechanic some years ago and .... well tore down more than a few engines that ran Pennzoil. Not pretty. I'm sure it's not like that anymore these days, but I have those images still stuck in the back of my mind.Shell bought out the Pennzoil and Quaker State brand names in the late 90's, right? Should be some good stuff.Still, $11 Castrol, $11 Pennzoil, or $10 Valvoline...... if there's not any difference then I'll try that $10 Valvoline.Cheap ba$tard that I am.But hey - I use those PureOne filters.
grin2.gif

I'd go for a dino like Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil Clean, Castrol GTX....heck, they're all good and I've used them all. Go for whatever is the cheapest. Valvoline is a fine oil if that is the cheapest in your area. I use Valvoline on my sister's car.

Remember, just regular changes (I like the 5k OCI) and you'll be fine.
cool.gif

Last edited:
I bought my Corolla Wagon August 2006, used Havoline 10W-30 dino to change at 1k, 2.5k miles then Castrol synthetic Edge 5W-30 at 5k miles and change now at 3k oil & filter , now have 18k miles. Changed manual gearbox oil to Redline MT90 GL4 at 5k miles then at 10k miles and will change every 2 years, 25k miles. Also replaced the p/s fluid to Castrol Transmax Z synthetic dex 111. Car runs a dream, I know it is over maintained but it is my hobby and hopefully I will be giving you all a progress report on it in 20 years time!
Roger

wouldnt mind seeing the progress report in 20 years.

I changed out my FF in my corolla at 300 miles, changed again at 500 miles, again at 1600 miles and now doing my 5K/6month intervals. Using pennzoil yellow bottle for all changes except for my most recent change at 6000 something when I put in val synpower (bogo). I use pure one 14477.

Changed out the tranny fluid at 2200 miles to coastal 75w90 and when I get around 15-20K gonna dump that and put in the amsoil 75w90 i got. Gonna siphon/refill the ps resevoir once maybe twice a year. Drain/refill the radiator every year or two max. Bleed brakes every 2 years.

Hopefully I should be able to give you a progree report in 20 as well.

The car we got rid of was a 2000 Chevy Tracker 4-door(AKA Suzuki Sidekick). In the eight years we owned it, here is the sum total of maintanance:Oil changes - M1 Synthetic Truck & SUV @ 6 months or 5k miles w/PureOne filterTransmission and radiator flush @ 4 years.Battery @ 6 years.Front rotors & pads @ 7 years.That's it. Nothing more. It left home with the original tires and 72,xxx miles.Previous to THAT was a Plymouth Horizon 2.5L I-4. Eight years, as well. Front rotors/pads, a battery, one set of tires. Never flushed the radiator or the transmission. No other maintenance except the oil changes with Havoline 5w30 @ 3k intervals. This one had about 100k miles on it and burned a quart every 3000 miles, as it did from the day it was brand-new.How much better return on investment can you get than that?So now we have this brand new Corolla and I'm thinking...... well maybe thinking too much. Yeah - and I'm leaning toward 5k OCIs or 6 months (whichever comes first) with a decent dino (Castrol, Pennzoil, Motorcraft, Valvoline) and a $6 oil filter.My son is trying to talk me into WalMart SuperTech dino oil and a ST filter. He says it would be a good experiment. I'm beginning to think that he's onto something there......

supertech oil and filters are good products for 3-5K intervals. I have a gallon of the supertech 5w30 i plan on running just to try it out eventually. I see nothing wrong with them

Originally Posted By: kballowe
The car we got rid of was a 2000 Chevy Tracker 4-door(AKA Suzuki Sidekick). In the eight years we owned it, here is the sum total of maintanance:Oil changes - M1 Synthetic Truck & SUV @ 6 months or 5k miles w/PureOne filterTransmission and radiator flush @ 4 years.Battery @ 6 years.Front rotors & pads @ 7 years.That's it. Nothing more. It left home with the original tires and 72,xxx miles.Previous to THAT was a Plymouth Horizon 2.5L I-4. Eight years, as well. Front rotors/pads, a battery, one set of tires. Never flushed the radiator or the transmission. No other maintenance except the oil changes with Havoline 5w30 @ 3k intervals. This one had about 100k miles on it and burned a quart every 3000 miles, as it did from the day it was brand-new.How much better return on investment can you get than that?So now we have this brand new Corolla and I'm thinking...... well maybe thinking too much. Yeah - and I'm leaning toward 5k OCIs or 6 months (whichever comes first) with a decent dino (Castrol, Pennzoil, Motorcraft, Valvoline) and a $6 oil filter.My son is trying to talk me into WalMart SuperTech dino oil and a ST filter. He says it would be a good experiment. I'm beginning to think that he's onto something there......
No need for the syn oil with that engine at 5,000 mile oil changes . Drained out good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back