BRAND LOYALTY OVER REASON?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royale Purple, and several other brands... All have a large line of oils, and each has their own oil filter. I wonder how many of us use any of these products because we can stay "brand loyal" and also get an oil filter with the oil's name on it? Not necessarily a bad thing, but with the "fanatics" on BITOG, is it a "smart" thing? I have to admit, if Red Line had their own filters I would be tempted to give up my PureONE for it, even though I would probably lose some efficiency.
21.gif
54.gif
27.gif

I'm brand loyal to M1 oils because I have found that they are a great oil and have never let me down since 1978. Now I have never said M1 is the best oil made, but it sure is amoung em.

I run whatever I think is the absolute best for my engine and the easiest available. For me this is Amsoil. They ship right to my door, I can order in my underwear if I want to (not that I do), and I get what I want, a reasonable price for the performance.

Filters choices up here are harder to get than in the US so I have stuck with the Amsoil EAO filter because it's a heck of a filter and built for abuse. I run it long enough that I get my monies worth.

I'm about to try some Redline which I now just found out I can order close by in the weight I want. If they turn out to be better I will stick with them.

I also ordered some Royal Purple filters through another board member who has connections to the US and can easily get them so I will be trying these too. Again if they are better I will stick with them.

The only "loyalty" I have is to my pocketbook and my vehicle because I want to squeeze as many miles out of it as possible.

Last edited:
Im guilty as charged. I only used an OEM filter this time because I had it laying around. I used a P1 when I ran Syntec, but now I think Im going to be using M1/M1.

No brand loyalty here... I've changed brands of oil and oil filters almost every single oil change since I've had my car. The only one I've used more than twice was Havoline (thrice) My reason: sale prices!
grin2.gif

See I have never experienced any high iron thing with M1 because I don't do the switching formula thing between brands. I'm not saying that switching brands will cause shorter engine life, but I notice the high iron guys most often are oil switchers. Not that oil switchers are bad mind ya.

Yo! Guys! My point was using BOTH the oil and the filter with the same name on each - only because they carry the same name.
28.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Yo! Guys! My point was using BOTH the oil and the filter with the same name on each - only because they carry the same name.
28.gif

Oh ok lol well i use AC UPF,FG,WIX. M1 has a great filter but little pricy fo me @over $10 when i can UPF or FG for less and have a full synthetic media.

Shamus; the above are excellent comments. It's really your choice on the product you finally decide to put in your crankcase. Once you decide, put oil analyis on your agenda. Your driving style, weather, and traffic will all affect the life of your oil. Good luck.

I understand that. My issue is a "I wonder" thing. For example: someone who is in love with the cool looking Royale Purple oil filter on their engine, and then choses RP oil just because the names match, and not on an oil that would be better suited to that individual's engine, driving habits, environment, etc. To be sure, there are more important issues to be discussed; but not for an uninformed person who is "brand loyal."

Last edited:
I use what works, not necessarily looking to stay with the same brand. GC works well. OEM filter works well, in my case. So that's what I use.

Even when it comes to other products, such as consumer electronics, I don't pay attention to stick with the same brand. I go for the features that I desire at a price point that interests me. Whatever fits this bill is what I get.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I use what works, not necessarily looking to stay with the same brand. GC works well. OEM filter works well, in my case. So that's what I use.

Even when it comes to other products, such as consumer electronics, I don't pay attention to stick with the same brand. I go for the features that I desire at a price point that interests me. Whatever fits this bill is what I get.

I'm the opposite, I have a few brands I stick with, and others I abhor. Comes with dealing with consumer-grade network devices though.

Do I believe in Brand loyalty? Yes. Have I fallen prey to it? Not so much. I haven't truly had that much experience yet, still on the first BITOG consulted oil change on my car. But thus far, I am a Valvoline fan. The Maxlife Engine oil has worked excellently, and the next OCI I will be using maxlife but in the 5W-30 grade. So far I like purolator filters. If Valvoline made [censored], I wouldn't use it simply because it was valvoline. I would pick an oil that was good. However, that's not the case, so I'm not too worried about it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I'm the opposite, I have a few brands I stick with, and others I abhor. Comes with dealing with consumer-grade network devices though.

Sure, there are brands that I won't come near, too. I'm just saying, I don't go out of my way to have all my HT gear made by Yamaha, or all my network equipment made by Linksys, for example.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Sure, there are brands that I won't come near, too. I'm just saying, I don't go out of my way to have all my HT gear made by Yamaha, or all my network equipment made by Linksys, for example.

K, I think we might be on the same page then
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back