Brakes.... I killed them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hey Guys,

I was flushing my brakes using Motive Bleeder...
While I was doing leak test ( you pump up bleeder up to 10 and look for leaks ... I had leaks on cap so I did test couple times until I got it tight ...

After 3rd time I noticed that fluid from reservoir was gone ... I think It may liked true leaking cap .. or somewhere else ?

I bleeded brakes .. And under the car I noticed that there is spill of Brake fluid ....

not sure where it come from ?

I took car for the test drive .. Brakes are working ...

but when I'm parked and I will try too pump brakes I cant - but I'm able to push it to the floor ...

So i guess that there is something wrong ?

Sounds like you've got air in the system. What is your fluid level at now? You'll probably just have to bleed the system again, make sure your fluid level stays full!

I'm just worried - when I was pressurizing system. maybe something broke a seal or something but on other hand 10psi its really not that much ...

My level now is full ..

I did try again with motive bleeder .. I can't see any air coming out .. Maybe I should do the good old method ?

PS car has ABS

Last edited:
Is it possible that the level got too low while you were bleeding?

If so, you may have air the ABS unit (or somewhere in the system).

After you test drove the car, did you see anymore puddles under the car? I doubt you blew anything with only 10 psi.

Post your make/model, maybe someone will know the correct procedure for bleeding your ABS unit.

Mazda 3 2004 ABS ...
No Puddles - No change in level or no noticeable one

ABS seems to be working - I was able to trigger it

btw Car is braking but on stop pedal goes to floor .. and a lot travel on pedal to brake

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't know anything about that car. Hopefully a Mazda expert can point you in the right direction regarding your ABS system. If you can push the pedal to the floor, you've definitely got air in there.

If you have a helper, there's no harm in trying the two-person method, as you have already suggested.

I'm actually planning to get one of those Motive bleeders, did you get the universal kit with the "J" hooks and chain? It seems like a poor setup, I assume that's why you made your own cap?

Also, just a thought, I think you'll have better luck in the Mechanical Maintenance forum in getting a helpful response.

Yeah I got the Universal one ... It will not work with Mazda no way ...

PS. Im From Hamilton - if you are around or GTA...
You can barrow it no need to buy ...

I use 17-20 psi without any problems on my GM. Then again, I have the GM specific screw-on cap.

It sounds like you ran the master cylinder dry. I would just refill the fluid reservoir and bleed it the old-fashioned way and see if that solves your problem. Since you didn't drain the system completely, you might be ok as far as the ABS goes.

Start from scratch again.
You most certainly admitted air into the system when the reservoir went dry, and it is worse than before.
Reservoirs drain pretty rapidly, and this is not uncommon.

Try filling the reservoir and opening the bleeder farthest from the master cyl,you can put a piece of hose on it into a can to keep from making a mess,let it drip,do not pump or move the pedal.
When you get about 8oz out close the bleeder and move to the next one and repeat.Keep refilling the reservoir as the level goes down.

The pedal should come back,when complete have someone press the pedal and crack each bleeder,when the pedal is on the floor tighten the bleeder before having them release the pedal and moving on to the next bleeder.

We often drip bleed ABS brakes without pressure,it works well.

OP:

I'm not sure that any normal, non-failure oriented bleeding mishap allowing air into the system should also leave an unexpected puddle under the car. If none of the bleeders were open when this puddle appeared, I'd be very concerned about a serious problem somewhere...

A lot of people are offering helpful advice on the soft pedal and seem to be ignoring the puddle.

The OP updated that situation later in the thread.Of course you are correct,if a puddle did reappear then it needs to be looked at more carefully.

"My level now is full ..

I did try again with motive bleeder .. I can't see any air coming out"

"Mazda 3 2004 ABS ...
No Puddles - No change in level or no noticeable one

ABS seems to be working - I was able to trigger it"

Yeah .. I don't think that system is leaking ... I been driving for past couple days - my brake fluid didn't drop .. So I think that is fine ?

I'm still not sure where it was leaking in 1st place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back