Brake parts cleaner on plastic???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my pads and rotors a week ago and had alot of brake fluid on the reservoir. Without thinking I sprayed it off with brake parts cleaner. Now im noticing white lines all over the plastic reservoir. They seem to be sunk in but they are all uniform almost like they follow along where the top and bottom of the reservoir were joined together. Should I be concerned or is this cosmetic?

Last edited:
I'd be real serious about checking this out. If the reservoir comes apart or leaks while driving it's going to be a real problem as in maybe no brakes or very limited braking. Sounds like a trip to the junk yard or parts department might be in order to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't trust it. Solvents and plastics can be bad news if you get the wrong mix. Sounds like the solvent crazed the plastic. That's a weakening of the plastic.

We need pics. You can't be the first guy to have ever done this. Since brake cleaner disappers/evaporates in 30 sec I doubt it got "all the way deep" in your reservoir.

As was noted above, the plastic crazed where it was under mechanical stress and the cleaner got on it. I've been through this on several occasions, though not with a brake fluid reservoir.

That would make since since its in the spots where there is support inside the reservoir. It looks like it has a "skeleton" inside that its built around. I figured it was just a bottle.

Last edited:
Think I know what you are talking about. I've seen that type of crazing before, oddly mostly on other older European cars. It looks like normal crazing or fine stress cracks, but they follow the contours or features of the reservoir. I always assumed they were attributable to age.

I would guess that the cracks were there and filled in w/ years of oil deposits or brake fluid and the cleaner removed that making the cracks more visible. I don't think the cleaner would do that damage instantly...that said, brake cleaner, especially the chlorinated stuff, is nasty (but really good at its purpose) and as you know can really damage plastics and many rubbers.

If you have any doubt about the integrity of the reservoir, I would replace it though.

A little late now, but for any kind of plastic or where electrical wires are involved, I always use MAF sensor cleaner, or electrical contact cleaner. That seems a lot less aggressive on plastics.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Think I know what you are talking about. I've seen that type of crazing before, oddly mostly on other older European cars. It looks like normal crazing or fine stress cracks, but they follow the contours or features of the reservoir. I always assumed they were attributable to age.

I would guess that the cracks were there and filled in w/ years of oil deposits or brake fluid and the cleaner removed that making the cracks more visible. I don't think the cleaner would do that damage instantly...that said, brake cleaner, especially the chlorinated stuff, is nasty (but really good at its purpose) and as you know can really damage plastics and many rubbers.

If you have any doubt about the integrity of the reservoir, I would replace it though.

YES!!! thats what im seeing

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Isn't this why CRC makes the green can ? I thought the green can was ok for plastic?

The green ones mean the fumes under certain conditions won't send you to the hospital. As for your brake reservoir, depending on how long you plan on keeping your car, start looking at replacements. Sounds like you'll probably need to replace it eventually.

I saw a guy use brake cleaner to remove decal adhesive on a peace of plastic. To my surprise it did not damage at all to the plastic. I have been using it ever since to clean of glue from decals. Never seen any damage to the plastic at all.

The obvious (to me) answer is to research what kind of plastic is used, spray it with brake cleaner, and destructively test it to see if it fails sooner than an untreated piece.

I have no idea whether or not you've damaged the plastic, but this is the reason why I always syringe out about half the fluid from the reservoir before pushing any caliper pistons back - it avoids messy spills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back