Brake Pads - with good initial bite

I prefer the Centric 300. series. That's what I settled on for the Acura after having run through a handful of different pads. They are the closet I've found yet to the old school Axxis Ultimates when it comes to initial feel and linearity through the stop. They're not quite as good if you get them smoking hot, but they recover well.

I've never shopped by number before on pads. I don't care what the FF GG etc etc is. I try them and if they work how I want them to, that's the pad I use.

Reactions: Ndx
7 series
Don’t care about dust, the rim design it’s not very open so dust is not an issue.

On other hand I don’t want squeals as some stock pads do make noise
Stay away then from Ferodo, PFC etc. Those are dual street/track or track or race pads. They will make noise cold.
Best bet is ATE, Jurid, Pagid and Textar. But let me check did BMW diversify pad material for 7 series.
What year?

I prefer the Centric 300. series. That's what I settled on for the Acura after having run through a handful of different pads. They are the closet I've found yet to the old school Axxis Ultimates when it comes to initial feel and linearity through the stop. They're not quite as good if you get them smoking hot, but they recover well.

I've never shopped by number before on pads. I don't care what the FF GG etc etc is. I try them and if they work how I want them to, that's the pad I use.

I forgot about the Axxis Ultimate! I used Axxis Deluxe pads (basic OE replacement) a long time ago, back when Beck/Arnley sold them. I haven't seen Axxis/PBR pads for sale in years!

Looking on the PBR/Axxis site, there doesn't seem to be any way to buy them.

I forgot about the Axxis Ultimate! I used Axxis Deluxe pads (basic OE replacement) a long time ago, back when Beck/Arnley sold them. I haven't seen Axxis/PBR pads for sale in years!

Looking on the PBR/Axxis site, there doesn't seem to be any way to buy them.
I emailed them a while ago and asked if there was a replacement compound for them, but I don't recall them ever responding. Since I've found something I'm happy with it kind of slid off the radar for me.

The Ultimates were a really good pad for me, they put up with just about anything right up to track events when I would have to swap over to Hawk DTC30's/60's. On the street and for autocrossing I liked them a lot.

Padgid & Jurid. OEM on MB and BMW have unequaled initial bite. The ceramics mentioned by others don't have that bite. They don't fade, but they just don't have that initial bite.
Textar has a branded ceramic with almost the bite of Jurid and Pagid. Have them on my MB. They don't have the touchiness of the Pagid/Jurid/regular Textar.

Hi Friends,

Need recommendations…

Pagid - OE
Jurid - OE
Akebono Euro
Bosch EuroLine
Bosch QuietCast Semi Metalic or Ceramic
Centric Pq Pro
Bosch Blue

Don’t care about dust … but need good cold grip and no squeaks.

Everyone seems to be raving about Akebonos but apparently they destroy rotors and don’t have good cold grip

Thank you
I've been running Akebono Pro-act for over 20 years, with no issues.

ebc red stuff. I tested several brands of brake pads a few years for a vintage Cobra customer. The ebc redstuff pads were the best performing in the 60 to 0 mph by 1.5 car lengths and also the best in the 100 to 0 mph test by 3.5 car lengths vs the 2nd place pads .

They were up against OEM pads, Hawk Supers, and Porterfield R4-s pads. The Porterfield pads were a consistent 2nd place.

Since then I’ve used them on numerous classic and modern cars, some lightweight, some heavy. Currently have a set on my ‘02 Jaguar XKR, a heavy (for a small coupe) 4,000+ lb car. I’ve got about 55,000 miles on the pads and they have about 40% of the friction material left.

In spirited street driving they have zero fade and very good performance hot or cold.

Z

PS I’ve found most people that don’t like ebc pads didn’t have the discipline to break them in according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.

I've gone from a set of Ultimates to Textar ePads.

There's no doubt the former are a step up in terms of performance, but for a daily driver, the ePads don't leave anything to be desired.

They're quiet, wear the rotors gently and evenly, and don't leave clingy dust.

I did want to move away from the dust, and rate at which the Ultimates ate rotors, to a different beast, and try something with a ceramic formulation.

The decidedly mixed reviews for Akebonos on the marque forums scared me away, while the "OE-like" nature of the ePads (without the dust) made them the pick.

I concur with the sentiment that shopping for pads based on their friction ratings is foolhardy, akin to shopping for tires based on their UTQG ratings. Those figures only measure certain characteristics under specific conditions, and don't address many other important characteristics, which severely limits the scope of their usefulness.

I've gone from a set of Ultimates to Textar ePads.

There's no doubt the former are a step up in terms of performance, but for a daily driver, the ePads don't leave anything to be desired.

They're quiet, wear the rotors gently and evenly, and don't leave clingy dust.

I did want to move away from the dust, and rate at which the Ultimates ate rotors, to a different beast, and try something with a ceramic formulation.

The decidedly mixed reviews for Akebonos on the marque forums scared me away, while the "OE-like" nature of the ePads (without the dust) made them the pick.

I concur with the sentiment that shopping for pads based on their friction ratings is foolhardy, akin to shopping for tires based on their UTQG ratings. Those figures only measure certain characteristics under specific conditions, and don't address many other important characteristics, which severely limits the scope of their usefulness.
I actually settled on epad but hard to come by here … and Ended up with TRW Ultra - I think they are similar if not same

Thank you all

Back to drawing board due to availability.

Looking now at ATE which are available GH rated for what it’s worth

I just put new Bendix semi metallic no copper pads on the back of my 07 Dodge 1500. Seem quiet and good bite. Rock Auto supplied them.

Jurid or Textar for BMW. I have Textar on mine, great initial bite. I wouldn't use Akebono. I used to put them on everything, but their quality has taken a nose dive recently, and they also seem to have very poor initial bite.

Also I have used Textar on other BMWs, no squeak. Squeaking usually comes from the pads being loose in the caliper.

Jurid or Textar for BMW. I have Textar on mine, great initial bite. I wouldn't use Akebono. I used to put them on everything, but their quality has taken a nose dive recently, and they also seem to have very poor initial bite.

Also I have used Textar on other BMWs, no squeak. Squeaking usually comes from the pads being loose in the caliper.
Good advice and I’ve had similar experiences on older BMWs anyway. Akebono are good if it’s just a commuter and you don’t like cleaning rims. They are a middle of the road compromise.

Back