Brake job for a neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now he will say you are trying to rip him off when you say he needs rotors. I have worked a more than a few cars and trucks like that and the owners are offended when we couldn't do a pad slap. Luckily we can call the CHP and they will come over and confiscate the license plates until the owners fix the car.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Some people really aren't in tune with their vehicles. They just get in and drive them.

Some people should not be allowed to OWN a vehicle. WTH...don't you folks have the state inspect your cars each year over there?

Last edited:
so what did the pad, or caliper piston look like?

Some folks shouldnt be allowed to operate motor vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Some people really aren't in tune with their vehicles. They just get in and drive them.

Some people should not be allowed to OWN a vehicle. WTH...don't you folks have the state inspect your cars each year over there?

Not in Illinois, no. Some other states do require it, mostly states with very strict emissions standards or lots of hills/mountains.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
so what did the pad, or caliper piston look like?

Caliper looked ok, the pad backing place took the abuse pretty well! The inside "pad" from that side was a trashed piece of metal that had heat glazing all over it. All other pads and the other rotor looked just fine. Come to find out the other rotor had been replaced 5K ago but this one was left alone. I replaced them with Wagner Premium rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. I have been exceptionally satisfied with that combination on 5 vehicles (or maybe more? I don't recall exactly) so far, including 2 of my own. All work great. This truck is back on the road.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Maybe he was 1000o miles away from home when it started grinding lol

Fixed.

At one of our service stations my family owned a woman came in with a BMW and she literately had no PADS and the Caliper piston was rubbing on what was left of the ROTOR and I remember the guy that used to do the brake jobs was licking his CHOPS b/c its was a $900.00 Job and this was back in 1990.

Also remember the Dodge OMNI came in

I saw a guy that his front brakes were basically GONE and basically he was only using the DRUM Brakes on the back to stop.

I didn't even know how the car stopped and I asked him how have you been stopping this car and he told me the EMERGENCY BRAKE.

However since it was a economy car it was cheap for the parts and the labor was not as long to fix it.

When I worked at O'Reilly, a customer brought in a rotor from a Sentra like that. He wanted me to turn it.
"I'm sorry. There is not enough there to machine."
"Just turn the rotor for me."
They were so thin that I was able to pinch the surface of the rotor and snap it off. "These are too damaged to resurface. Nothing can be done."
"YOU BROKE MY ROTOR!!! YOU HAVE TO BUY ME A NEW ONE NOW!!!"

I did not make a customer for life that day.
If he tried to re-use those rotors, perhaps his life wasn't that long anyway.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Not in Illinois, no. Some other states do require it, mostly states with very strict emissions standards or lots of hills/mountains.

We have state inspections here and Texas is hardly enamored of environmental regulations. It's a good idea although slightly inconvenient.

People are generally morons about vehicles. People wonder why I don't ever buy used cars. Most people get rid of a car because they have to put a LOT of $$$$$ into fixing so they just get rid of it.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
We have state inspections here... It's a good idea although slightly inconvenient.

It's a uselessly inconvenient and expensive idea.

My Rust Belt province has no safety inspection at all, and never has had one. Back in 1985 the province's official statistics showed that, on investigation, about 2.2% of vehicles involved in collisions were found to have some sort of mechanical defect. Not that the defect caused the collision, just that the defect was present. The last report I read (2010?) showed that number to be down to 1.2%. That's a 45% improvement in 25 years in the face of no inspection at all.

And nobody crashes because brakes get like that (I've seen worse). Nobody crashes because there's a crack in the windshield. Nobody crashes because a brake light bulb is blown. Folks crash because they don't pay attention, and no amount of inspection on the vehicle can solve that; it's a hazard of real life.

Originally Posted By: alex3686
Wow that poor Durango. How could he not hear that he must've been deaf.

Oh, he heard. He was probably hoping it would go away on its own, or that it wasn't important. Ive seen this a number of times, and the typical report is that it "just started making noise". Well for most people "just started" seems to mean "a month ago".

What surprises me is how modern brakes are so well-designed that they keep working even though a quarter of the rotor (or more) is missing. On every example of the five or six I've seen the brakes worked just fine other than the noise. It actually seems to be somewhat difficult to render modern brakes inoperative.

I had my fronts go down to the steel just a couple of weeks ago. The noise literally started a mile from home, and I was as light as I could be on the brakes after that. By the time I got home, there was evident galling on about one half-inch of one side of one rotor. Remember: that was just ONE MILE at light braking. The rotors were completely salvageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back