Brake fluid change!??

So please explain to the listening audience how "Brownian motion" works through non-serviceable filters in ABS systems?
We just changed the original fluid in my 2005 Silverado half ton, drum brakes in the rest. 3/4 bleeders came right out. 4th was seized so it will need a new $12 wheel cylinder on that side to get the last bit of fluid out. My mechanic says a fluid change in the reservoir will not make it all the way to the wheel cylinders. Just changing the reservoir fluid isn't going to do much in his opinion. He thinks it's a good idea to flush the fluid every 3-4 years, although they haven't been selling many flushes lately because they go by condition and some of the newer vehicles are staying clean quite a while. They don't try to sell a flush unless the fluid is black like mine was.

Could you take a shop vac and insert it in the top of the brake fluid tank and suck out pretty much most of the brake fluid and then refill with new fluid ?

oh well, I did it moments ago but the old fashion way, bleeding by gravity and some pressing on the brake pedal; I test CRV afterwards and I do not see much of the difference in brake feel/performance but surely enough fluid looks way way better; tomorrow, I'll do the Accord

IMG_0775.jpeg
IMG_0819.jpeg
IMG_0801.jpeg
IMG_0808.jpeg

Finally got around to changing brake fluid in my daily driver 2003 Toyota Camry. About 120,000 miles, owned since new. May have wasted my time as it looked clean as a whistle.

my rant goes to the bleeding pump that I recently purchased online; I was ready to do the fluid change when I realized I do not have appropriate connection; the pump came with 1/4" connection but the connector that fits Honda comes with a 3/8" piece; now I have to figure where to find 3/8" connector and hopefully have everything at one spot for next time

IMG_0833.jpeg

Finally got around to changing brake fluid in my daily driver 2003 Toyota Camry. About 120,000 miles, owned since new. May have wasted my time as it looked clean as a whistle.
At that age it still likely had a lot of moisture in it, even if the fluid was still looking clean, so probably still a good idea to change it.

It absorbs it from what I've heard. They have test strips you can use to check moisture content to help you determine if your fluid should be changed.
Tight fitting lid on reservoir. Absorbs water from where? Have not seen a vented system on a new car in decades.

You've obviously never had your brake pedal go to the floor approaching Turn 12 at Road Atlanta. As I've said before, I'm not surprised that most US drivers are not concerned about the issue; I once heard a European engineer say that the difference between European drivers and American drivers is: European drivers don't care if the brakes squeal- just as long as they stop the car.
American drivers don't care if the brakes stop the car- just as long as they don't squeal.

Back