Brake caliper piston windback tool

JC1

Hi guys,

Did my rear disc brakes on the 2015 Dodge caravan and had one of those cube things, which was too small and couldn't retract the rear caliper pistons. Ended up using a needle nose set of vice grips against the outer edge to spin them back in.

What's a good set to buy that has the most sizes available? Seems some of the chinesium the sets on amazon have ones with left and right side tools.

I have the one from LISLE and it took a few tries to find the right "side" but once I did, it worked great. In the past, I've actually used the jack handle that Honda provides with the spare tire kit - it has the lug wrench on one end and a huge, flat-head screwdriver bit on the other.

Reactions: JC1
I recommend the ratcheting type that’s the type that I like the best. If you have to have the square type ones then I’m not sure I only have that in one size which I’m guessing is the standard size. A c-clamp and old brake pad works well too.

I recommend the ratcheting type that’s the type that I like the best. If you have to have the square type ones then I’m not sure I only have that in one size which I’m guessing is the standard size. A c-clamp and old brake pad works well too.
The Caravan caliper has a v type notch that needs something to twist back in. I don't have a good picture of the surface.

I use the set AutoZone rents for free.
Yeah I've used the loan a tool at Canadian Tire or part source up here. Only issue is we are I. Lockdown and they aren't loaning anything now because of this. I'd rather just buy a set and not have to deal with the loan a tool stuff.

The notch you're referring to doesn't need a dedicated adapter. The disk with round pegs from a univeral set will work to retract the piston. The key with these calipers is not wind the piston down all the way, they're known to seize after a pad replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
A c-clamp wouldn't work for the back brakes bc he needs to wind it back in. I have one of those cube things but a large screw driver worked just as well for me.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll take a look at Amazon and buy something that I only need to purchase once (I hope).

Back