BP Has the Damage From the Spill been Exaggerated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article. I recently found this one also.

One point in the article that surprised me was that up to 40% of the stuff evaporates!

I am glad that the damage is less than we feared, but that does not make me feel any better about BP's actions/inactions or that the fines should be less. 11 people are dead that didn't need to.

My Suggestion. Go there and take a look. Stay in a hotel and eat at a restaraunt. Don't trust the information from the internet or the Media? Go look for yourself. Bioremediation works.

Makes sense. I had a buddy who went to the beaches around Pensacola and saw zero oil. I thought he was joking with me.Maybe another massive con like global warming?????

Maybe not a con, like global warming, but I thought of that oil laden Pelican was that a fake Pelican or one they use in all the different pictures?? Those 11 men,
54.gif
never mind.
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Makes sense. I had a buddy who went to the beaches around Pensacola and saw zero oil. I thought he was joking with me.Maybe another massive con like global warming?????

The gulf has an huge ability to get rid of oil- since its over a vast oil field that has had *natural* oil seeps for thousands of years, its full of naturally-occurring oil-digesting bacteria. BP's use of dispersants- although widely criticized- has also kept the oil broken into fine particles that greatly increase the surface area so more bacteria can get at the oil that much faster (at least that's my guess).

People think that petroleum is completely unnatural and poisonous to everything... but to those bacteria its just another energy source rich in carbon an hydrogen. Just like sugars and starch are for higher animals.

Hayward said that the amount of oil going into the gulf was tiny compared to the amount of water in the gulf...and was ripped to shreds for stating the truth.

Looks like he was right.

...less than 1% of the number killed by the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska 21 years ago.

...so far, wildlife-response teams have collected only three visibly oiled carcasses of mammals

...assessment teams have found only about 350 acres of oiled marshes, when Louisiana was already losing about 15,000 acres of wetlands every year.

Sounds like the media is sensationalizing, similar so the Toyota sudden acceleration several months back.

The dispersants were used to hide the majority of the oil under the surface. There was a diver that went down there a while back and said he saw these balls of oil just hanging in suspension below the surface.

There is a huge amount of heavy crude on the bottom and it is moving west. The gulf and the sea life in it are far from safe especially since the corexit used as the dispersant is a deadly poison and gets into the cells of the sea life.

It is true much of the spill has evaporated and it is also true that bacteria eat the oil but the majority of the spill is being hidden under the surface. Where it will turn up and what damage it will cause is yet to be determined.

They want this off the front page.

Originally Posted By: Burt
I am glad that the damage is less than we feared, but that does not make me feel any better about BP's actions/inactions or that the fines should be less. 11 people are dead that didn't need to.

Don't forget the INACTION by O.

The media needed headlines, so this became an emergency. The administration needed a fallguy, so this became a corporate scandal.

More damage has been done by the drilling moratorium and the recently-passed legislation than by the spill.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
The media needed headlines, so this became an emergency. The administration needed a fallguy, so this became a corporate scandal.

More damage has been done by the drilling moratorium and the recently-passed legislation than by the spill.

This administration WORKS for BP (as well as every other multi-national corporation) and their shareholders just as the last administration, the one before that and the one before that and the one before that going back almost a hundred years.

I am no supporter of THIS administration or THIS congress. That's for [censored] sure. I'm just a realist that finally has seen the big picture and it's a BIG picture indeed. It is horrifying as well.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The gulf has an huge ability to get rid of oil- since its over a vast oil field that has had *natural* oil seeps for thousands of years, its full of naturally-occurring oil-digesting bacteria. BP's use of dispersants- although widely criticized- has also kept the oil broken into fine particles that greatly increase the surface area so more bacteria can get at the oil that much faster (at least that's my guess).

People think that petroleum is completely unnatural and poisonous to everything... but to those bacteria its just another energy source rich in carbon an hydrogen. Just like sugars and starch are for higher animals.

A very good, true, and accurate statement. It's about time. Thanks!

Like all have been said, oil is not that toxic and can be broken down. Most people don't know petroleum were added to food (the cream in your twinkis) and cosmetic, lotions, etc and it really is no big deal if cleaned right.

The media disaster was that they don't know how to shut it off before they drill, thinking that it will never happen. Now that it happened once, the next time god forbidden they blow up again we'll have a much quicker response time.

Oil from sunken ship leaked out and pollute the coast all the time here in the CA coast, it could be cleaned over time, just that many birds die and you'll have to make sure there's enough of a population so they don't extinct from one accident.

People blame the government for not doing enough, people blame the government for being in the pockets of the oil companies, and now people blame the government for playing the hype. Can't people think and realized that these are all conflicting accusation?

Not so much is floating into shore anymore, but it's what's under the sand that bothers me. We are digging down 12-24 inches and it's dug in deep. Tar balls are easy to find underneath the "groomed surface". The clean up crews are doing a fine job on top of the sand, but very little is being done to get what's under the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back