BP and the ripoff of the American public

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since BP shut down its pipeline last week, gas prices in Montana have risen 10 to 17 cents a gallon, depending on which gas station you go to. Despite the fact that the news media NOW reports that BP only has to shut down about half of its pipeline flow, the gas prices in Montana have not fallen. Thanks, BP. ALL of the gas sold in Montana is refined in Montana from petroleum pumped out of Montana wells. Montana actually exports petroleum, after using what its citizens need. NONE of the petroleum refined in Montana comes from BP's Prudhoe Bay pipelines. AND there are still people who claim that big oil is not ripping off the American public! If none of our Montana gas comes from the Alaskan Pipeline, then what is the justification for this kind of rise in the price of gas in Montana since the BP shutdown?

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
Since BP shut down its pipeline last week, gas prices in Montana have risen 10 to 17 cents a gallon, depending on which gas station you go to. Despite the fact that the news media NOW reports that BP only has to shut down about half of its pipeline flow, the gas prices in Montana have not fallen. Thanks, BP. ALL of the gas sold in Montana is refined in Montana from petroleum pumped out of Montana wells. Montana actually exports petroleum, after using what its citizens need. NONE of the petroleum refined in Montana comes from BP's Prudhoe Bay pipelines. AND there are still people who claim that big oil is not ripping off the American public! If none of our Montana gas comes from the Alaskan Pipeline, then what is the justification for this kind of rise in the price of gas in Montana since the BP shutdown? [/QUOTE

Surely you must understand that the answer to your question is "Supply and demand" and "The market determines the price of gas".

quote:

Since BP shut down its pipeline last week, gas prices in Montana have risen 10 to 17 cents a gallon, depending on which gas station you go to. Despite the fact that the news media NOW reports that BP only has to shut down about half of its pipeline flow, the gas prices in Montana have not fallen. Thanks, BP. ALL of the gas sold in Montana is refined in Montana from petroleum pumped out of Montana wells. Montana actually exports petroleum, after using what its citizens need. NONE of the petroleum refined in Montana comes from BP's Prudhoe Bay pipelines. AND there are still people who claim that big oil is not ripping off the American public! If none of our Montana gas comes from the Alaskan Pipeline, then what is the justification for this kind of rise in the price of gas in Montana since the BP shutdown? [/QUOTE

Surely you must understand that the answer to your question is "Supply and demand" and "The market determines the price of gas".
Ah, yes. How stupid of me not to realize that either the population of Montana rose in one week in proportion to the rise in the gas price (a rise of about 2-5 % of the state's population in one week), or that the Montana people drove so much more in one week that they generated that kind of rise in the demand for gas, despite the fact that Montana can still produce, and refine, enough gas to cover either such an increase in the population or such an increase in the amount that the Montana population drove, neither of which, of course, happened).

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
Huh? Are you talking to yourself here?

It's called satirical dialogue. Its a literary art form. Which you should be well aware of, in view of the pathetic attempts by BP to constantly proclaim, in the news media during the past week, the desire of BP to do what's best for the environment, whlle it reaps huge profits, none of which it spends to keep the Alaskan Pipeline running without breakdowns, despite its constant promises to do so in the past.

At my local ARCO station, the price is still $3.11 for regular; the same price as before the shut down. I was thinking today, maybe BP is going to go ahead and aborb the costs without raising their prices. That in my opinion, is what they should do.

spaz.gif
hahaha never mind

It is very likely the locals are jerking your chain - are they all owned by BP? - Obviously more of our fuel comes from Alaska than yours, yet our prices have been slightly stable.

Sue 'em.

I enjoyed the dialog. Feel better?
smile.gif

Prices here in my area have'nt increased with the BP problem. They have been stable for a while $3.05 for regular

Gas prices here have gone DOWN in the last week since BP announced the pipeline maintenance. As was predicited, it's mostly the western US that feels the price impact.

Half the feed to BP's Carson (Los Angeles) refinery was from Alaska and it is the largest refinery here. The price of ARCO gas has gone down a cent or two.

I happen to be a BP stockholder and lost money last week while all the other oil companies went up. I never did think much of BP trying to cultivate an "environmental" image. It just backfired, "beyond petroleum" or "beyond propaganda".

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
Huh? Are you talking to yourself here?

I was thinking the same thing. Sorta of like multi-personality.

Anyway, since the shutdown, the gas in my area has remained for the most part, stable. Everyone harps on Exxon-Mobil gouging the public, but in my city, all the Exxons have gas .06-.09 cents lower than all the other stations, which include Valero, Chevron, Shell and I think Phillups(66). Its currently at 2.91, Exxon. I look at that over the bad reports about Exxons record profits. In other words, "where the rubber meets the road" for me, as far as gas prices.

Supply & demand doesn't explain these things to me well enough.

When (for example) Iran goes nuts and quits exporting petroleum, we loose 7% of our supply. Gas prices jump by 25%. What the heck?

Mobil gas is horrible. I won't buy it, other than Super when it's at a really good price. $3.07 for 93 is do-able when others are $2.89 for Regs.

quote:

When (for example) Iran goes nuts and quits exporting petroleum, we loose 7% of our supply. Gas prices jump by 25%. What the heck?

because 99.9% of Americans are conditioned to believe that the middle east provides all of our petroleum supplies so when something happens over there, oh maybe one of the 30,000 crown princes gets a cold - our gas prices go up, and they accept this because they believe that we get all of our oil from them. If I was in the oil business I would rip people off too, I hear it gets you a big fat retirement package.

quote:

Originally posted by Thee1:
because 99.9% of Americans are conditioned to believe that the middle east provides all of our petroleum supplies so when something happens over there,

For all practical purposes all our oil might as well come from there..Price of a barrel of oil coming from Saudi Arabia is the same as a barrel from Venezuele (factor transportation/quality of the crude). If the Saudi oil goes up by a buck so does the stuff from Venezuela.

So 99.9% of Americans have it right..but don't realize it.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back