Boy, did I get taken…

I worked at a GM garage when I was a kid and the owners occasionally put a can of GM's "combustion chamber conditioner" through an older car's engine. Part of the contents would be slowly poured through the carbueretor and then the engine would be stalled with the rest of the can. That would be left to sit for a few hours. When restarted, they would smoke like crazy. We considered a lot of smoke a good sign. It was really impressive anyway.

LS swaps are out of style now that Ford is selling a crate EV motor and controller, LS always loses in torque :)
Blasphemy! Lol. Although.. I saw the video about the LS swap into a 911. That didn't have the right oil pan affixed. Then started to make very expensive mechanical noises. So then they did it again, and said, and I quote, that it can do things on the track that a 911 can only dream of... You may like the Tesla Model S Plaid vs BMW M5 CS vs Cadillac CTS-V Blackwing compare. Hit the YouTube a week or so ago, dont exactly remember. I am one of those that notices that you give it a long enough distance and the gasoline vehicles will be closing the gap if you give it enough distance, though that Plaid is beyond Ludicrous and Elon Musk is obsessed with Spaceballs. Cute billionaire humor.

Wait until competition heats up in all electric SUVs. And it is not just the new Hummer coming down the line.

I worked at a GM garage when I was a kid and the owners occasionally put a can of GM's "combustion chamber conditioner" through an older car's engine. Part of the contents would be slowly poured through the carbueretor and then the engine would be stalled with the rest of the can. That would be left to sit for a few hours. When restarted, they would smoke like crazy. We considered a lot of smoke a good sign. It was really impressive anyway.
I used a product called Carb Out a few times back in '70s. It certainly made a lot of smoke; I assumed it was working as advertised, but a sceptical friend suggested that perhaps all the product did was create smoke.

Seafoam in my oil in a burner Volvo made a dramatic difference, with synthetic oil, over time. Like over 15k miles.
How much did you use? I figure at the rate it burns oil I would need to add a bit more than recommended or it will get burned before it can do any good.

With gas prices on the rise in general, if you want to unload that car it won’t be hard.

Weird how some of these 2.4 engines burn oil like crazy, and others don’t use a drop. Known a couple of people with 09-10 engines, and they are fine.

How much did you use? I figure at the rate it burns oil I would need to add a bit more than recommended or it will get burned before it can do any good.
I kept half a can in the sump all the time. Car came to me using 1 qt every thousand miles. Started noting a difference after around 15,000 miles. After 25,000 the consumption was down to less than a quart in 3,000 and I stopped using it.

With gas prices on the rise in general, if you want to unload that car it won’t be hard.

Weird how some of these 2.4 engines burn oil like crazy, and others don’t use a drop. Known a couple of people with 09-10 engines, and they are fine.
My wife’s 09 RAV4 has the same engine and about the same number of miles. It doesn’t burn a drop.

Unload it for $2500. It runs and it drives. There’s a market for that type of stuff. Or if you don’t mind keeping a few quarts of oil in the trunk it would still do fine as an errand car.

Usually $3700 stuff has worn out suspension and oil leaks. So if it’s got decent tires and runs good, it’s not too bad of a deal especially these days.

High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner. You put it in the oil for 1-2k miles changing the filter often. They're a member on here and from what I've noticed very nice giving tours of their plant, discounts, samples, etc.

The plugs were covered with white ash. It’s clearly been burning oil. These engines have a well-known problem with their oil control rings. The PCV might be contributing but it probably has other problems too.
oil burning would be dark oily carbon deposits. White ash is from gasoline additives.

Back