Boy, did I get taken…

I'd change oil and filter, putting high mileage motor oil. Check pcv system.
Detail the car inside and out. Sell or trade it asap.

I recently bought a 2009 Scion xB with the 2az-fe engine. It’s an oil burner. I filled it to the top mark yesterday before taking a 300 mile trip, almost all 70mph interstate driving. I checked the oil this morning and it’s barely touching the bottom of the dipstick. Because it’s a 2009 it’s outside the Toyota 10 year repair program even though it has less than 150k miles.

This is the first used car I’ve ever bought. I knew it was a gamble, as all used cars are, but I had at least some hope it wouldn’t turn out this bad. I’m soaking the pistons with Berryman’s B12 right now, but that’s probably just a waste of good chemicals and time. The good news in all this is that I have two other perfectly good vehicles and I bought the Scion as a short-trip and errand car. At the very worst I’m out $3700 (less whatever I could get from parting it out) and Im very fortunate to be able to afford the loss without any serious financial pain.

I’m curious what others would do in my situation. I figure these are my options:

1) Try a bunch of different piston soaks and oil changes in hopes of opening up the oil drain holes and freeing up the rings.
2) Try and see if Toyota will work with me to at least partially cover the cost of their piston swap repair program.
3. See how much a local shop would charge to do the rings and pistons.
4) See how much an engine swap would be, although a used engine might have the same problem.
5) Be a jerk and see if I can unload it on the used market.
6) Keep it and just keep feeding it oil until the engine grenades, then part It out or sell it for scrap.
7) Other?

Your thoughts?
Try BG EPR....worked on an oil drinking audi we once had.
Might need 2 treatments if it's really bad.

Try BG EPR....worked on an oil drinking audi we once had.
Might need 2 treatments if it's really bad.
I have a can I’m going to use at the next change. If it gives me a couple hundred more miles to the quart I’ll be satisfied with the car and I’ll keep it. Other than the oil burning issue everything else about the car is great, especially for how little I paid in the current market.

I recently bought a 2009 Scion xB with the 2az-fe engine. It’s an oil burner. I filled it to the top mark yesterday before taking a 300 mile trip, almost all 70mph interstate driving. I checked the oil this morning and it’s barely touching the bottom of the dipstick. Because it’s a 2009 it’s outside the Toyota 10 year repair program even though it has less than 150k miles.

This is the first used car I’ve ever bought. I knew it was a gamble, as all used cars are, but I had at least some hope it wouldn’t turn out this bad. I’m soaking the pistons with Berryman’s B12 right now, but that’s probably just a waste of good chemicals and time. The good news in all this is that I have two other perfectly good vehicles and I bought the Scion as a short-trip and errand car. At the very worst I’m out $3700 (less whatever I could get from parting it out) and Im very fortunate to be able to afford the loss without any serious financial pain.

I’m curious what others would do in my situation. I figure these are my options:

1) Try a bunch of different piston soaks and oil changes in hopes of opening up the oil drain holes and freeing up the rings.
2) Try and see if Toyota will work with me to at least partially cover the cost of their piston swap repair program.
3. See how much a local shop would charge to do the rings and pistons.
4) See how much an engine swap would be, although a used engine might have the same problem.
5) Be a jerk and see if I can unload it on the used market.
6) Keep it and just keep feeding it oil until the engine grenades, then part It out or sell it for scrap.
7) Other?

Your thoughts?
You could do some 100 mile oil changes. Like 3 quarts of Kirkland 0/20 and a quart of ATF. Could help.

To the OP: You said above, "I have a can I’m going to use at the next change. ". I suggest the rate at which this engine burns oil AND YOU REPLACE IT, using an oil change as a time reference is vague. Do whatever you're going to do NOW.

ToCB22: I do believe the use of ATF to clean internally is a thing of the past. I read here that some cleaner / solvent element was removed from ATFs years ago.

If chemicals were in my plan, I'd use Kreen.

ToCB22: I do believe the use of ATF to clean internally is a thing of the past. I read here that some cleaner / solvent element was removed from ATFs years ago.
Yes all you're doing is needlessly diluting whatever is in the oil that might actually help.

If chemicals were in my plan, I'd use Kreen.
it would be easier to find a gold bar than a can of Kreen based on my online searches. Kano won’t sell to the little guys anymore. As hard as they make it to get their products it makes me wonder how they stay in business.

I have a 2008 Toyota Camry. It has the engine with the defective pistons/ piston rings. It burns oil, but not as bad as the 300 miles per quart guy.

I'd honestly just live with it.

Bump the oil up to the cheapest 10W40 you can find at Walmart. This should slow the consumption down to manageable levels... perhaps a quart every 500 miles.

" Kano won’t sell to the little guys anymore. As hard as they make it to get their products it makes me wonder how they stay in business."

News to me. My brother married a girl "from the neighborhood" so when they visit Nashville he goes to their desk.

I wonder if that's still open.

it would be easier to find a gold bar than a can of Kreen based on my online searches. Kano won’t sell to the little guys anymore. As hard as they make it to get their products it makes me wonder how they stay in business.
I think you can still buy their stuff but it's like double what it used to be.

Back