Boy, did I get taken…

I recently bought a 2009 Scion xB with the 2az-fe engine. It’s an oil burner. I filled it to the top mark yesterday before taking a 300 mile trip, almost all 70mph interstate driving. I checked the oil this morning and it’s barely touching the bottom of the dipstick. Because it’s a 2009 it’s outside the Toyota 10 year repair program even though it has less than 150k miles.

This is the first used car I’ve ever bought. I knew it was a gamble, as all used cars are, but I had at least some hope it wouldn’t turn out this bad. I’m soaking the pistons with Berryman’s B12 right now, but that’s probably just a waste of good chemicals and time. The good news in all this is that I have two other perfectly good vehicles and I bought the Scion as a short-trip and errand car. At the very worst I’m out $3700 (less whatever I could get from parting it out) and Im very fortunate to be able to afford the loss without any serious financial pain.

I’m curious what others would do in my situation. I figure these are my options:

1) Try a bunch of different piston soaks and oil changes in hopes of opening up the oil drain holes and freeing up the rings.
2) Try and see if Toyota will work with me to at least partially cover the cost of their piston swap repair program.
3. See how much a local shop would charge to do the rings and pistons.
4) See how much an engine swap would be, although a used engine might have the same problem.
5) Be a jerk and see if I can unload it on the used market.
6) Keep it and just keep feeding it oil until the engine grenades, then part It out or sell it for scrap.
7) Other?

Your thoughts?

Using that much oil, surely you'd see smoke, no?

Maybe this thread will help? Good luck at any rate.

That's a lot of oil to be burning- have you checked all around and under the engine bay to make sure you don't have a leak? Have you tried replacing the PCV valve? Start simple and work your way up before jumping straight to major repairs.
If I have a leak it’s only under pressure. The pavement is dry underneath it. No, I haven’t tried the PCV valve, but that’s probably a cheap thing to try.

Using that much oil, surely you'd see smoke, no?

Maybe this thread will help? Good luck at any rate.

Not a puff.

If I have a leak it’s only under pressure. The pavement is dry underneath it. No, I haven’t tried the PCV valve, but that’s probably a cheap thing to try.
I'd start there, and make sure the PCV system isn't clogged up. Try pulling your spark plugs and see if any are particularly oily or sooty. You could also rent a compression tester from an auto parts store to see if there's any issues there. There's lots of cheap stuff you can try before assuming you need an entirely new engine or an engine rebuild.
Edit: if you're really burning that much oil I'd be extremely surprised if one or more of the spark plugs doesn't show signs of it.

I'd start there, and make sure the PCV system isn't clogged up. Try pulling your spark plugs and see if any are particularly oily or sooty. You could also rent a compression tester from an auto parts store to see if there's any issues there. There's lots of cheap stuff you can try before assuming you need an entirely new engine or an engine rebuild.
Edit: if you're really burning that much oil I'd be extremely surprised if one or more of the spark plugs doesn't show signs of it.
The plugs were covered with white ash. It’s clearly been burning oil. These engines have a well-known problem with their oil control rings. The PCV might be contributing but it probably has other problems too.

Oil consumption of that level will likely result in piston deposits such as this in a relatively short period of time:

IMG_1293.JPG

I bought it off a used lot. The dealer said he bought it at auction and didn’t know anything about it. I changed the (very dark) oil as soon as I brought it home. I used 5w-20 like it says on the cap. I have a feeling I’m going to be trying some thicker stuff when I fill it up this time :)

Didn't the dealer have a 30 day warranty?
There might be laws in your state allowing you to return it within a specific amount of time, some states allow only 5 days some 2 weeks, maybe more.

Last edited:
Check with your Toyota dealer's parts counter. Toyota had a recommended cleaner system that was added to oil and fuel tank I believe to help cure the oil burning problems they had with the earlier 4 cylinders that had to small of holes behind oil scraper ring.

I know someone who followed the Toyota parts counter man recommendation and it fixed his oil burning situation.

Back