Bought a Ruger SR40c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always exciting to get a new gun so thought I'd share. Anyone else with this model or the SR9c? How are they working for you?
I've been wanting the SR45 with the SR40c in a close second. Really couldn't decide which to get but headed for the store this morning anyhow. Handled both and figured the SR45 would be nice but, I really don't need it. The SR40c felt good in hand and would get a lot more use as a CC gun. I have several compact 9's and a couple compact 45's but, no compact 40. I have 4 other 40's but all full size. Why not the compact?

Got the SR40c with the stainless slide, it comes with one full size mag that holds 15. The other mag is a nine round with a pinky extension on it. Comes with a flat bottom plate too you can put on if you like. Stripped the gun and cleaned it up. Won't be able to get out to shoot it for a few days yet. I'm hoping it works as well as my SR9. I've never experienced any type of failure with that gun.

The one thing about this new SR40c I've noticed is that the magazines are a little tough to get to lock in. Both mags do this. You push them in as far as they can go but then have to really push super hard to hear the click. The SR40c I played with that was in the display case was exactly the same way. I did load both mags to capacity and it was tough to get the last round in each. I did insert both mags while full into the gun to make sure they would go in. With both mags I could only get them to lock in if the slide was open while inserting. Even then it was hard to do. I hope this gets easier after shooting it some (break-in). Any other owners of this gun notice anything similar?
One thing I haven't tried is removing the plastic sleeve off of the 15 round mag and the pinky extension off of the 9 round mag. I'm thinking that maybe those are getting in the way and not letting the magazine insert quite far enough.

Sounds like a nice gun.

I've not shot one, but I've put a lot of .40 down range, and I am a fan of the caliber. I am amused by the guys who say that the .40 has too much recoil (really?) or that the .40 has far more recoil without the performance to go with it (guessing, of course, that we've repealed Newton's third law...).

Isn't too much recoil an excuse we here for using the 9mm round?

I carried a 1911 in Vietnam and can't recall anything about recoil when I fired that weapon in earnest. I have one to this day that I use for protection. I go to the range about once a month with friends and I don't know that I've ever even thought about the recoil.

If recoil is a problem then make that decision but only after receiving some professional training and advice. Articles in magazines and on the Internet are not enough information and can't begin to replace a little hands on diligence.

I'm with you Jack. I like the 1911, and never thought that the .45 ACP had too much recoil. But you'll see a lot of folks criticize the .40 for having too much recoil...alternatively, it gets criticized for not enough power (well, it's moving a bigger heavier bullet at the same speed as a 9mm, so if the 9mm is good enough, how can you say the .40 isn't??). The best are the ones who say that it's too weak and that it has too much recoil...now, you KNOW that can't be true!!

My Glock 20 (a 10mm) has quite reasonable recoil for the power of the cartridge. I can shoot it all day (my wallet gives out before my arms with that one, 10mm ain't cheap), but some folks, including some men, simply find it to be too much.

I think that my Glock 23 and my H&K USP compact in .40 have really mild recoil...but again, some folks don't like them. Among those folks would be my wife. She's a great shot, but prefers a 9mm. Her Beretta 92 is deadly in her hands...

So, the determination of power, and the determination of recoil become highly subjective. And I like the .40 as a good balance between power (more than a 9mm, less than a .45) and magazine capacity (less than a 9mm, but more than a .45). I particularly like the .40 in a carry weapon for that balance...but not everyone agrees with me...

To me, the recoil is sharper with the .40 vs .45. I own both but keep the .40 loaded for home defense. The double action 1st shot is handy as well as the easy decocker.

Love Rugers. Have a LC9 for conceal carry and may get the SR45 one day. As for the stiff magazine, I have that on my S&W M&P Shield 9mm. I have to work to get the magazine in whether its loaded or not. Hopefully it will never matter. Congrats on the gun.

Congratulations and good shooting. Reminds me I need to get back out to the range. Perhaps one of these nice winter weekdays.

Took the SR40c to the range this morning and
put 170 rounds of 180 grain FMJ's through it. WOW, is this a nice shooter. I'm really pleased with my purchase.

Last night I compared it to my Glock 19 and was shocked to see that they are pretty much the same size. By just looking at them I'd swear the Ruger was smaller. Anyhow, for comparison this morning I took my Glock 23 with me and the SR40c to shoot side by side. Night and day difference in feel and recoil. The Ruger is an absolute pleasure to shoot and has a much lighter recoil. The ergonomics of the SR40c win hands down too, no contest. It has the little rubber backing on the grip that can be turned around to bump out to make the grip a hair fatter. I've never been a fan of the Glock 23/19 grip, it doesn't fit my hand at all. I can't figure out how some people say it fits like a glove. How different can our hands be? My pinky skin always gets pinched between the bottom of the grip and the magazine. My middle finger joint rubs badly on the bottom of the trigger guard. After a couple mags I've had enough. Only put 50 rounds through it today. That's all I wanted.

The Ruger performed great with what I had, WWB and Federal brass and aluminum. No failures. I forgot to bring any HP's but will next time. I want to put at least another 200 rounds through it before I consider it for a carry gun. All in all I'm glad I bought this. I'm excited to take it out again already.

I've had my SR40c for almost 3 years. I LIKE it, and I really like the 40S&W! Flies like a 9, hits like a brick. I did have one issue last year. Light strikes. I called Ruger's plant in Arizona, spoke to a VERY nice rep who next day'd me a shipping label for the gun. Had it back in 12 days and has not malfunctioned since. No tool take down, easy to clean, especially if you go on Ruger's website for the videos. You have bought wisely and well. If you reload, in no particular order I recommend; 700X, HS-6, Power Pistol. If you want a long arm to go with it, look into a Hi-Point in 40. For that, you'd be surprised at what Longshot powder can do.

I have a SR-9C and a SR-40C. Love 'em both! Very nice guns and a joy to shoot. Got approximately 1500-1700 rounds through eac with various brands of ammo and have NEVER had a mis fire, fail to eject, or any other problems. They go bang!every time I pull the trigger. The 9 is a little nicer to shoot and I seem to enjoy slightly better accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back