Bought a new Kubota

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I'm starting to look at these as well and just learned there's a B 01 series and a B 50 series.. I did not know this. The B 50 series being somewhat larger than the 01 and a tad smaller than the L. To make it more confusing, the BX is even smaller than the 01.

Op, when you were looking at tractors, did you consider the L? A B2650 and L2501 are very close in price and I am torn. Same situation with the 33 horse models.

My father and I looked at an equivalent JD and they are basically the same price. I try not to be brand biased so I figured they were worth the look.. Very cheap look and feel IMO. Growing up with Kubota my whole life, I felt like a traitor too.

I chose the 50 series for the larger frame and tires. The fact that I am 6'-5" factored in as well.

As far as the BX series, I never really considered it because I thought it would just be too small for what I needed it to do. I did look at the L series Kubota but the lack of a mid PTO was the killer for me because I wanted to have the option of adding a front mount snowblower or a belly mower.

The B2650 with the rear and mid PTOs just hit the sweet spot being big enough to do what I need without the DEF stuff that the larger engines have. Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I went to the local dealer and talked to the owner's son who I've known for quite some time. He said he wouldn't sell me a B3350 and that he would send me to the competition because of the issues they've had with that model. Something about the diesel particulate filter.

He talked me down and recommended the L2501 to me for my uses since I plan on having a rear mount finishing mower vs. a belly mower and had no need for the mid mount PTO (extra cost) With a loader, 72" Land Pride finisher and the tractor (hydro), I was at 21.5k. I may step it up to the L3301, but he said it wasn't necessary. My current needs are a rear mount mower and a blade.. Perhaps a snow blower and a 8000 watt PTO driven generator down the road as well.

I find myself being very brand biased with tractors, but I looked at John Deer, which was 2k more. The rear end sat lower to the ground and the loader wasn't removable. The salesmen are quick to say "oh the bucket comes off." Yes, just the bucket, but the arms are bolted to the tractor. I can't say I've seen anyone, my father included, just remove the bucket from the tractor.. seems silly to me. The overall tractor just seemed very cheap. Plastic/ composite everything, hydraulic hose fittings with the word China stamped in them, cast loader components. This is odd, but I did't care for the colors either. Black frame with engine components that looked like the came off a car, yellow rims and green body. Kubota is orange and dark blue everything. Very thought out IMO. Also, as the size of the tractor increased, the 3 point hitch design resembled the Kubota L series, which I found ironic as well..

So overall right now, it's between the L2501 or the L3301. I'm not one for going out and buying new, but I'd buy this thing and keep it for the rest of my life. 0% APR makes it very affordable too as well as the work's value done each month far exceeds the monthly payment.

Last edited:
It's been a few years and I thought that it might be a good time to update this thread. The wife and I did retire in 2020 amid the onset of the whole covid thing.

In December of our first year of retirement in Vermont we had an epic snowfall. I think that we had 40 inches of snow in 12 hours and it just seemed like it would never end. Here's a pic of me in the middle of it with my walk behind blower.
1658073275124.png

The next day I managed to get my Tacoma down the driveway and to the Kubota dealer and ordered a front mount snowblower.
1658073479080.png

It's good thing too because it didn't take long for me to need it.
1658073614124.png

So after 4 years of ownership I now have a grapple and a flail mower for summer work and this is my winter setup.....
1658074869520.png

It's been a few years and I thought that it might be a good time to update this thread. The wife and I did retire in 2020 amid the onset of the whole covid thing.

In December of our first year of retirement in Vermont we had an epic snowfall. I think that we had 40 inches of snow in 12 hours and it just seemed like it would never end. Here's a pic of me in the middle of it with my walk behind blower.
View attachment 108494

The next day I managed to get my Tacoma down the driveway and to the Kubota dealer and ordered a front mount snowblower.
View attachment 108495

It's good thing too because it didn't take long for me to need it.
View attachment 108496

So after 4 years of ownership I now have a grapple and a flail mower for summer work and this is my winter setup.....
View attachment 108500
Yep with that kind of snow fall a blower is the way to go. Nice setup for snow you’ve got there.

Nice machine OP. I actually just picked up a 2014 B2620 with hydro transmission, loader, and 54" mower. I had actually never heard about the Piranha bar until seeing your post. (y)
Nice. The D1105 is used in everything.

Check out everything attachments. They have something similar too.

I'm glad to see you got the front blower.

I've run a rear blower once....that was enough. If people are honest, the only reason they get a rear blower is price. A front blower is the way to go.

I've had a JD 455 with 47" front blower for 7 years. Just sold it, and bought a new Yanmar SA324 with 60" front blower. Here in ME we get the snow like you do in VT. It just keeps falling!

Went new for similar reasons you did, and went with a Yanmar due to the owner of the dealer being a good friend of mine. Didn't even look elsewhere. We have Kubota, JD, and Yanmar all in the same town. Kioti, TYM, and LS tractor dealers in next town over.

My experience has been the Kubota, JD, and Yanmar are all very competitive in price and quality. The rest are honestly price point tractors and long term it shows.

I considered getting the cab version but the substantial cost and the fact that my property is mostly heavily wooded with lots of low branches swayed me against the cab version.
Yep, I don't regret not getting cab either, I do have to dress up for snow plowing but I've already got seriously warm gear for ice fishing. Most small farms still have a smaller utility tractor for around the barn without a cab. Just makes hooking up wagons and implements easier, easier to see what you are doing when cleaning out the barn yard, and you don't have to clean the glass every other day to see. Also the glass and AC are just a few more expensive things to break...
Now if you are spending a lot of hours seated, blowing a bunch of driveways or doing field work, then a cab becomes really nice to have, but for my stuff, the longest I'm usually in the seat is an hour mowing the trails, and I usually do that in the early evening so its just a nice ride in the cooler part of the day.
Probably shouldn't do this too much, but I find I can operate my tractor, steering, loader, hst pedals, rear remote valves, just standing on the left side on the ground, handy for tricky stuff when you need to adjust the tractor a little bit a bunch of times. I leave the parking brake on and in low range, the HST has no trouble moving the tractor, but it will hold still even on a steep slope.

Time to get ready for summer and the snowblower comes off first.
IMG_2813-X4.jpg
Looks like the blower and tractor got a good test this winter, judging by the snow banks. We got 3 heavy dumps of snow which had me thinking about a blower, as my usual 45 min of clearing turned into near 2 hours...

Time to get ready for summer and the snowblower comes off first.
IMG_2813-X4.jpg
What a good looking unit!

The back blade is a great piece with the blower too. Do you find yourself using it a lot? I am probably going to order a blower for my 1025R and I could see the back blade helping a ton in tidying up to get the driveway super clean.

What a good looking unit!

The back blade is a great piece with the blower too. Do you find yourself using it a lot? I am probably going to order a blower for my 1025R and I could see the back blade helping a ton in tidying up to get the driveway super clean.
Thanks, I do like the rear scraper blade. It's just a cheap one from Tractor Supply but it does its job.

If we get a light 2-3 inches of snow, I just scrape it into a long thin pile in the middle of the driveway with two passes and then blow it on the third pass. Sometimes I reverse the blade and use it as a plow backing up. The only negative is that it has no hydraulics so I have to get off the tractor every time I want to reposition it but I can live with that.

Always wear the seatbelt. Had 2 newly retired neighbors that managed to roll their new tractors.

Back