Kubota oil help

Well after being a member on here for about 12 years I couldn't get it to recognize me anymore and couldn't figure out the issue so I had to start a new
account. Anyway I bought an older Kubota this week and it has a sticker for the oil recomendation. I want to protect it as good as possible and read an
article that Kubota engineers advised not to use synthetics in it because of some ring sealing issue and only to use recommended oils. Here's my delimma
I can't find oils rated like the sticker says and wanted to ask the experts before I just dump something in. I will attach a picture of the oil label and I live where
humidity is high in summer with mild winters. It did get -12 last Feb. but that was a first for me in 53 years normally it hits 18 at the lowest and mostly 32-102
most summers it hits 98 in mid summer occasionally 100+ for a week or two not lately. Would like to use something that would be good year
round so I didn't have to change oil every time the weather changes since I wouldn't be using it very often and the oil would have low hours. I would
like to change it once a year but might have to do 2 changes if necessary.

thanks
Dave
20210713_173316.jpg

honestly id just run 15w-40 or if you're more concerned about cold weather a good 0/5w-40 would do. id try to look for quaker state euro at walmart. that old engine would benefit from a touch thicker oil.

I'd run a synthetic 5W-40 or even something like Rotella T5 10W-30 year round and not worry about the "don't use synthetic". Had a Kubota B7100 compact tractor from the early 90s with a belly mower and it got synthetic 5W-40 or 10W-30 syn blend HDEO, usually Rotella T5 or T6, and had no issues.

Weird little tractor. Only one I've ever owned that was a thermosyphon cooling system. Had a little whistle on the radiator overflow to let you know when it was overheating.

I'd run a synthetic 5W-40 or even something like Rotella T5 10W-30 year round and not worry about the "don't use synthetic". Had a Kubota B7100 compact tractor from the early 90s with a belly mower and it got synthetic 5W-40 or 10W-30 syn blend HDEO, usually Rotella T5 or T6, and had no issues.

Weird little tractor. Only one I've ever owned that was a thermosyphon cooling system. Had a little whistle on the radiator overflow to let you know when it was overheating.
Mine has the label that says it has the whistle

Dave

That is an old sticker. That DS class is from the 50's and predates the modern rating system. Any modern HDEO 10w30 will be far superior to the DS spec on that label.
You dont need anything fancy, any conventional or modern Gp3 synth will work.

I will try to find it and post

Dave
I am still trying to find the link I thought it was on Orange tractor talk the guy in the article said in the late 70's he worked for a large construction
company that had numerous kubota diesel engines and he wanted to run synthetic oil in them and they were very strongly against it and told
him to stick with what it was designed to run by manufacturer. He said they said that there would be a ring to cylinder type issue with the synthetic
but he ran it anyway and had no issues. I will try to find it again so I can post.
Dave

Did Kubota say that?

Kubota never said I should not run it , only that they can only give me an hour based OCI on the exact oil they tested with.

I didnt even run HDEO in my gensets but off the shelf 0w-40 and the group here figured I could easily double the 150 hour spec.

Last edited:
Back in the 70's everyone was warning of using Synthetic. I remember a motorcycle dealer telling me if I wanted to switch to synthetic I needed to be sure all the conventional oil was drained because there were compatibility issues. None of that is true today with modern oils and additives.
There was a lot of talk about synthetic being so slippery that bearing would not spin they would slide :). Oil has come a long way, I dont think you need to worry about any modern oil. The synthetic might even help keep the engine cooler which is always a concern in really hot weather.

My local Kubota dealer sells a Kubota brand 5w40. My dad and I have a few Kubotas. 1980-2018. All of which see synthetic.

I tell people 10w30 or 15w40 to be warranty compliant with 10w30 being the most all weather complaint. (Something this old you should at a block heater anyways.) You don’t have a warranty to worry about so use just about any diesel oil you want.

Well after being a member on here for about 12 years I couldn't get it to recognize me anymore and couldn't figure out the issue so I had to start a new
account. Anyway I bought an older Kubota this week and it has a sticker for the oil recomendation. I want to protect it as good as possible and read an
article that Kubota engineers advised not to use synthetics in it because of some ring sealing issue and only to use recommended oils. Here's my delimma
I can't find oils rated like the sticker says and wanted to ask the experts before I just dump something in. I will attach a picture of the oil label and I live where
humidity is high in summer with mild winters. It did get -12 last Feb. but that was a first for me in 53 years normally it hits 18 at the lowest and mostly 32-102
most summers it hits 98 in mid summer occasionally 100+ for a week or two not lately. Would like to use something that would be good year
round so I didn't have to change oil every time the weather changes since I wouldn't be using it very often and the oil would have low hours. I would
like to change it once a year but might have to do 2 changes if necessary.

thanks
DaveView attachment 63553
What Samven said! I remember back in the 70s when I switched to synthetics on my farm, it was their beginning and there were so many rumours flying about then. Kubotas are great tractors I'd use a synthetic today within Kubota specs without any hesitation.

Did Kubota say that?

Kubota never said I should not run it , only that they can only give me an hour based OCI on the exact oil they tested with.

I didnt even run HDEO in my gensets but off the shelf 0w-40 and the group here figured I could easily double the 150 hour spec.
The article was the guy talking about he had met with kubota engineers back then and they told him that.

Dave

Depending on the starting temps I would use a 5W-40 or a 15w=40 HDEO oil. The 15w=40 would be the better choice if the Starting temps didn't get much below freezing.

Back