Bought a car last weekend.

Excellent score and confirmation there are excellent inexpensive used cars out there! Congrats OP. I think this retailed for about $30,000 new. So you got a car with probably most of its remaining life for about 1/2 the price. This is exactly, exactly, the point I am making in a different thread on depreciation.
There are inexpensive cars that almost always come with compromises. So yes-you are right in that regard. In this case-the pant is trash. And a really good paint job is $5,000.00. Anything less will not age well.

No harm in sanding this at 220 then 400 then shooting clear from a can on it. It will look better than it does now and if you botch it, it’s easy to redo. I’d be all over that with duplicolor or VHT wheel paint in clear.

No harm in sanding this at 220 then 400 then shooting clear from a can on it. It will look better than it does now and if you botch it, it’s easy to redo. I’d be all over that with duplicolor or VHT wheel paint in clear.
Truly a BITOG cheap method.

GM paint is hit or miss. My 2012 Silverado (Victory Red paint code) is perfect while my 2002 Cavalier peeled with the same color after 10 years. Waxing definitely helps.
My 2005 Silverado black original paint looks great still other than scratches from driving in the woods. It has a new fender and door and new can corners and rocker panels and the paint difference is barely noticeable from the new to the old. The fiberglass cap black paint is faded badly though and wax didn't seem to help much.

Back