Bought a car last weekend.

Seeing as how my daily drivers had 550,000 miles accumulated between them, I figured it would be nice to have a newer car. My '08 Dodge Ram in particular had become annoying after costing me $6000 in repairs last year. Since I stopped running trailers, it was no longer needed, and I decided to trade it for something more suited to daily commuting in the wilds of Detroit Metro.

Buick.jpg

2014 Buick Verano T. 48,000 miles. 2.0L DI turbo 4-cylinder. 250 HP.

Buick-shifter.jpg

6-speed manual transmission. This makes it pretty rare. How many people even knew that Buick had a manual in any car in 2014?

Buick-hood.jpg

I got it for a good price because of paint damage on the hood, roof, and deck lid. It looked like somebody tried waxing it with sandpaper and scouring powder. I will be getting new paint on it in a few months, but in the meantime, it should be good to drive.
In the process of learning how to use the infotainment system, I found that the original owner had never reset the trip odometer because its reading matched the odometer. By extension that also means the average fuel economy and average vehicle speed readings had probably never been reset, either. So in 48,296 miles, the car averaged 19.1 mpg, and 22.1 mph.

I put the car right into service last week, making a 460-mile round-trip on Tuesday. It gave me 32.8 mpg at 77 mph on the interstate, so I'm happy about that. It has a much softer ride than the Camaro, and more maneuverable in tight spaces, so it seems like just the thing for Detroit area commuting.

I looked at the oil on the dipstick when checking it out at the dealer, and it was clean. The dealer said the oil had been changed, but they didn't reset the oil monitor, which was at 9% when I found it in the Driver Information Center. It's timed out now, and asking for an oil change. I bought a 5-qt jug of M1 5w30 and Fram Ultra filter for it this morning.

I’ve only seen a few of those with the 6 speed manual. I’ve dreamed of finding a wrecked one with the 6MT and putting it in my Cruze Diesel.

How much was it?

$13,000.

I was checking the used car search sites occasionally for about a year to see how available they were. I found one in Arizona last November. This was the first one that popped up close to me, so I pulled the trigger.

Excellent score and confirmation there are excellent inexpensive used cars out there! Congrats OP. I think this retailed for about $30,000 new. So you got a car with probably most of its remaining life for about 1/2 the price. This is exactly, exactly, the point I am making in a different thread on depreciation.

Interesting it's got a manual. I might opt for carbon fiber body wrap on those parts instead of paint.
Yes. My brother also suggested a wrap. Maybe I could change the wrap seasonally: black in the winter, white in the summer.

Seeing as how my daily drivers had 550,000 miles accumulated between them, I figured it would be nice to have a newer car. My '08 Dodge Ram in particular had become annoying after costing me $6000 in repairs last year. Since I stopped running trailers, it was no longer needed, and I decided to trade it for something more suited to daily commuting in the wilds of Detroit Metro.

View attachment 65509

2014 Buick Verano T. 48,000 miles. 2.0L DI turbo 4-cylinder. 250 HP.

View attachment 65510

6-speed manual transmission. This makes it pretty rare. How many people even knew that Buick had a manual in any car in 2014?

View attachment 65511

I got it for a good price because of paint damage on the hood, roof, and deck lid. It looked like somebody tried waxing it with sandpaper and scouring powder. I will be getting new paint on it in a few months, but in the meantime, it should be good to drive.
In the process of learning how to use the infotainment system, I found that the original owner had never reset the trip odometer because its reading matched the odometer. By extension that also means the average fuel economy and average vehicle speed readings had probably never been reset, either. So in 48,296 miles, the car averaged 19.1 mpg, and 22.1 mph.

I put the car right into service last week, making a 460-mile round-trip on Tuesday. It gave me 32.8 mpg at 77 mph on the interstate, so I'm happy about that. It has a much softer ride than the Camaro, and more maneuverable in tight spaces, so it seems like just the thing for Detroit area commuting.

I looked at the oil on the dipstick when checking it out at the dealer, and it was clean. The dealer said the oil had been changed, but they didn't reset the oil monitor, which was at 9% when I found it in the Driver Information Center. It's timed out now, and asking for an oil change. I bought a 5-qt jug of M1 5w30 and Fram Ultra filter for it this morning.

A 5-speed? Wow. Rare find. Cool.

Never knew Buick made any manual cars in the 21st century lol. Though I couldn’t imagine having one in heavy traffic like that. My knees would kill me after shifting in high traffic like that. That’s why I rarely take my truck to work anymore because there is about 10 miles of stop and go traffic then 17 of nothing but pure country roads lol.

A Buick with a stick, nice.

That paint is classic poor GM paint with sun damage. Happened on my step-mom’s 2010 Pontiac G6 when it was 3 years old. I see it here in the desert on almost all GM cars of that era.

Nice find with the manual! I know on my Ram I've left the fuel economy unreset for nearly 20k miles and it doesn't represent a true lifetime MPG number. Mine swings much closer to the MPG's of the last tank.

GM paint is hit or miss. My 2012 Silverado (Victory Red paint code) is perfect while my 2002 Cavalier peeled with the same color after 10 years. Waxing definitely helps.

Back