Bought a 2014 XV Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 555
There is some sort of extra valve to "tumble" the mixture on cold starts. This is what causes the racket on startup. Also this engine is not direct injected, which would make extra noise alla da time! Have 10k on my XV with CVT and the mileage and performance improve significantly with miles. Nicest part of top, inverted oil filter is that you could change the filter more often and not replace the oil. I'm not advocating longer time in the crankcase for the oil, just that if you put in a decent 100% synthetic then why not change the filter in the middle of it's life?

Mazda plays with the valve timing during cold start. It sounds funny for a minute or so until it gets "warmed up".

But my Focus is port injected and there is no variable valve timing.

Originally Posted By: LC
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

My wife and I have one on order. We opted to get the MT and they seem pretty rare which is why we had to order one. Can't wait to get it!

It is my understanding with the MT you get a true 50/50 split with the 4 wheel drive system.
(equal power to all 4 wheels?)

Yes with MT the split is 50/50 and 60/40 with the CVT

2800 miles so far an no consumption that I can tell. Maybe changing to TGMO on Wednesday

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Originally Posted By: LC
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

My wife and I have one on order. We opted to get the MT and they seem pretty rare which is why we had to order one. Can't wait to get it!

It is my understanding with the MT you get a true 50/50 split with the 4 wheel drive system.
(equal power to all 4 wheels?)

Yes with MT the split is 50/50 and 60/40 with the CVT

2800 miles so far an no consumption that I can tell. Maybe changing to TGMO on Wednesday

I would expect for there to be some control over the AWD split with the CVT. My '99 has 60/40 as well except when you drop the AT into "1st" and then it is 50/50. Although they might do something differently with a ESC unit.

Yeah, there's a lot of conflicting info out there in regards to what the actual front/rear axle torque split is on the new CVT equipped Subarus. As an owner (and avid follower), I'm still not clear on it. The only "control" you have over the new CVT equipped is turning the stability control off. They are heavily computer controlled as you would expect with any E-throttle, automagic these days.

Pretty sure we're assuming the new Subaru manuals are still 50/50 split.

FWIW, my 2012 2.5i EJ has always sounded terrible on a cold start. The tiny Fisher-Price battery makes for a slow crank on real cold starts as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Yeah, there's a lot of conflicting info out there in regards to what the actual front/rear axle torque split is on the new CVT equipped Subarus. As an owner (and avid follower), I'm still not clear on it. The only "control" you have over the new CVT equipped is turning the stability control off. They are heavily computer controlled as you would expect with any E-throttle, automagic these days.

Pretty sure we're assuming the new Subaru manuals are still 50/50 split.

FWIW, my 2012 2.5i EJ has always sounded terrible on a cold start. The tiny Fisher-Price battery makes for a slow crank on real cold starts as well.

Ha, have you never heard of "Genuine Subaru Pistonslap". Impress your neighbors with authentic diesel sounds from a gasoline engine. However this is more common with older 2.5 EJ rather than the new breeds.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Ha, have you never heard of "Genuine Subaru Pistonslap". Impress your neighbors with authentic diesel sounds from a gasoline engine. However this is more common with older 2.5 EJ rather than the new breeds.

Yeah, very aware. Have quite a few Soobs in the family; 1996, 2001, 2005 and two 2012's. All EJ 2.5's aside from the 2012 Forester 2.5 FB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Yeah, very aware. Have quite a few Soobs in the family; 1996, 2001, 2005 and two 2012's. All EJ 2.5's aside from the 2012 Forester 2.5 FB.

Nice. Owned a lot of HG as well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Nice. Owned a lot of HG as well.
smile.gif

Oh yes. I don't dive into them deeply, but I have a brother that can yank a 2.5 EJ in 45min.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back