Bought a 2014 XV Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great looking ride BG!

I have read of some reports of hi revving on cold starts with some newer FB and EJ boxers. My EJ has never done this. I do wish I had the top mount filter on my EJ253, but with the 6-7Kmile OCI I do with my Legacy, the old reach under isn't too bad.. LOL.

Have you gotten used to the CVT? I love mine.

Get the most from a high rev start-up..put the vehicle in motion and then you don't have to press the accelerator pedal. As you proceed a couple of blocks on 'auto accel'..everything warms up fairly uniformly, better for all parts involved.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
One thing I noticed on this car is when you start it up after it has been sitting for a bit it revs and stays at 2 grand on the tach until it gets warm. That's gonna be fun in sub zero temps lol. Sounds really loud at startup as well but have been told that DI engines are like that?

I was going to mention that earlier but didn't want to rain on the new car parade. My neighbor a few doors down just bought a new Impreza. I was very surprised how loud it was on start up and idling. I wonder if a different oil would quiet it down a bit. I thought the noise was from a nearby 90-93 Accord that's kind of loud.

Looks real nice and love that oil filter location.

I think it's boxer engines in general. At least the Subaru ones. We have an '07 Outback with the 2.5L port-injected motor and my mother-in-law has an '11 with the same motor. They're both pretty loud on startup when it's cold out.

That oil filter location is very convenient, but when I saw it a few months ago in the Subaru vehicles I looked at my second thought was that upon removing the filter some oil would drip into the surrounding bowl and carry collected dust and grit straight into the engine. The inner lip didn't seem very deep, but I didn't see one with the filter off to tell for sure.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I believe the Impreza/Crosstrek FB20 is port-injected, not direct-injected

Oops my bad, you are correct!

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Get the most from a high rev start-up..put the vehicle in motion and then you don't have to press the accelerator pedal. As you proceed a couple of blocks on 'auto accel'..everything warms up fairly uniformly, better for all parts involved.

As long as you can pull straight out lol

Originally Posted By: JTK
Great looking ride BG!

I have read of some reports of hi revving on cold starts with some newer FB and EJ boxers. My EJ has never done this. I do wish I had the top mount filter on my EJ253, but with the 6-7Kmile OCI I do with my Legacy, the old reach under isn't too bad.. LOL.

Have you gotten used to the CVT? I love mine.

Yes no issues with the CVT. In fact the last 2 rentals I had were CVTs. An Altima and a Chevy Spark

The Spark was interesting. You really had to watch how you pressed the gas. Too much and it bogged and you ran the risk of getting creamed lol

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
That oil filter location is very convenient, but when I saw it a few months ago in the Subaru vehicles I looked at my second thought was that upon removing the filter some oil would drip into the surrounding bowl and carry collected dust and grit straight into the engine. The inner lip didn't seem very deep, but I didn't see one with the filter off to tell for sure.

I agree. It's possible that dust and grit get into the engine when removing the filter in this vehicle.

Below is a picture of an E430, the cartridge oil filter holder is at bottom right corner of the picture, the oil dipstick tube is at bottom left corner. I can change oil and filter without getting under the car using Mityvac 7201. There is almost no change for dust getting into the engine when removing and installing the filter holder.

CIMG0207-engine-950.jpg

The cup that the filter sits in is not too shallow. I think in order for any grit or stuff to get in the engine it would take something deliberate

I think the cartridge filter on my HHR afforded more of an opportunity for junk to get in there. The Crosstrek spin on filter seems less prone to stuff settling in

Nice ride, I like the XV Crossreks. They're a solid, utilitarian vehicle with among the best passenger car AWD systems.
thumbsup2.gif
Winter tires and you'll be unstoppable in the winter.

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

My wife and I have one on order. We opted to get the MT and they seem pretty rare which is why we had to order one. Can't wait to get it!

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

My wife and I have one on order. We opted to get the MT and they seem pretty rare which is why we had to order one. Can't wait to get it!

It is my understanding with the MT you get a true 50/50 split with the 4 wheel drive system.
(equal power to all 4 wheels?)

Correct. It uses a viscous center differential. While it is viscous, on my '09 (manual trans) it's tight enough that if you turn the wheels close to full lock you can feel some tendency to bind, and on recently sealed blacktop the tires will chatter a bit.

Originally Posted By: LC
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

It is my understanding with the MT you get a true 50/50 split with the 4 wheel drive system.
(equal power to all 4 wheels?)

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
....and, I remember when you had the Chevy HHR! On the Soob, keep an eye on the oil consumption. More of an issue with some Subaru FB25's (the 2.5 liter) than the 2.0 direct-inject mill, but I'd still check the dipstick often until she sorts out her break-in.

Will do, thanks for the heads up. One thing I noticed on this car is when you start it up after it has been sitting for a bit it revs and stays at 2 grand on the tach until it gets warm. That's gonna be fun in sub zero temps lol. Sounds really loud at startup as well but have been told that DI engines are like that?

Yeah the HHR. For as bad a rap as it gets sometimes it was not a bad car at all. I actually wish I hung onto it sometimes.

That seems to be normal for a lot of vehicles.

My 2011 Focus will race up to 2000 RPM when cold. If I start to move at all and press in the clutch, it will idle at 2500. I live on a hill and coast down it because it's impossible to shift a manual trans on a cold morning when the engine refuses to be below 2000RPM!

But the manufacturers do it to warm up the catalyst quicker.

It's not too loud on my Focus, but my dad's F350 with rusted out exhaust will wake the dead when it decides to idle at 2000RPM!

My parents 2013 Focuscape 2.0 Turbo does not do it. Seems like some engines are able to warm up without the stupid fast idle.

Love the color! Hopefully the oil burning issues are fixed with the new rings. Does it have a recent build date?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Love the color! Hopefully the oil burning issues are fixed with the new rings. Does it have a recent build date?

-Dennis

8/13 Build date

mpg has been right about 30-31 mpg after 850 miles or so on the clock. Not bad for a new engine

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
....and, I remember when you had the Chevy HHR! On the Soob, keep an eye on the oil consumption. More of an issue with some Subaru FB25's (the 2.5 liter) than the 2.0 direct-inject mill, but I'd still check the dipstick often until she sorts out her break-in.

Will do, thanks for the heads up. One thing I noticed on this car is when you start it up after it has been sitting for a bit it revs and stays at 2 grand on the tach until it gets warm. That's gonna be fun in sub zero temps lol. Sounds really loud at startup as well but have been told that DI engines are like that?

Yeah the HHR. For as bad a rap as it gets sometimes it was not a bad car at all. I actually wish I hung onto it sometimes.

That seems to be normal for a lot of vehicles.

My 2011 Focus will race up to 2000 RPM when cold. If I start to move at all and press in the clutch, it will idle at 2500. I live on a hill and coast down it because it's impossible to shift a manual trans on a cold morning when the engine refuses to be below 2000RPM!

But the manufacturers do it to warm up the catalyst quicker.

It's not too loud on my Focus, but my dad's F350 with rusted out exhaust will wake the dead when it decides to idle at 2000RPM!

My parents 2013 Focuscape 2.0 Turbo does not do it. Seems like some engines are able to warm up without the stupid fast idle.

Actually many DI engines have part throttle fueling issues, I'm sure cold weather/cold engine means they are even worse.

But even my new 6.0 fleet van fires up in 80 degree weather at 13-14 hundred rpm.

There is some sort of extra valve to "tumble" the mixture on cold starts. This is what causes the racket on startup. Also this engine is not direct injected, which would make extra noise alla da time! Have 10k on my XV with CVT and the mileage and performance improve significantly with miles. Nicest part of top, inverted oil filter is that you could change the filter more often and not replace the oil. I'm not advocating longer time in the crankcase for the oil, just that if you put in a decent 100% synthetic then why not change the filter in the middle of it's life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back