Bought a 2011 Subaru WRX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I finally went and did it. Ever since it became my only car, I'd been wanting to replace my 2007 Civic coupe with something more fun. I looked at a variety of cars over the last few years years and got fairly close to pulling the trigger a couple of times but never did. Last weekend I put my money where my mouth is and did it! My wife has been encouraging me and is going to be quite happy not to have to hear me talking about this anymore!

I bought a 2011 WRX 5 door. It had been between this and the new Mustang, and the WRX won out due to a combination of functionality (I love hatchbacks) and price. Last weekend I noticed that my local dealer had one in stock and went to check it out. Ended up test driving it, thought about it overnight, went back the next day to check it out again and ended up buying it. It was almost exactly what I would've ordered had I ordered one - base model with the factory short throw shift kit, in dark gray (I had a tough time picking between the dark gray and the Subaru classic blue color but decided the gray was better for me given it stands out less).

Love the car so far. It's got a much more mechanical feel than the Civic all around. I love the shift action, and it's nice having a car again where you can feel that the shifter is connected to spinning gears by way of the slight powertrain vibrations that come up through the stick. Not to mention the practical side -- the seat fabric is easier to clean and having rear doors for the dog was very nice this past week.

Plenty of power, but I'm trying to hold myself back for the break in period -- the manual recommends keeping it under 4000 RPM for the first thousand miles. I haven't stuck to that religiously (had to test it out on the test drive, and I wasn't the only one to test drive it anyway -- I'm sure it got plenty hammered) but I'm trying to in general. I'm about halfway there and will be past the 1k mark next weekend after I visit a friend out of town. I can't wait -- under 4000 is tough in this car given the boost only really comes on starting at 3000-3500 .. the car is more a revver than a stump puller and it revs very smoothly. Feels and sounds much happier over 3000 than the Civic did. Well, of course it sounds better all through the rev range because it's got that great boxer engine burble w/ its unequal length headers.

The best part is that it handles quite neutrally. Give it some power going through a corner and it holds the line while accelerating. Being able to accelerate through corners without fighting the car is one of the things I missed while driving a FWD vehicle and is why the WRX was the only hot hatch I serious considered.

Since this is BITOG: First night home I checked the oil in the engine and the transmission (yes, this car actually has a manual transmission dipstick!) and all was well
smile.gif
. OCI recommendation is 7500 miles on 5w-30 synthetic, and I don't recall seeing a shorter interval for severe service though I might've just missed it. I will probably change the factory engine oil out at 2000 miles or so, and then go 5-6k from there on out. Complicating matters a little is that the car comes with free maintenance for 24000 miles -- but that just covers 7500 mile oil changes. Free is tempting but I don't think I want to stretch it that far right off, and in any case I've never actually taken a car somewhere for an oil change before. Maybe I'll do the transmission and differential at 10k or so, I don't know yet.

I took some pics but the photo host I use seems to be having some problems right now, so I'll post them later.

If you're looking for oil recommendations for that engine go on over to NASIOC and see what's recommended.

Two very good choices are Rotella T6 5w-40 and Mobil 1 0w-40. I'd go for whichever is cheapest.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Did you get the shift knob? Here they remove it so the kids won't steal it. Test drove one with a friend and had to shift with the knobless stick.
lol.gif

Yeah it's got the shift knob. Just a plain old leather knob with a 5 speed pattern on it.

Pics as promised:
DSC_0442.jpg

The hood scoop is not decorative, it goes straight to the intercooler and also seems to route air over the turbocharger:
DSC_0436.jpg

I've always been a sucker for quad exhaust outlets, even if it's not a real dual exhaust:
DSC_0438.jpg

A couple of the interior:
DSC_0446.jpg

DSC_0447.jpg

Instrument cluster. Tach is in the center, where it belongs:
DSC_0451.jpg

And an engine bay shot:
DSC_0439.jpg

I would take this over a Mustang any day, I wouldn't regret your choice one bit... sweet car!!!

I would run m1 0w40 religiously on this car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy a WRX over a Mustang any day of the week. It looks sharp, and I really like the 5 door better than the sedan.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Congrats! Just remember, you could have had 412 hp...

Nice car, though!

Sounds great, except for when you have to fill it..
The reason I don't have a Civic SI. (premium fuel and worse MPG)

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Congrats! Just remember, you could have had 412 hp...

Nice car, though!

Sounds great, except for when you have to fill it..
The reason I don't have a Civic SI. (premium fuel and worse MPG)

Does the WRX get any better fuel economy?

OP: Nice car BTW, really like the colour!

I would have gone Mustang in a heart-beat, but to each their own. I'm sure you'll have a blast in it regardless!

just curious how long you see yourself keeping this car. If only 3-5 years. Then just do the free oil changes. If you are gonna shoot for 100K plus, then do what you had planned with dumping the factory fill at 2K and running what you please. JMHO

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I would have gone Mustang in a heart-beat, but to each their own. I'm sure you'll have a blast in it regardless!

This

Congrats on your WRX..Nice color.

I really don't think the Mustang and WRX can really be compared, even if they are often cross-shopped. One is a RWD coupe/convertible and one is an AWD hatch. Each will be optimized for certain situations and both will be compromises in others.

OP, congratulations on your new car. That's a real nice piece. Got any plans for modifications? I love how a Subaru boxer engine sounds with an aftermarket exhaust.

So, when are you going to bury that speedo? I think it will go past 140mph.

What is the predicted reliability of WRX? Is this engine known for eating head gaskets?

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Does the WRX get any better fuel economy?

OP: Nice car BTW, really like the colour!

No, I'm not expecting that this will get any better (or worse) FE than a Mustang in daily driving. The EPA highway ratings are the same, city favors the WRX a bit (it's 3-400 lbs lighter). Since the WRX builds boost pretty high I think it'll actually be pretty easy to drive it for decent FE at times -- just as easy as it'd be to drive a Mustang that way anyway. Technically easy I mean, self control might be another thing
smile.gif

TBH, if we didn't have a dog, I probably would've gone w/ the Mustang (eventually). But I really do value utility in a vehicle and that pushed me over the edge. The insurance is also MUCH cheaper on this, believe it or not, which is icing on the cake. The WRX *is* a compromise in that I would've rather had a RWD vehicle all things being equal, but I love hatchbacks, and to replace the Civic (which was perfectly good) I had to get an upgrade in more than just power/handling. Once I felt the boost and cornering neutrality in the WRX, my conclusion was that this car's AWD system provides the cornering feel that I missed. I was never actually looking to do burnouts or kick the rear all the way out.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
just curious how long you see yourself keeping this car. If only 3-5 years. Then just do the free oil changes. If you are gonna shoot for 100K plus, then do what you had planned with dumping the factory fill at 2K and running what you please. JMHO

Good question. As part of my bargain w/ myself buying another brand new car, I'd like to think I'll keep this one for a good long time.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

OP, congratulations on your new car. That's a real nice piece. Got any plans for modifications? I love how a Subaru boxer engine sounds with an aftermarket exhaust.

No plans yet but I think it's gonna be tempting down the road.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
So, when are you going to bury that speedo? I think it will go past 140mph.

What is the predicted reliability of WRX? Is this engine known for eating head gaskets?

- Vikas

Hah! Yeah it would probably go past 140. I'm not much of a speeder to be honest, I just like the acceleration. Maybe eventually I'll see if I can convince some friends to go for a track day and see what it can do.

The head gasket problems supposedly have been resolved as of several years ago. I'm not aware of any known serious reliability problems with the current setup. Although it's seen its first hiccup already -- one of the blinker bulbs is dim causing the indicator in the cabin to blink rapidly like it's burned out. From reading online it's a known problem that's either caused by a bad bulb, or the wiring harness to the light needs to be rerouted a bit (10 min job so I hear). Annoying but not a big deal. Going to see if I can get that taken care of early this week. Was tempted to just do it myself, but that's what the warranty is for.

Nice choice, it's actually a lot of car for the money, IMO.

Plus it's a proven performer with good service history. The Mustang Coyote is too new to tell yet.

You'll like it even better when it rains.

Just beware wicking up the boost much. We have some really hot Subies here that run great but they are always swapping in a motor or some such major repair because they have the waste gate screwed shut! The drivetrain seems nearly indestructible, though.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back