Bought a 2005 Toyota Corolla

I do let customers know of potential issues, but ONLY if a problem is starting to show its head.
Even if something is a known weak point on an engine, if at the time of the visit it is functioning correctly, I’m not going to worry the customer that it may develop an issue - it could just as easily never become an issue. Stressing people out that something MAY happen, no matter how likely, helps no one.
The oil seep may be worth doing, as it IS leaking, and it could become worse. Perfectly functioning injectors? Leave them be!
All of this debate is pointless - if your sister is happy and has peace of mind with the car, that is what counts.

I remember seeing one of the car shows call the Corolla "the car you tell your sister to buy." I did a bunch of stuff to my "sister's" 98 Camry before she drove it to move to NC. She ended up selling it, but at least it got her there.

Even if something is a known weak point on an engine, if at the time of the visit it is functioning correctly, I’m not going to worry the customer that it may develop an issue - it could just as easily never become an issue. Stressing people out that something MAY happen, no matter how likely, helps no one.
On some things, once it happens, it is too late or too large of a financial consequence. Just ask people with EA888 timing chain issues or older bmw cooling systems.

I have been making progress on the Corolla’s reconditioning.

After smog, the first stop was a new battery. Yes, I swapped it in the Costco parking lot to avoid having to make a second trip for the core return:
C0C8DC9F-D10B-4D47-BD44-5015098E6551.jpeg

Then it was time for new tires at America’s Tire:

7CD0438B-F890-4D98-AA87-303D0740C9D2.jpeg

Next I pulled the injectors and had them serviced. Supposedly they were a “3 or 4” in terms of dirtiness and I should see a 8% improvement in flow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

19A9D5A2-E76C-455C-8E6D-98E29FF32A0B.jpeg

I am currently in the process of resealing the timing cover. I forgot how easy these cars are to work on compared to the newer 4-cyls. It is like working on a classic. 🤣

Some minor seepage and dirt build-up:
CEE27787-E919-40C2-946A-EBB2BB51D9B6.jpeg

Preliminary cleaning done:
590964A6-E071-43D4-A0B9-1DBD2FC14278.jpeg

Engine internals look quite clean:
BDDA2215-6A83-48F0-AB48-AB8C2830F76E.jpeg

A6E08F43-7ABB-4DEE-BE70-C52D0069A37B.jpeg

Since this cover is relatively easy to reseal, I am going to try an experiment. I will only clean the sealing surfaces using a plastic razor and chemical gasket remover (ZC-30-A) and see how well the rtv holds up. Usually this approach result in leaving behind some “rtv staining” so it will be interesting to see if it affects the longevity of the reseal.

I have been making progress on the Corolla’s reconditioning.

After smog, the first stop was a new battery. Yes, I swapped it in the Costco parking lot to avoid having to make a second trip for the core return:
View attachment 83615

Then it was time for new tires at America’s Tire:

View attachment 83616

Next I pulled the injectors and had them serviced. Supposedly they were a “3 or 4” in terms of dirtiness and I should see a 8% improvement in flow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 83617

I am currently in the process of resealing the timing cover. I forgot how easy these cars are to work on compared to the newer 4-cyls. It is like working on a classic. 🤣

Some minor seepage and dirt build-up:
View attachment 83618

Preliminary cleaning done:
View attachment 83619

Engine internals look quite clean:
View attachment 83620
View attachment 83621
Since this cover is relatively easy to reseal, I am going to try an experiment. I will only clean the sealing surfaces using a plastic razor and chemical gasket remover (ZC-30-A) and see how well the rtv holds up. Usually this approach result in leaving behind some “rtv staining” so it will be interesting to see if it affects the longevity of the reseal.
Solid choice on a Gen9 Corolla - that car will last your sister a very very long time! Mine’s been in the family since day 1 and has been stellar in terms of reliability.

You’re a brave man venturing into the timing cover reseal project. I haven’t touched it on mine yet. Are you planning to adjust the rear drums on it before giving it your sister?

E0E578ED-FBBE-433D-8691-22C0D1B3208D.jpeg

Gave the timing cover and valve covers a light clean-up in the parts washer.

8FDEE67C-8E5D-45AE-89C4-FF8A1290C471.jpeg

31F25470-089B-464C-A4EF-E3BE4E94A0F5.jpeg

Also found that someone had bent the valve cover baffle (probably from jamming in a bulk oil dispenser gun), so I went ahead ”fixed” that too.

Technically, my sister did. But the car is mine until reconditioning is complete.

It is a 2005 CE with 140K miles. Paid $3K.

My sister lives in the city and needed an inexpensive car for weekend errands. Her plan is to keep the car for a few years and upgrade to something newer. :rolleyes:

This Corolla was purchased from a friend of mine. It was their family's spare car for 3.5 years and was no longer needed. They only drove it for 15k miles for the duration of their ownership.

When my friend's family purchased this car in 2018, they had me bring all maintenance up-to-date. I also worked on it a few times over the last few years. According to my records, it received the following work over the last few years:

4/2018, 125K - ATF Flush (Amsoil SS), Brake Fluid Flush, Spark Plugs, Drive Belt, Coolant Service, Reboot Passenger Side Axle, VCG, Air/Cabin Filters, Timing Chain Tensioner O-Ring, HLR, Intake Manifold Gasket, Radiator Cap and 1 caliper.
8/2018 - Front Pads (OE) and A/M Rotors, Rear Shoes (OE) and A/M drums
3/2019, 132K - A/M Front Lower Control Arms and Alignment

Mechanically, the car is in decent shape. Cosmetically, it is a bit below average, mainly because of the paint that is starting to fail on the roof.

My sister wants this car to be reliable for the next few years. She also plans to take some semi-long trips with it. After inspecting the car and with those goals in mind, she has agreed to move forward with the following items:

- Oil and Filter Change w/HPL Engine Cleaner
- Installed a new Kirkland 35 AGM Battery
- Installed 4 new Michelin Defender T+H tires
- Replaced Engine and Cabin Air Filters
- Replaced Wiper Blades
- Removed the fuel injectors for bench cleaning (clogged injectors are an issue on high-mileage 1ZZ-FE engines)
- Perform a Headlight Restoration
- Perform a Brake Fluid Flush
- Perform a Power Steering Fluid Flush
- Replace a failed Exhaust Donut Gasket (manifold to cat converter connection)
- Clean the Throttle Body and Replace Gasket
- Reseal the Timing Cover due to light seepage at the timing cover to cylinder head "t-joint." Will also replace the crank seal, VCG and timing chain tensioner o-ring in conjunction with the repair.
- Replace the Water Pump and Thermostat using OEM parts
- Replace the Radiator and Radiator Hoses using A/M parts
- Install a Sony XAV-AX150 Stereo and Boyo Back-Up Camera; @nthach will be helping me with this
- Install a new set of factory carpeted floor mats

Total investment will be $1650.

For $4650 (plus taxes and registration fees), I think this car should serve her well for a few years. When she is done with it, she should still be able to recoup most of her investment.

Here are some pictures of the car after a preliminary wash and vacuum to triage its condition. At some point it will receive a full interior detail:
View attachment 83283
View attachment 83287

View attachment 83284
View attachment 83288
View attachment 83285
Very nice. You did well that car will take you to 280k miles

All cleaned up using “non-abrasive methods”

7837B70D-519B-4339-A654-65AE17518992.jpeg

On the engine side, I also ran a bead on the two cyl-head to block gaps, since that is where they always leak. I tried to stay as close to 3.5mm as possible but I won’t win any awards for steady hands. 👀

88BF4EDD-C2BB-4EEF-9779-FDCB7C5EF931.jpeg

All done, but Ford Boss Me will probably say I didn’t use enough sealant.
6EDDE0DE-D196-4166-8656-F08568D0CDCB.jpeg

C49E07E6-C0E6-4B8D-A2F6-29FCA39046C3.jpeg

11729DDB-BA50-4F7D-AF99-100F7E647936.jpeg

Personally this seems like a lot of extra work and expense on a car this old where any accident will cause this vehicle to be a write off. I would just fix what needs to be fixed when needed.

Personally this seems like a lot of extra work and expense on a car this old where any accident will cause this vehicle to be a write off. I would just fix what needs to be fixed when needed.
That could happen, but I got dibbs on it for my twin grand nieces in a year or so. Probably guranateed to be totaled out soon afterwards...
Plus, @The Critic is doing it for his sister. All good.

That is what happened to my daughters 2005 Toyota Matrix. She bought it in 2010 with 50,000 km on it. I went through every maintenance item I could do. Two years later she flipped the car on black ice going to work and it was a write off. She has back issues to this day from the accident.

In total, the timing cover reseal and cooling system refresh totaled ~$200. Arguably, this was probably the most "labor intensive" part of the job and seems to be the most hotly debated items of the proposed reconditioning.

The bulk of the reconditioning expense was from new tires, AGM battery and sending out the injectors to be cleaned.

That is what happened to my daughters 2005 Toyota Matrix. She bought it in 2010 with 50,000 km on it. I went through every maintenance item I could do. Two years later she flipped the car on black ice going to work and it was a write off. She has back issues to this day from the accident.
I picked up a 2005 (?) CR-V almost 5 years ago for my twin grand nieces. I got it cheap but put some $$ into it; the biggest being new AC components. The car was going to Arlington, TX. And shipping from Silicon Valley to TX.... I was maybe $10K all in.

You guessed it. Within a year one of them ran a red and got t-boned, totaling the perfect CR-V. They did get insurance but ended up with a beater Corolla...

So I am cheering @The Critic to make this Corolla perfect. My hope is this will be the younger twin's 1st car. Fingers crossed... Ha!

Since I am still waiting for the radiator hoses, belt tensioner and bolt to arrive, I decided to start tackling the interior.

I tried cleaning the interior carpet with Optimum Power Clean (5:1), a drill brush and extractor, but my extractor just isn’t powerful enough to rinse out all of the APC. I think there is a high likelihood of rapid re-soiling or browning.

Thinking about removing the carpet pressure washing it. But it will be in the 50's and cloudy for the next few days and I don't want to start a mold problem. As an alternative I can have my carpet guy come by in his van and hot-water extract everything, but that will cost me $$. Thoughts?

472C69C8-8A29-498C-BE0C-20147747E56B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back