Bought a '00 Saturn SL2, 36k "Creampuff"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it not quite cold there ? That wouldn't help the m.p.g.. I think we're getting that cold front as of now and the next few days .
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
Nice pickup indeed. I wanna see pics of the engine bay.

Ok, if you wanna see the engine bay, here it is before I clean it good in a month or so...

s6rsxz.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I like how accessible the A/C compressor is.

The alternator makes up for it.

Very very cool.
I had a 1996 Saturn SL. In that gold/pewter color.
It was a stick. Loved the car.
I drove it to 150,000 or so with no issues.
The only thing I did was tires, brakes, starter.
It was still shiny. The only reason I replaced it was to get my 2003 Trailblazer- I needed more space.

Hey, here's an update:

Got 2,200 miles on the 5w-30 PU. Just checked the oil level and the oil is right on the upper full line, exactly where I filled it to.

This Saturn DOHC is a total non-oil burner!
banana2.gif

Stop granny shiftin', drive it like a rental
thumbsup2.gif

Ha-Ha! Ya know, I was going to edit it and say the driving style.

I rev this engine up to 5000-6200 on a 6500 redline about every 50-70 miles - only when fully warmed up. 60% 70-80 MPH freeway driving with a 3000RPM average. So, she gets a good workout.
smile.gif

Can't believe it hasn't burned "any"! Wouldn't you think it would be down at least 1/5th of a quart?

I'm surprised it hasn't burned a drop. All of my cars burn at least 1/4th - half a quart per OCIs. The ones i service regularly (a good 30-40 cars) also never come to me with the oil level at the top dot, where i originally filled it.

I've never owned or worked on a vehicle that didn't remain "full" on the dipstick for the entire OCI. And some of them would mysteriously drain less oil than I put in. I've never been able to figure out why it never moves on the dipstick.

I've ran into several that did not burn any oil.

Anyway, I believe this is a testament to the PO (Bless her Soul) doing 20 oil changes in 33k miles. I would bet $100 that if I bought the car with cheap dino & fram extended way out it would burn oil. Like most every other Saturn.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I've never owned or worked on a vehicle that didn't remain "full" on the dipstick for the entire OCI. And some of them would mysteriously drain less oil than I put in. I've never been able to figure out why it never moves on the dipstick.

My Corvette is like this. For the first couple of years I owned it I thought it did not use any oil because the level on the dipstick never moved, but when I started measuring how much oil came out at oil change time, I would notice it was down a quart. So I don't trust dipsticks at all.

Do you honestly think that if an engine holds 5 quarts that all five should be draining out during an OC?

Do you honestly think that if an engine holds 5 quarts that all five should be draining out during an OC?

Yes. Otherwise you imply that oil slowly builds up in the crankcase over many OCI's. Oil in should equal oil out unless there's leaking or burning. It's silly to think otherwise.

Ok, I finally just put in 3-4 ounces of oil in 3,000 miles to bring it to the exact same full line again on the Saturn.

Shame on it!
spankme2.gif
lol.gif

Every single person I know that bought a very low mileage car [like a 12 year old car with 36K miles on it] had nothing but trouble with it..In the first 3 months without fail the complete a/c would give out..Not good in Miami jungle heat all year..Then the ATF would go out on top of all the other little and big things..Some cars even had service records.

I recently took my friends kid shopping a low mileage used car as his father did not want be botherd as they do not get along very well..His budget was 3K bucks tops..Every low mileage [there were only a few 10-12 year old cars with low mileage] car we looked at had some sludge and a lot of other things wrong with it..He finally ended up buying a used 06 owner operated taxi for 900 bucks..It has almost 300K miles on it..He figures if he get 2 months out of it it is worth it as renting a decent car would run around 1200 bucks a month..He puts on about 100 miles a day [mostly highway for the most part when there are no wrecks on the road] driving to and from work.

The car came with service records..It was serviced every 3-5K miles..Most of the work was done at the dealer..Everything works..Even the a/c system was replaced by Ford and is ice cold..A lot of things were replaced by the dealer.

You were VERY lucky to find that Saturn..You DEFINITELY found a needle in haystack for sure..That car is in awesome condition..You did much a million times better anyone I know.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

You were VERY lucky to find that Saturn..You DEFINITELY found a needle in haystack for sure..That car is in awesome condition..You did much a million times better anyone I know.

Oh thank you so much. Did a very thorough exam before I bought it & was happy a couple things were already replaced.

Was floored to see extreme cleanliness in the fill hole, under the PCV Valve & NO varnish/burn marks on the dipstick before I bought it.

I didn't compile all the oil changes until after I got home & was amazed. 20 OCI's in 33k miles.
crazy2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Now, with all the Carbon these engines get..... It'll be interesting to see if mine's much less than others that are rarely taken care of, like compared to my last Saturn. I'll remove the tube from the exhaust manifold to the diverter valve to compare to my last Saturn at the same miles.
smile.gif

- I just put a bottle of Techron in the gas, about 2 tanks before I change the (PU + PureOne) oil + filter.

- Occasionally put MMO in the gas.

- Car sees nothing but Top Tier or BP gas.

A BITOG experiment in the making, perhaps?
smile.gif

I personally would have kept the Dex-Cool since it worked fine so far Dex-Cool was never a problem in itself just poor design from GM. However I never saw it as an issue in the Saturns I've maintained. I would however replace the cap on the pressured reservoir as those can leak are back into the system and that will cause a problem.

Nice find though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back