Bought a '00 Saturn SL2, 36k "Creampuff"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Creampuff? That sensor looks like granny flogged it, put it away wet and set the odometer back with a drill motor.

Just kidding. What's the deal with the cracks?

lol.gif

The faulty design's sensor has a polymer end and definitely crack. They then send erroneous data to the PCM and mess up LOTS of engine parameters, including reading the wrong temp & having it run rich. Huge issue on these!

Here's a side-by-side pic:

2zi1s93.jpg

tpitcher,
Although I did scroll through the replys quickly, I still didn't see the price that you paid...What did you pay? More pics as well!

Guys,

To keep things organized on this find, I will use this thread on the condition, maintenance & pics.

So, let's see some pics, starting with the odometer after I put a few hundred on it:

205cr5x.jpg

Now exterior:

Shiny pillars, not sun peeled:

11u9kpy.jpg

6pnh4j.jpg

Shiny mirrors:

2ahuq0l.jpg

bvjux.jpg

Paint:

141mluw.jpg

1zoeu05.jpg

Hope this helps you get the picture.
smile.gif

Great lookin' S-series there.
And definitely a good score. I'd have a hard time not buying something like that, its just unreal how low the miles are.

I changed the original, cracked, polymer ECTS this early morning and
here's a fully warmed up pic of the Temp needle in the position you
do not want to see it in (it was also in this position before the new ECTS:

14aenhy.jpg

Then, I flushed out the original Dex-cool, installed a new Stant 14279 Thermostat
and filled with green antifreeze.

Here is a picture a couple hours later with the green anti-freeze & new Stant.
This is the position you want to see it in, the fully warmed up engine operating
at the temperature it is intended to.

21erlli.jpg

Amazing find. I used to have a 97 SC2 back in the day... loved that car! I'd also have a hard time not buying the one you found if I stumbled upon it. I've subscribed to this thread to keep track.

could you please post some other interior pics and also some under the hood?
cool.gif
grin.gif

TP, out of curiosity, where did this lady live? My grandfathers neighbor across the street, Ms Cramer passed away on new years eve, and I thought she had a saturn. This was in ohio, she was in her 80s definitely. I'll miss her, she was a sweet old lady.

Last edited:
Ok, here's an update!

Changed out the AC Delco oil & filter and put in Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 & PureOne Extended Length PL20195 filter.

Sent out a mid-stream sample to Blackstone yesterday morning, to establish a "baseline" UOA.

Once I get 4-5k miles on the Ultra, I'll send that for an UOA also.

Also did the 2nd PS Fluid TB suckout & put in Amsoil ATF.

This Twin Cam engine runs real nice with only 37k on it.

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
More Pics!! I bet you smile every time you look at the car, don't you??
smile.gif

Ok, here ya go with a pic before I waxed it. She really shines now, as it rarely seen sunlight.

n2fwv4.jpg

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Love it!

Yea, now ya know why I call it "Creampuff", not only the condition of the Craigslist find, but the color.
smile.gif

I can't see it for the shading. But look under your front bumper. Is the 2" tall air deflector plastic flap still intact? 90% of these get ripped up on curbs. I take the presence of one of these as a sure sign of creamed puffiness.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I can't see it for the shading. But look under your front bumper. Is the 2" tall air deflector plastic flap still intact? 90% of these get ripped up on curbs. I take the presence of one of these as a sure sign of creamed puffiness.
lol.gif

One of the 1st things I looked at. Checked it out again when putting in PU.

It's all intact!
banana2.gif
lol.gif

How about some under the hood shots and a full dash pic - as the driver sees it??

These have the spin on tranny filter correct??

Gotta say you hit the jackpot . I'd take that car over many new cars . We especially like the SL 2 wagon . A relative has the Saturn wagon with the 6 cylinder and has been fine so far . Think he picked it up for $1,500 . Enjoy and please keep us updated on gas mileage , etc..

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
How about some under the hood shots and a full dash pic - as the driver sees it??

These have the spin on tranny filter correct??

Sure, I'll get a couple more shots soon.

Yes, it has a spin-on Tranny filter.
banana2.gif
Bought a NAPA Gold that I'll spin on soon.
grin.gif

Gas Mileage: After NGK plugs & Amsoil PI run, (but BEFORE the PU) in 70% Suburbs, 30% hi-way, I got 33.6 MPG
with the Twin Cam & Auto-tragic. My SOHC & 5 speed in similar conditions got about 35-36 MPG.

So, not too bad MPG's... Can't wait to get it out on the open road to see what it'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back