Brake Pads - 88.4k - 96 Saturn SL2 Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0040copy.jpg

IMG_0043copy.jpg

IMG_0045copy.jpg

Those are the original brake pads from my 96 Saturn SL2 after 88,400 miles. The car was used for mostly city driving consisting of 1-2 mile trips.

They're in the trash can.
grin.gif

You have until Tuesday to go dumpster diving.
shocked.gif

So that's like one third or so of usable pad thickness left?

Where are the pics of you installing new pads and rotors?

They measured 1/8" on the inboard side (actually might've been outboard, I don't remember), so was it time for replacement?

My dad took the car in and had the brakes changed because he thought they were worn out. This was back in Feb 04...I'm at 101,300 now.

That's only 1/8"? How puny are those pads and backing plates?
shocked.gif

Yeah, 1/8" is probably about the limit.

Well I changed the pads on my BMW to PBR deluxe plus this weekend.

On the left is the factory pad at around 36k miles, and on the right, the PBR replacement. It struck me as unusual how thick the BMW pads are. The replacement measured in at .515" of pad material, and the 36k mile factory pads were at .157" of pad material (and nowhere near the pad wear sensors).

DSC01377.jpg

These brake pads seem to have a little less bite than factory (10% maybe) but absolutely no dust. They were changed to eliminate that twice-weekly ritual of cleaning the black dust off my rims. I'm pretty pleased so far.

do like me and always get pads from the junkyard!! I have never turned any of my drums or rotors.I have found some very good ones,one time a brand new set!! car is a 96 saturn w/207,xxx miles

Quote:

do like me and always get pads from the junkyard!!

Wow I can't believe noone grabbed those ahead of you.
smirk.gif

I drive a couple saturns myself and they take forever to use up a $19 set of pads... saving gas means anticipatory driving and rare use of the middle pedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back