Bought a '00 Saturn SL2, 36k "Creampuff"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG I found a Creampuff on Craigslist on 1/2/12!

89 year old original owner Lady passed away and her Son was selling it. Only went to Church, store, hairdresser & saturn dealership for ALL maintenance.

Info:

Garaged all the time 2000 SL2, Light Gold with 2 tone brown cloth seats. Cruise, Traction Control, AC, PW, PL, Power Sunroof that's in pristine condition. Paint, seals, rubbers are like brand new!!

No road chips, no door dings, quality car washes as I see no fine scratches like you see around the Sun's reflection on most cars. It GLOWS!

NEVER SEEN SNOW - she stayed home! Almost no rust underneath!

What's been done (ALL at the Saturn Dealer, I have every receipt)

"20" Oil changes in 33k miles (Avg. 1 every 1650 miles).
shocked.gif

Oil & Filter changes every 6 months at: 1270, 2036, 2347, 4421, 5988, 7527, 8864, 11269, 12502, 14653, 16257, 19403, 21637, 22447, 25490, 26625, 27629, 29181, 30415, 31796, 33079, and 33080 miles. Last 2 the car sat for a year, so 2 oil changed within 1 mile.

- 12,000 & 18,000 mile services done.

- Fuel filter & Air Filter changed 2 times.

- Rear Wheel Cylinders, Injector Cleaning, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Battery & cables, Water Pump (YAY!), Intake Manifold Gasket (YAY!).

What I just did:

- Amsoil PI full bottle - 1/2 tank into it.

- Cleaned the PCV

- Spark Plugs: Original, so new NGK's in 2 days ago.

What's planned next:

- Oil & Filter: After 1 tank of Redline is done - Pennzoil & PureOne Ext. Length.

- ECTS: Original from 2000 & needle sits barely 1 needle width above 1/4, so new ECTS this weekend!

- Plug Wires: Are Original.

- Auto Trans: Original fluid, may go to Amsoil Synthetic soon.

- Coolant/Thermostat: Both original. Dexcool, so out that goes and in a new Stant also this weekend.

- Brake Fluid

Anything else soon?

Could be an interesting experiment in keeping the oil burning at zero.

What do you think?

What would you do if you had this?

great find!!...good for you!

20 oil changes in 33k...just another reminder of how much oil has been and continues to be wasted in this oil crazy country.

I know nothing about these cars, sounds like you have a good plan.

enjoy
smile.gif

I would run pennzoil ultra in this. with the frequent oil changes and low mileage, it might not have coked up rings yet! A synthetic SN oil might keep it from using oil!

Originally Posted By: Rand
pictures and price or it didnt happen
smile.gif

lol.gif
Got called to dinner.
smile.gif

Here's a "Front & Center" pic until I can be home in daylight:

That's the reflection of me in the badge taking the pic:

4vimmb.jpg

Given the oil consumption Saturns are notorious for, she didn't waste oil at all.

Sounds like a great deal...maybe the rings won't coke up with all the fresh oil all it's life. Going forward with PU and shorter intervals (5k?) could be your best bet.

And yes, pix would make it more credible
wink.gif

I shined a strong spot flashlight down the fill hole and it was spotless.

Shined it down each spark plug hole and all piston tops are super clean. Also in the PCV hole - bright metal!

It burns NO OIL. Since she had Cancer, the current oil has 3800 on it. The oil level is sitting on the "L" above the "Full" line.

Was going to use PYB, but I have 3 cases of Formula Shell in my stash I was considering using.

Hummm, experiments galore are swirling in my head.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Was it ever parked on top of a house?
lol.gif

Congrats.

lol.gif

I expected more from you on this, fellow Saturn owner...
wink.gif

That's awesome Pitch! I tell you, Craigslist is the place to find those one owner cream puffs with all maintenance records. That's how I got my Corolla.

You have all the bases covered. Hopefully some idiot in an SUV doesn't take this one out as well.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Shined it down each spark plug hole and all piston tops are super clean. Also in the PCV hole - bright metal!

It burns NO OIL. Since she had Cancer, the current oil has 3800 on it. The oil level is sitting on the "L" above the "Full" line.

Was going to use PYB, but I have 3 cases of Formula Shell in my stash I was considering using.

smile.gif

Man! if it burns no oil, i would definatly use a syn Sn oil! I would use the pennzoil ultra and hope the rings never do coke up.

Oh, tires are brand new within 3k miles.

Interior is incredible. Headliner is super tight. Sunroof & rubbers are like brand new being garaged all the time.

Trunk is almost unused.

crazy2.gif
!!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

smile.gif

See if the LS2 in your Goat will fit in it.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Wasn't your last one a 5 speed? Wonder how the fuel mileage will compare since it's an automatic.

Yes! Old one was a 5 speed with the SOHC. This has an Auto with DOHC.

Transmission: Original oil smells terrific & bright Red. Shifts SOLID in all gears & NO reverse slam.

Plan is to drain & fill with Amsoil ATF & spin on a Wix Filter this weekend.

In shock guys.
smile.gif

There might be fuel and moisture in the oil as is common with short trippers - masking the oil consumption. But it is a low mileage engine after all, it might not burn oil.

Last edited:

BLASPHEMY!!! LIGHT IT ON FIRE!!
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back