Bought 4 New Auto Zone Gold Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 4 Auto Zone Duralast Gold batteries for all the vehicles in my family that had batteries over 4 years old I liked their cca's and could not beat the wholesale price either..Plus a 3 year warranty. I looked at the Costco Interstate batteries but they did not have the cca's the Duralast Gold has but they had a slightly better warranty (42 months).. I had good luck with Duralast Gold Batteries in the past i hope they are still built well. Anyone have any input?

I have had very good luck with them in the past in other vehicles. I have a 6-year-old Kirkland in my Jeep right now and will most likely go with a Duralast gold when this one dies.

My understanding is that to get more CCA's, they have to make the plates closer to each other, so they are usually easier to sulfate because of that.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
My understanding is that to get more CCA's, they have to make the plates closer to each other, so they are usually easier to sulfate because of that.

I have read similar.
For colder areas, this is fine, but if you're not where it gets real cold (like me) you want a lower CCA to help with battery life. I don't worry about vehicles starting in the cold since I rarely see below freezing for more that 12 hrs 8-12 days a year.

My mom's 2003 Buick Rendezvous ate Duralast Gold batteries every 18 months like clockwork. I'm talking for 10 years. It was my grandparent's car for years before and my grandfather like AutoZone and kept buying them. I'm sure a lot of the factor of the early death was the Phoenix heat and probably the car. Original charging system. A couple times it died just a couple weeks before the warranty expired.

Then last year the battery died (that one actually made it 20 months!) and I replaced it with a Super Start from O'Reillys. Then I checked her oil a week later and noticed the battery shifted and the power steering pump pulley was starting to eat a hole in the side of the battery.

The shape of the battery at the bottom, where the block holder clamps down was WAY smaller. The clamp couldn't hold it down. O'Reillys guy said it must be a problem with the car/ the holder. It held AutoZone batteries snug for years. Had to return it to a different O'Reillys and bought an autozone battery, fit like a glove.

You've been asking for peoples opinions on batteries for like 3 months. Yea, I have a great memory. It started back in August with 'my daughter is leaving for school and...'. Glad to see you finally bought some batteries. You went straight to AZ? You didn't have some good 'ol boy, I use to own a shop, my brother owns a shop, my battery guy...type of discounts? Just went to the store and bought them? Seems odd for a guy so deep in the industry, a guy who attends engine building seminars and stuff.

Bee Tee Wubs... i only remember all of this cause you're so full of samsquantch.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
You've been asking for peoples opinions on batteries for like 3 months. Yea, I have a great memory. It started back in August with 'my daughter is leaving for school and...'. Glad to see you finally bought some batteries. You went straight to AZ? You didn't have some good 'ol boy, I use to own a shop, my brother owns a shop, my battery guy...type of discounts? Just went to the store and bought them? Seems odd for a guy so deep in the industry, a guy who attends engine building seminars and stuff.

Bee Tee Wubs... i only remember all of this cause you're so full of samsquantch.

Post of the year contender! LOL!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

More CCA needs more plates and more plates needs thinner plates to fit.

Thinner plates don't stand up to heat so in hot climates fewer but thicker plates is better.

I think this is why I've had a problem with my last diehard. For some reason, Sears is selling a North version of my size battery in CA.

I'm just a farmer and I have better connections than this guy... Sigh. Let's just make up family members while we are at it too.

On topic: Reserve capacity is important too if you have lots of auxiliary wiring.

Last edited:
I have had a duralast gold in my equinox for almost 4 years now with zero issues. Didn't skip a beat even when the wind chill was -20F. They are still good batteries. Interstate is also good if you're looking for options

Why pick a fight with crazyoildude? He's a decent contributor. If you think it's a redundant post, read something else.

bvance554 thanks for your input and great memory im honored to have someone so interested in me i never had a stalker or anything like that but thank you for being there.. If you really knew me i had an engine shop Not a battery shop and it seems that Batteries change often. Anyway any input on batteries? HaHa you are funny.. Something useful would be a plus my friend..

Wait i just looked at your profile you claim to be an electrical engineer so you must have some input for us guys that ask about batteries. Oh boy...

Thank you Norman i find these kind of comments that bvance554 posts comical.. Although i did ask a few battery questions recently. Some people think that because i had an engine shop for so many years that i should know everything about every part on a vehicle. He will be having a ball when i start asking about tires because i know less about tires than i do batteries and i will be looking at new tires this week, lol

This is my favorite part of his post when he wrote this: Bee Tee Wubs... (i only remember all of this cause you're so full of samsquantch.)

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I bought 4 Auto Zone Duralast Gold batteries for all the vehicles in my family that had batteries over 4 years old I liked their cca's and could not beat the wholesale price either..Plus a 3 year warranty. I looked at the Costco Interstate batteries but they did not have the cca's the Duralast Gold has but they had a slightly better warranty (42 months).. I had good luck with Duralast Gold Batteries in the past i hope they are still built well. Anyone have any input?

You do not want to shop by CCA. Typically more CCA in same footprint means thinner and/or weaker plates.

Go for CCA that came from factory or a little more.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Replacing perfectly good batteries is a bit well... crazy...

I would rather replace a good battery than come out to find it dead when it's -35 out ...

Love this thread. I already made a purchase decision and replaced perfectly good batteries. What do BITOG members think?

It almost ranks up there with the "bad holes" with burrs on the Fram filters.

Last edited:
ckn they were not perfectly good batteries on one vehicle my housekeeper was vacuuming the rugs and she left the doors open for about 20 minutes and i had to jump it... I know batteries can last a longer time but i have always replaced them at the 4 or at most the 5 year mark because it's not worth the trouble when they go dead like miller said and also your alternator will last a lot longer on average with a fully charged battery.
On my Moms MGM i lost tract of her battery age because it always looked brand new and it was 10 years old and was still borderline ok when i replaced it.
It's worth the $80.00 for a new battery that's over 5 years old

Doors open for 20 minutes. I'm sure that bulb inside her car won't even draw one amp. You're pretty good at cracking us up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back