Bosch WS filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this awhile ago to put on daughters Camry v6, glad I didn't. Cheap feel all around except paint job and box graphics, can measured .012-.013" thick. Media looks OK. Two piece baseplate came apart has a seal between the discs. The adbv was installed off center, there would have been no adbv function, and her filter points partly downwards. I reassembled it and big gap. No good, fail. ADBV is pressed onto metal, was made this way, nothing I did. My cut was clean at the seam but I had to pry the edge out to remove the inner baseplate. This is made by Purolator. Date code F10D23D2
DSCN1024_zpsssqzfywm.jpg
DSCN1025_zpsvixgvg7p.jpg
DSCN1026_zps2ggneiro.jpg
DSCN1027_zps3dsi2gwi.jpg
DSCN1028_zpshhfrqqsi.jpg
DSCN1029_zpspnoqzbqw.jpg
DSCN1030_zpspcurwnng.jpg

People started looking inside of them and learning the truth.

Purolator was a bankrupt company before the two German entities came on scene. This was an opportunity for Bosch and Mann-Hummel to have North American production for a very low price.

In my opinion Purolator never was anything more than a cheap aftermarket filter. I noticed the compromised media 6-7 years ago when I bought a Mann filter for a Ford. My discussion with Mann told me the history of the Purolator purchase but also showed me that they didn't really care that their product was failing in the field. Fast forward to 2015 and I won't buy their filters even for my lawn mower. No corporate integrity means NO SALE.

At one time, Purolator oil filter were a great value for the money considering their construction & quality!

I think that people have always been looking inside Purolator filters. This is how the tearing issues has been caught! And is still being monitored by the consumer until the issue is fixed by Purolator. And then, we'll keep cutting them open!

smile.gif

Yeah they like to keep mentioning that on their website as a reason for why we should buy their filters. They may have created the first spin on oil filter but that means nothing now since their reputation is in the dumpster along with their awful oil filters. I wish they'd man up and admit the problem and what they're doing to fix it.

Everything they touch (including their air filters) are banned from my garage for life on principle.

OP: When you say the filter points downward are you referring to it sort of looking crooked? Like one side of the media is shorter than the other or was squashed harder. It's like it's doing a detroit lean or something.

Thanks for cutting and posting. I was going to buy some of the WS filters for my A6 thinking that they would be just as good as the German made Premiums, but I'm glad I didn't.

Quote:
Yeah they like to keep mentioning that on their website as a reason for why we should buy their filters. They may have created the first spin on oil filter but that means nothing now since their reputation is in the dumpster....

The 'they' when they created the spin on filter, is not the same 'they' as now. Since 2006 one half the 'they' was Mann&Hummel along with Bosch. Since the first quarter of 2013 the 'they' is Mann&Hummel alone.

So while the name on filter still says Purolator (or in this case Bosch), the buck now stops directly at the door of Mann&Hummel.

As for topic filter, it's basically a Purolator Classic.

Hold on... the adbv isn't just off center, it's upside down. Am I right or are my eyes crossed?

Originally Posted By: webfors
Hold on... the adbv isn't just off center, it's upside down. Am I right or are my eyes crossed?

I was just looking at it, and yes IT IS UPSIDE DOWN, as well as off center. I pulled it off, it was quite stuck to the metal, and turned it over to see. No adbv valving at all. I have a Bosch 3330 I am going to cut, no way I will use their products again. Plus the can is thin.
I was going to install this thing on my daughter's Camry, where the filter points partly down. The box and paint job would make you think you are getting a fancy black forest German product carefully made by experts at their job, but you're getting garbage.

Actually I looked at it more, it wasn't upside down. I opened the other Bosch 3330 I have and it is the same. When not off center and deformed it sits on the holes perfectly that way. But the way it was on this one, it was not preventing back flow at all. So the 3330 would have been OK, but what are we supposed to do, weld them back together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back