Bosch Reman Alternator

My own car that I got with a smoked engine and needing a lot of under the hood repairs needed an alternator, the old one was ruined by acid wheel cleaner and not rebuildable so on the hunt for another.
Dealer is $500-600 remans are also expensive but I came across this one from Bosch, check the prices. I got it from Summit, it took about 3 weeks but it is good 14.2v with everything running or not. Very nicely done with an amazing warranty. It pays to shop around!

The warranty..

Congratulations on your purchase of a Bosch Alternator or Starter and receiving the complimentary Roadside Assistance program. As part of your benefits, you received Roadside Assistance coverage for two years from registration. PRINT AND KEEP THIS DOCUMENT IN YOUR VEHICLE.
Your Sign & Drive Roadside Assistance coverage includes:

• Towing - to a facility of your choice within 50 miles
  • Jump Start Service
  • 24x7 live agent service
  • Coverage in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico
Whenever you are in need of the above mentioned services, simply call the toll free number. You will be prompted to provide the program MEMBER NUMBER (listed below) and a live agent will assist, asking the necessary questions to process your dispatched service including vehicle VIN number, make, model, location, etc. Service will not be provided on an unattended vehicle.

TOLL FREE NUMBER: 1-855-870-1967
MEMBER NUMBER: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
VALID THROUGH: 01/06/2024

SERVICES NOT INCLUDED
The Program provides service for most emergency situations but does not include:

• Service if the operator is not with the disabled vehicle (however if you cannot remain with the vehicle for safety reasons, we will attempt to provide service).
  • Service if the vehicle was involved in an accident, theft or vandalism.
  • Service for RV’s, fleet vehicles, vehicles off road, trailers; vehicles over 1 ton capacity, commercial vehicles, vehicles already at a repair facility or on roads where state/provincial provides are exclusively utilized.
  • Towing or service on roads not regularly maintained including private property.
  • Installation or removal of snow chains nor dismounting, repairing, or rotating tires.
  • Vehicle storage charges, cost of parts and installation, products, materials, impounding, and additional labor related to towing.
  • Service to vehicles with expired safety inspection, license plate, and/or emission sticker where required by law.
  • Service to vehicles that are not in a safe condition to be towed.
  • Service in areas not regularly traveled, such as vacant lots, beaches, open fields or other places that would be hazardous for service providers.
Important: Since all Authorized Service Providers are independent contractors and not agents or employees of the Administrator, the Administrator can assume no liability for any damage to your vehicle resulting from the rendering of service or for personal items left in the vehicle. Any claims for personal injury or damage to the property of a member must be filed against the servicing facility.
Emergency Roadside services are provided by Roadside Protect, Inc.

Bosch has its own reman factories around the world, this one was done in Michigan. I buy reman Bosch power tools that are also done by their own factory unlike most other manufacturers that have them done by a third party. Even if it was just returned say to HD for buyers remorse it has to go back to them and they go through it. Never had a bad one.

I use Autozone/Orielly in a pinch. Summit Racing is my go to for hard to find parts. That's a great deal on your alternator. I made been switch over to Mechman alternator on my GM vehicle. For the price you can't beat the reliability and output. They somehow mange to stuff in 2 rectifiers and 12 diode's for redundant reliability. I had to only lengthen my ignition wire slightly to fit due to the clocking of plug having two rectifiers.

EF50EF2A-82B5-4303-9EB7-334754F39A30.jpeg
A1737157-FF88-412C-852A-A6933EB763DA.jpeg

Bosch has its own reman factories around the world, this one was done in Michigan. I buy reman Bosch power tools that are also done by their own factory unlike most other manufacturers that have them done by a third party. Even if it was just returned say to HD for buyers remorse it has to go back to them and they go through it. Never had a bad one.
I didn't realize that was the case. Thank you for the info.

I went to the Bosch website above and it does not include a "store locater".
I called the toll free number and a receptionist could only forward my question and promised a return call from someone.

Thanks Trav for the info. Sooner or later someone will need a quality rebuild far away from my rebuilder.

Summitracing is legit.. predates internet IIRC they have 3-4 locations and they are massive and amazing.

One is local to me (talmadge ohio).

Their website is not the best but is very useable.. just not too pretty. you can search rockauto and take your part numbers to summit's website if the summit website isnt cooperating (ie shows 1900 products for your search)

My Mercedes uses Bosch also for alternators. Autozone had the Bosch and a few others listed. The regular one was about $180 as a reman and up to $350 for new, but even at $180, it was a lifetime warranty and I figured it'd be easier to get a replacement from Autozone and to do the core than to mail order it from some place like Rockauto or Summit and then have to deal with mailing the core back. Autozone is also good in that I ordered in the afternoon and it actually shipped out of their local warehouse at 9pm the same day and I got it the next day. I also used a coupon code to get it down to $180. Looked the same as the old alternator which was also a Bosch. Three years later, it's still going so we'll see if I have to take them up on the lifetime warranty.

My 97 Explorer has a new Bosch, as in new when replaced, not reman. So far so good, it's about a year old. Can't remember country of origin.

I'm not clear on this, is it a Bosch core reman by someone else or reman by Bosch itself?
I realize Trav explained that Bosch does have their own remanufacturing facilities but even if someone else did the work, Bosch is standing behind it. To do that, they would almost certainly require certain levels of work quality, components, and so on to be used.

Back