Bosch Premium oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I was wondering if anyone here uses one of these?

We don't have them up here, but I have heard that they are not all that expensive in the US, and the efficiency numbers seem very good. From what I understand it uses a blended media.

The efficiency numbers are 93% on the multipass test and 98% on the SPE. This compares favorably to the M1 filter which is 95% on the MPE and 98% on the SPE, and the PureONE which is 96% on the MPE test.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

The efficiency numbers are 93% on the multipass test and 98% on the SPE. This compares favorably to the M1 filter which is 95% on the MPE and 98% on the SPE, and the PureONE which is 96% on the MPE test.

At which particle size? A screen door may be "98% efficient" at filtering out most particles, but I wouldn't want to use one for an oil filter!

As Amsoil dealers now sell Bosch products are the filters also included in the Bosch line. Can an Amsoil rep answer the questions posed above?

My B-I-L says no, they are only selling Bosch wiper blades, plugs, and wires (for now).

Who knows, next week they may be selling copper bracelets.

The Bosch Premium(as opposed to their standard filter) has a mix of synthetic and conventional media. That makes me consider it a short drain filter, though better than most.

quote:

Originally posted by kev99sl:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

At which particle size? A screen door may be "98% efficient" at filtering out most particles, but I wouldn't want to use one for an oil filter!

I'm not sure at what particle size, however on the MPE test I believe that it's a standard SAE test so it is probably a good comparison between filters of different makes. So if one filter shows an 80% MPE, and another shows a 90% MPE, the 90% one is definitely more efficient.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
The Bosch Premium(as opposed to their standard filter) has a mix of synthetic and conventional media. That makes me consider it a short drain filter, though better than most.

Why would it be a short drain filter? A standard AC Delco filter is not even a blend at all, yet AC Delco says it will easily go the full distance in the Corvette's 15,000 mile oil change intervals. I believe an OEM filter has to be like that, since they have to take into account worst case scenario. With the premium filters, I think that because they filter out smaller particles, they are less likely to last 15k than an OEM filter that doesn't trap as small of a particle. Most people that use premium filters will end up changing them at a much sooner intervals than the average person who goes to their dealer and has an OEM filter put on.

These are the second highest priced Champion Filters (other than Mobil 1's). In examining cut open filters at Auto Zone, I'm unconvinced that the filtering media is that much better than STP or other standard grade Champion filters.

What ever happened to the paper tech who worked for the company that supplied Champion (and other brands) filters? Haven't seen his posts on Edmunds for well over a month. Maybe the company shut him up. Anyway he was extremely knowledgable. Although he tried to remain neutral, he did state that Super Techs were top quality. As far as I know Super Techs, Car and Driver's, and STP filters are all identical.

Someone should dig around in the "Best Oil Filters and Why" threads on Edmunds and try to find him. He was knowledgable. Too bad Edmund's search engine is still lacking.

[ July 02, 2002, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

I'm guessing tsjay (Tom) got bored and dropped out.

Too bad, I hope he finds this place and posts here. It's a good crownd and there's less 'fluff' to wade through.

Just looked it up. 1 year or when oil change monitor says, or if OCM is accidently reset, at 3000 miles since last oil change. This indicates to me that severe duty (pure short trips) will cause the oil change monitor to set in 3000 miles. Average use will probably get you 7-8000 miles and pure highway/no stop and go will take you to the 15k. The filter is a PF44. This is a standard paper filter. I'd have trouble leaving a paper filter in more than 8k.

Just from my experience with motorcycles. The paper element becomes brittle after a while. This applies to the air cooled and the water cooled bikes. This is not the case with PerForm filters, which are synthetic.

With the paper filters do you think it's more a function of time or mileage where they deteriorate? For instance, would you be more worried about a filter that was on a car for a solid year but with only 6k on it, or a filter that was on a car for 6 months with 10k on it?

Either one will do it. I'd not leave one in more than a 6 months or 8k. Course this is anecdotal. I may be as bad as someone who won't leave oil in 3k, even synthetic. Maybe the media has changed in the past few years. Gues it's mainly a question of comfort zone.

I guess the way I see it, is partly that if GM thinks their OEM filters can last one year or 15k, then they must have tested it somehow. But also, at the same time, GM doesn't really care all that much about whether or not we get long engine life or not, just that the engine lasts as long as the warranty period.

I don't know if I'll be doing longer than 6k oil intervals anyways. I may just stick with Maxlife at 6k intervals, I'm still undecided. And if I did go longer, to say 12k intervals, I'd probably change the filter at 6k anyways.

[ July 03, 2002, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I use Bosch filters because they seem to be a good value for the $. When I emailed Champ tech support many months ago asking about the Bosch line, they gave me the same efficiency figures other have quoted, but also said the filters were rated at 15 micron...for what that's worth.

quote:

Originally posted by Canuk:
Patman:

I've seen Bocsh oil filters at Canadian Tire. Are these not the ones you were looking for?

Probably not. I too have seen the regular Bosch filters at some select Canadian Tires, but it's the Bosch Premium that is their better filter. How much were they at your CT? Around my area the CTs only carry the K&N, Fram, Motomaster (which is Fram), Quaker State (which is Fram) and the Formula 1 filter (which is also Fram)
frown.gif
They also have the double guard Fram and the X2 Fram (which is expensive but still sucks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back