Bosch plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
They originated from "my brother's dad's friend's brother".

I have NEVER seen objective proof.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I used all of the following plug brands (both conventional and platinum) in my Honda and could tell virtually no difference other than the fact that the metal part on the Autolite plugs rusted.

Champion (US built Honda, came with these OEM)
Denso
NGK
Bosch
Split Fire
E3
Autolite

I am not sure where all these plug myths originated.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Even German cars do not always use Bosch. I just did a set on a 330ci and the OE plugs were NGK.

This.

Also, many Volvos came from the factory with Champion.

NGK, Denso, Champion, etc, all make good plugs. This internet legend of Bosch not belonging in "Japanese cars" is sort of like witchcraft. Some believe it, many others do not.

Originally Posted By: TTK
This internet legend of Bosch not belonging in "Japanese cars" is sort of like witchcraft.

This cracked me up. You are so right!

NGK, Denso, Champion, etc, all make good plugs. This internet legend of Bosch not belonging in "Japanese cars" is sort of like witchcraft. Some believe it, many others do not.

I am a member of 5 Lexus/Toyota forums. Over the last 15-20 years, there have been many, many reports by competent and sane folks about Bosch 02 and A/F sensors not working, i.e. CEL stays on. Pop in a Denso and all is ok. Don't know about Bosch plugs but I prefer NGK for any application.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Ya dont put bosch plugs in a jeep!

I drove my Cherokee almost 40,000 miles with Bosch plugs in it. (They were the only one I was able to find from a first-world country!)

I ran Bosch +4 plugs in my Scion TC for 60k miles with no issues. I recently replaced them with the new Denso TT Iridium plugs just because I was curious.

But in general the Bosh multi prongs do seem to be more issue prone than some others. Their conventional Super Plus plugs are great traditional plugs, but I would only put the multi prong plugs in a car where they are easy to replace just in case.

Last edited:
I'm using Bosch +4 plugs and Bosch wires in my LS1 Camaro. They're the best plugs I've had in that car (including the original Denso, and NGK), but any perceived differences are very small. Any claims that you shouldn't use them in non-German cars are nonsense.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

I am a member of 5 Lexus/Toyota forums. Over the last 15-20 years, there have been many, many reports by competent and sane folks about Bosch 02 and A/F sensors not working, i.e. CEL stays on. Pop in a Denso and all is ok. Don't know about Bosch plugs but I prefer NGK for any application.

How do you know said people put in the proper plug? The part numbers are pretty strange and it's easy to miss being off by a digit.

Originally Posted By: dparm

How do you know said people put in the proper plug? The part numbers are pretty strange and it's easy to miss being off by a digit.

Because they are all frequent posters who know what they are doing.

Last edited:
So nobody here ever tried Golden Lodge plugs?

20073149315_lodge.JPG

I ran Bosch plugs in my Taurus ... everyone said that Ford's ignition systems don't like Bosh plugs. Even though the coil pack was made by, wait for it , Bosch.

To me - a spark plug is a spark plug is a spark plug

Originally Posted By: dparm

Because they are all frequent posters who know what they are doing.

High post count doesn't always equal knowledge. Also, I had no idea there were vehicle forums in 1995.

"High post count doesn't always equal knowledge. Also, I had no idea there were vehicle forums in 1995."

I got my first computer in 2000 when I retired. Been reading/posting on automotive forums for as long as I can remember. Maybe it has been closer to 10-15 rather than 15-20 years. Good catch Sherlock. Post count does not matter but that is not what I was referring to. Trying to keep my post brief but will elaborate for you. I determine a poster's credibility by the content of their posts, the complexity and success of their repairs, their use of high quality tools/techniques instead of shade tree butchery, their ability to diagnosis and recommend correct solutions to newbies and how well their advice matches my personal experience. Eg, Trav on BITOG.

Last edited:
I too ran Bosch Platinum IR Fusion on my 01 Taurus (Vulcan) and it was fine without any problem. Traded it in 2 years later still doing fine.

It really depends on application, it supposedly not the right heat range for GM application and people complained a lot, and google / amazon review is your friend looking for these application issues.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
So nobody here ever tried Golden Lodge plugs?

20073149315_lodge.JPG

not unlike the NGK's I put in the sirocco.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ngk+...lay&first=1

Just a standard side-gapped plug. but for a vehicle originally designed for a side-gap plug, what a difference they can make over a conventional plug!

The bosch platinums never ran well in that VW. once I put in the side-gapped NGK's it was (and still is) like a new vehicle. no more hard starts.

the down side is that the electrode wears quicker this configuration, but you have an open flame front and 3 or 4 sides to fire from so you still get 20-30,000 miles from a set of plugs.

I used to sell auto parts and saw many broken new Champion plugs come into the store. Intact the Champions worked fine, but wore quickly due to soft electrodes. The tiny bit of soft electrode that is shed with every spark can actually aid ignition, but if you have anything better than breaker points it probably doesn't matter. Autolite plugs you could hardly hurt and worked well for a cheap plug, but since they started coming from China and my time became more important than the little bit of money I might save I only buy NGK or Denso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back