Bosch Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
RockAuto lists so many Centric brake pads that one needs to look closely to the selection as not to order the wrong ones. RA lists:

C-Tek semi-mets & ceramic
Just semi-mets & ceramic
Posi-Quiet semi-mets & ceramic
Posi-Quiet Extended Wear

It's confusing when they're all mixed with other brands as well.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
To each their own I guess. I didn't choose these pads, unfortunately, the dealership did. I wouldn't have chosen the Bosch QuietCasts (Confirmed by part number) as I had noise issues with them on a previous car as well. However my main concern is the safety aspect. I drive the wife to her daily commute every morning, and people are always crossing the street in front of me between cars- ie, I have to hit the hooks. I could be doing 10-15 MPH and the pads fade and the car keeps on creeping. Almost rear-ended someone once too when they decided to not make a turn at the last second. Point being, if I slam on the brakes at that low of a speed, the car should stop [censored] near in it's tracks, not keep moving with no air between the floor board and the pedal.

Does that mean it's only the pads, no, but the rotors look good to my experienced eye. Could they have gotten glazed in the bed-in process, maybe, but unlikely. Never had that issue before either though.

I called out Bosch as the culprit as anyone would if they had more than one bad experience with a brand. Nature of the beast, not brand shaming for fanboy purposes. There are so many choices of pads it can be overwhelming, so I was curious if anyone had luck with something in particular on the Passat. When I do the rears on the Jeep this weekend, it will be getting the Wagner OEXs. It's too bad NAPA doesn't have the Adaptive One's that I love for the Passat.

Was this a VW dealership? If it was and it was a CPO, I'd be complaining to VWoA about it, since they should be using VW maintenance parts which are not Bosch aftermarket parts.

Check all 4 of the pads very carefully, you could have a crack in friction material that goes through to the backing plate = squeal maker.

I had this happen with my VW, but it could have been any car.

If I want to know what a dealership did to a used car that it serviced before I purchase it, I go to the dealer and get copies of the service invoices. I've done this many times BEFORE buying. It helps me determine if they're putting lipstick on a pig.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Trav

Correct. Clean, lube the pins and use CRC Disc Brake Quiet on the back of the pads, reassemble and its done, no more noise 100%. If it stops okay with these pads regardless of who made them there is no need to toss them.

Sweet advice, thanks!!

In addition, take some sand paper on a block and work over the sides of both rotors. This happened to me with a grand cherokee and new pads and even red goop didn't totally resolve it. Red goop, along with consistently roughing up both sides of the rotors, did. good luck!

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back