Bosch Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Bosch Premium oil filters at Autozone and understand the filtering element is about the same as the Pure 1 - purolator cellulose + synthetic.

How about the Bosch Distance Plus oil filter? Has anyone seen or used these? The filtering element is full synthetic. What would this be? a Pure 2?

I have not seen them for sale anywhere, just on the Bosch web site.

I inquired at the local AutoZone about the Bosch "Distance Plus" model, and they knew nothing about it. I'm wondering if it's something new that just hasn't hit the streets yet, or maybe just sold in Europe or ??.

I love it when these companies say "99.9% efficient" At WHAT level?!? This info is useless since even a regular paper filter can be 99.9% efficient..at about 40 micron or so.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I love it when these companies say "99.9% efficient" At WHAT level?!? This info is useless since even a regular paper filter can be 99.9% efficient..at about 40 micron or so.

True ... but it says: "Note: Comparisons are based on ISO 4548-12 testing against a leading economy filter."

Maybe the ISO standard is to base the efficiency at 20 microns. Without seeing the exact wording of the ISO test, you don't know. I'm betting their 99.9% efficiency is at 20 microns like Purolator and many others base their number on.

I ran this in the filtration test against a Puro Classic and a PureONE...including media close-ups photos. The Bosch Premium is a PureONE..no doubt in my mind. The 99.9% therefore must mean at 20 microns like the P1.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I ran this in the filtration test against a Puro Classic and a PureONE...including media close-ups photos. The Bosch Premium is a PureONE..no doubt in my mind. The 99.9% therefore must mean at 20 microns like the P1.

I don't doubt it. I wonder what the Bosch "Distance Plus" is going to be then? Maybe deeper pleats for longer OCIs? I can't really tell from Bosch's website.

Here's the Bosch "Premium" ... doesn't even talk about efficiency % ... but I think the boxes do have some kind of rating on them (?):
http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/Pages/PremiumOilFilters.aspx

Here's the Bosch "Distance Plus", which shows the 99.9% efficiency and shows a red gasket like the PureONE.
http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/Pages/DistancePlusOilFilters.aspx

My theory is that the Bosch Premium will become the Purolator Classic clone, and the Distance Plus will become the PureONE clone.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

I don't doubt it. I wonder what the Bosch "Distance Plus" is going to be then? Maybe deeper pleats for longer OCIs? I can't really tell from Bosch's website.

Here's the Bosch "Premium" ... doesn't even talk about efficiency % ... but I think the boxes do have some kind of rating on them (?):
http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/Pages/PremiumOilFilters.aspx

Here's the Bosch "Distance Plus", which shows the 99.9% efficiency and shows a red gasket like the PureONE.
http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/Pages/DistancePlusOilFilters.aspx

My theory is that the Bosch Premium will become the Purolator Classic clone, and the Distance Plus will become the PureONE clone.

I could see that theory coming true

+1
We'll see. I may have to cut, photo, and test one more time.....
I love a mystery!

+1
We'll see. I may have to cut, photo, and test one more time.....
I love a mystery!

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm up for one more since it's a new development.
thumbsup2.gif

If the Bosch Premium becomes a Classic clone, this will drop its filtering efficiency from the current PureOne level. Ha, they could call it the "Bosch Semi-Premium." It's possible, since big corporations like cost-cutting measures.

A second possibility is that the Bosch Premium will remain unchanged, while the DistancePlus has equal filtering, but has superior flow, capacity, and construction. Exciting, but perhaps I'm just projecting my wishes on reality here.

A third possibility is the DistancePlus will have worse filtering than the Premium, just to get the high capacity required for extended intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bruce T

A second possibility is that the Bosch Premium will remain unchanged, while the DistancePlus has equal filtering, but has superior flow, capacity, and construction. Exciting, but perhaps I'm just projecting my wishes on reality here.

A very viable theory there. It might have slightly deeper pleats and/or a full synthetic media to obtain longer OCIs than there Premium filter.

A third possibility is the DistancePlus will have worse filtering than the Premium, just to get the high capacity required for extended intervals.

They claim the Distance Plus will have 99.9% efficiency, and I'm assuming that is at 20 microns like the PureONE.

Will have to see when they hit the streets.

They claim the Distance Plus will have 99.9% efficiency, and I'm assuming that is at 20 microns like the PureONE.

And they removed that rating (if it was there before) from the Premium on their website.
I don't recall--maybe that was just on the filter box and not on the site.

When they hit the shelves here, I'm keen to find out myself and report.

Will have to see when they hit the streets.

You're right, that shoots that possibility down.

Yes, river_rat, the Bosch Premium filter box still says 99.9% without referencing any standard. Yes, I'm also curious if the Bosch website never stated this percentage or they removed it.

I'm still curiouse if indeed the bosch premium and P1 are really the same. I have searched and search but cannot find truth to this claim

+1
DieselTech, look at the media closeups and filtering results I posted on the "filtration comparisons from the bench" thread here a month or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back