Bosch D+ D3410, ~4000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off my brother in laws 2004 F150.
Filter has around 4000 miles/9 months on it, 168,700 miles on the truck.

This truck has had an issue with a lot of debris in the filter, something bad is going on inside it.
The last filter was also a D3410.
One before that was a CQ Red (Wix made)
Before that was a Pureplus filter
This one looks similar to those. I was kind of hoping it would get better since the truck is running right and getting regular changes, but I guess the damage is done (and continuing).

Filter:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like made June 29, 2016:

[Linked Image]

Base plate with added magnets:

[Linked Image]

Silicone ADV, nice and pliable:

[Linked Image]

Nice open louvers:

[Linked Image]

Intact media with good spacing:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lots of debris inside can:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Debris in pan:

[Linked Image]

I have not cut open the media yet, it is wrapped in paper towels drying more, so will be cutting and posting it up later. I am sure it will not look good.
I have told him again he really needs to get rid of this thing before it dies on him, but he is not concerned.

I also have a cheap action camera that I decided to record the process with:

And what went in:

[Linked Image]

I used a TG2 filter, and I know the jugs are QS, but it was actually more of the Castrol GTX HM 5w-20 (I had a eco pack of it that started leaking, so I put it in the jugs).

All that material with no obvious problem almost has to be timing chain tensioner(s). I bet you can hear 'em slapping at idle. A chain will break eventually if it isn't fixed. That stuff's not good for the oil pump, either.

The 3 valve 5.4 ('04 to '07 mainly)is is know to have issues with it's cam phasers, which in turn cause timing chain issues.

If you read back on the thread from the Pureplus thread, there is a lot of info in that one.

The truck is dying. I have told him this. Best case is it is the phasers/timing chain. Repair is expensive, around $1500 just for parts (phasers, chains, tensioners, oil pump, VCT solinoids, gaskets etc), and another $1500 or so for labor (not something I think I could do on my own even if it was my own vehicle).

The engine has actually been very quiet since I started changing the oil on it (after I got it running again). The quickie lube had been using 5w-30 in it, and it was noisy. Since I have been using xw-20, only about 1/2 second of noise at startup.

I want to do an autopsy on that engine when it gets unbearably noisy, but hasn't died completely

Yea, lots of junk in there but that filter is definitely working. Thanks for the pics and video.

Originally Posted by blupupher
even if it was my own vehicle).

The quickie lube had been using 5w-30 in it, and it was noisy. Since I have been using xw-20, only about 1/2 second of noise at startup.

Isn't it easier to search for the number 5 on your keyboard, versus-that of searching for an X..... then searching for the W?

Why do so many posters here type xw, instead of the number? I have never found any oil listed as xw-20, in any auto-parts store or it's aisle where oil is located.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

The quickie lube had been using 5w-30 in it, and it was noisy. Since I have been using xw-20, only about 1/2 second of noise at startup.

Isn't it easier to search for the number 5 on your keyboard, versus-that of searching for an X..... then searching for the W?

Why do so many posters here type xw, instead of the number? I have never found any oil listed as xw-20, in any auto-parts store or it's aisle where oil is located.

Because he saying that he uses a 0W or 5W.

"Since I have been using xw-20"

Vs

"Since I have been using 0W-20 and 5W-20"

The first reads better while still getting the point across.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Because he saying that he uses a 0W or 5W.

"Since I have been using xw-20"

Vs

"Since I have been using 0W-20 and 5W-20"

The first reads better while still getting the point across.

Yup. x is a variable. As said above, much less typing involved.

We technically if you know how to type you aren't searching for letters and the letters are easier to use than the numbers on a standard key board. Even if using a mobile device touch pad letters are easier than numbers.

When using XW-20 it implies that he is only caring about the warm viscosities and not the cold ones.

It might be time to look for something else to drive or a new engine. I had a 2005 F-150 that had 215,000 miles on it when I sold it and it ran like new and didn't use a drop of oil. The previous owner put on a ton of road miles and had the oil changed every 3,000 miles no matter what. He had all of the paper receipts in the glovebox. Normally I don't buy high mileage trucks but that one was a 4 door Lariat that was loaded and I had bought a bigger boat at the time and didn't want to spend a ton of money on a new truck. I think those 5.4 Fords like frequent oil and filter changes to prevent all those cam phaser problems you hear about. Thanks for the C&P!

Well, since the pic links were erased when they emptied the test forum (where I had been putting my pics), I happened to find the old phone I had taken the pics on, so here are the pics.
Sorry to bump this, but wanted the pics to be with the post.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Looks like a Purolator no rips, no tears, no cuts and no errors

✅

Status
Not open for further replies.