Fram TG2, 3985 miles/6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Fram ToughGuard TG2 from my Brother in laws 2004 F150 with the 5.4 3v.
172685 miles on truck, 3985 miles/6 months on the filter.

This is the filter history of this truck:
Last one was Bosch D+3410
Prior was also a D+3410
One before that was a CQ Red (Wix made)
Before that was a Pureplus filter

It has issues, but this is actually one of the better looking as far as less metal flakes (but was a little shorter run mileage wise)
The engine is not long for this world, but I said that 16,000 miles ago as well.

A TG2:
[Linked Image]

Baseplate:
[Linked Image]

Nice pliable silicone ADV:
[Linked Image]

Well spaced media:
[Linked Image]

Still quite a bit of stuff in the filter, but again, not as bad as previous:
[Linked Image]

Inside the can:
[Linked Image]

Put on another TG2 and added 5 qts Valvoline Max-Life Synthetic 0w-20 and 2 qts VWB SAE 30.
[Linked Image]

Also did another video dissection:

Still am actually surprised the truck is running. I keep telling him he needs to sell it before it dies, because once it dies, it is worth scrap.
At least if he sold it now he could get something for it.

But it is not my decision, I will just keep changing the oil and other maintenance items on it till it does die.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
If its close to death, why are we dumping the thinnest possible oil to be found, in it?

Why not 15W40?

It makes more noise with thicker oils.

The life of this engine will not be determined by the oil viscosity.
Plus I for one am a believer in thin oils for these engines with the VCT solenoids being picky as well as the cam chain tensioners liking thinner oil.
Only reason I put the 2 qts of SAE 30 in it was because I needed to use it up (I got rid of all my OPE, so have no use for it), not as a need to thicken it.
With the shorter mileage change intervals, it will not make any difference.

Could just be a dirty engine, and a regime of quality HM oils is cleaning carbony-junk from the engine.
Saw the same stuff in the pan for the first 3 changes of oil in my Soul, and it has lots of visible varnish on engine parts (thru filler, dipstick)

Originally Posted by addyguy
Could just be a dirty engine, and a regime of quality HM oils is cleaning carbony-junk from the engine.
Saw the same stuff in the pan for the first 3 changes of oil in my Soul, and it has lots of visible varnish on engine parts (thru filler, dipstick)

For the carbon, I could agree, it could just be getting cleaned out, but the metal shavings?
Unless the metal was embedded in the carbon/gunk inside the engine so there is less in there now?? I had never thought of that.
I have to admit it seemed to start and run better when I picked it up last night/drove it back today than I remember, and it also is very quiet (as mentioned before, every time I drove it before I repaired it, it had the infamous 5.4 3v "diesel" knocking sound, I thought it was toast then, and this was 50,000 miles ago).

I know he drove it a good 10-15,000 miles running very poorly (spark plugs with huge gaps, 2-3 cylinders misfiring/dead coil, clogged cats), and that may have causes some serious sludge/carbon buildup.
I have been wanting to pull the VCT solenoids on this to check them (the '04 can be done without removing the valve covers), but am scared if I mess with it, it will not work afterwards.

Funny thing is I was not planning on using the HM oils for any particular reason other than the fact that I had a bunch of it.
I also just realized that this is the first time I have not used Castrol in this truck (1st 2 changes were with GTX syn-blend, last 2 were GTX HM), and I am not generally a Castrol user (nothing against them, it just is never on sale with rebates, so just cost too much for me, but the blend was AutoZone clearance and the GTX HM was an online Walmart pricing error that the honored).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back