Boron Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could very well be, although I believe EXM is using a different compound called, "phosphorilated borons."

Selenium cmpounds were omce used as oil stabilizers but its toxicity outweighed it's stabilizing attribute.

The safer Amines are now used as oil stabilizers and antioxidants.

"Kule,

I found this to be a very interesting white paper ....you should consider teaching when you retire from aerospace or when those "Eurotrash" Airbus folks buy you out...
wink.gif
Hey - just kidding!

The original version of the S2000, 20w-50 and 0w-30 from the 1995-1996 time frame showed about 200-300 ppm of potassium in the used oil analysis, along with about 50-60 ppm of Boron. I suspect this was the specific type of chemical form that you have referenced above. I noticed that the K went away in the version of the S2000 that I purchased in the fall of 1997 to run in my '97 Jetta GL, but the boron level increased by about 50%. So they reformulated the stuff after several years and haven't returned to this particular chemistry....

Ted

There are three major borate compounds in use as additives:

1. phosphorilated borates

2. amide ester borates (pure boron in ester base)

3. potassium borates

4. succinimide borates as dispersants

Much depends on which additive company gives the best deal on a particular Lot of additives to the Blender. I would assume Amsoil is no different.

quote:

Much depends on which additive company gives the best deal on a particular Lot of additives to the Blender. I would assume Amsoil is no different.

I agree. Amsoil is just like any other company, except maybe Redline and Molekule's, in that they too formulate to meet a price point. Look how they went to group III basestocks with the XL line.
smile.gif

I've got 454 grammes of Sodium tetraborate decahydrate.

Should I add this to my engine oil ?

quote:

There is a class of additives that deposit solid films by the action of “electrophoresis,” which will be explained later. Potassium Triborate (commercially in the form of
[K2O (B2O3)3], and Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3), fall into this class of additives that can form a rather tenacious coating on the sliding and shearing surfaces of machine parts. For example, the OilXtreme product usues a special CaCO3 additive in concentrate form. In some cases, the borates are in the form of “Overbased” Borated Sulphonates (OBS’), which of course contain boron, calcium, and sulfur

I would guess that the slight oil consumption when switching over to M1 EP could be from plating of the Boron and Calcium. The car also feels smoother then it has been with 1,500 miles on the M1 EP so far.

A significant parameter in oil consumption (assuming a tight engine) is the mix of PAO's used for the base oil.

If they start with 100 or so vis oils and thin to target viscosity, then they may have a relatively non-volatile oil.

If they start with a 40 cSt oil and then thin to target viscosity, volatility may suffer.

I doubt the Ca or Boron has anthing to do with it. The Boron "plasticizes" like the ZDDP when subjected to pressure.

There is no plating with any modern compound except the moly disulfide used in gear lubes.

I haven't seen Noack volatility numbers on the M1/EP formulations?. However, generally the higher the additive "treat" level, the higher the evaporation rate (carrier oils tend to be fairly volatile).

I think this is a much more likely cause of oil consumption with any very high TBN, high ZDP oil....

Tooslick

quote:

I think this is a much more likely cause of oil consumption with any very high TBN, high ZDP oil....

Then we should see high consumption/volatility with HDEO oils.

http://www.rtvanderbilt.com/news_19.htm

quote:
We have found unexpectedly good antiwear performance for this additive. OCD-289 is a non-phosphorous, non-sulfur additive which provides antiwear performance exceeding ZnDTPs in our bench screening test.OCD-289 is an excellent candidate for an antiwear agent to meet the proposed ILSAC GF-4 Performance Standards that places limits on both phosphorus ( 0.05% max.) and sulfur (0.50% max.) in the finished passenger car engine oil. The borate in addition can form an iron borate with the metal surface and as a result applies a hard surface layer directly to the metal.

Newbie question:

What about hexagonal boron nitride ?

It seems to be pretty versatile and is used is several engine oil additives and may be in some Igol oils (their F1 ceramic range).

Thanks.

Quote:
And my number one priority is my grandchildren (2 1/2 right now).

Well, it's Five (5) as of now and that appears to be the limit.
31.gif

Hi,

Some of this has me curious:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
. . . Potassium Triborate (commercially in the form of [K2O (B2O3)3] . . . can form a rather tenacious coating on the sliding and shearing surfaces of machine parts. . . . In some cases, the borates are in the form of “Overbased” Borated Sulphonates (OBS’), which of course contain boron, calcium, and sulfur. . . . “Overbased” Borated Sulphonates are often added to large batches of oil to reduce the TBN. Some additive companies offer Borate esters which may contain some or all of the above components. . . .
In 1967, tribological and chemical studies indicated that AW and EP films could be formed by lubricants containing borates. In 1976, J.H. Adams of the Chevron Research Company, patented a number of Borate Lubricants for Gear Lubricant applications. Since that time, a number of additive companies and internal oil company labs have produced many boron-type additives for gear, engine, and grease applications. Recently, Argonne National Lab’s Tribology Laboratory Section has done extensive studies with Boric Acid (H3BO3). Luboron’s products have arisen from these studies.

For gear lubes, the Potassium Triborate is in a finely dispersed form and usually mixed with soluble organic compounds for synergistic effects. While most AW or EP compounds form surface films by thermal decomposition, borate films form by electrostatic attraction, with the metal surface having the opposite charge of the boron particles, which promote a “static cling” effect. Once attracted, the borate films become solid films, and not chemically reacted films. . . . In engine oils, the microparticulate borates are prepared by dissolving an alkali metal borate in the presence of a metal sulfonate and succinimde dispersant to form a micro-emulsion which is then added to a base oil, or as part of an additive package. When an oil uses this additive, an analysis of that oil will show both potassium and boron.

The concentration of borate additives is in the range of 0.5% to 2% by weight. Any concentration less than 0.5%, or larger than 2%, shows up as increased wear in the 4-Ball Wear Testing machine. A. . . .

A side benefit of the borates in motor oils and gear lubricants is their action as mild detergents and as acid reducing agents. Their alkili chemistry helps to retain the oil's TBN, or Total Base Number as well.
If I read this correctly:
  • potassium triborate - the most throughly covered boron additive. It may be enhanced by calcium carbonate?
  • Borated Sulphonates - huh? "Overbased"? Are these hydroxides?
  • boric acid - mentioned as an Argonne Labs effort
  • borate esters - sounds like a patent avoidance trick as esters then to be organic based

My interest is in boric acid as an additive but my own testing does not reveal a measurable effect. As for the other forms, it isn't clear that we have a way to measure what is already in the original, Mobil 1, or a specific oil additive product. Did I miss something?

Bob Wilson

dude , I misread Borate as BORAT...

too many "films" for me, ROFLMAO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back